Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Makes sense a little bit, but in what world would a forecaster term 18”+ snowfall in a period as “snow showers?”  It happens a lot out there.

I guess the question is why would you say snow showers at 2-4” accumulation and then use the same at 24-36” in a given period?  What differentiates them?

The forecast posted above has 25-31 then 48-54 for today-tonight.  The 24-hour record (76" IIRC) might be in danger.

Good news for those concerned about peaches and pears and what not.

Unless an early spring includes another mid-May freeze.

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I've seen 0.3" ice in early April - once, on Mile Hill 400' higher than my location - but 3/4" that late is amazing.

The vast majority of Northeast ice storms I can recall were much earlier in the cold season:
Nov 1921:  mostly in New England
Jan 8-9, 1953:  The hilly country N and W from NYC (>1" ice at our NNJ home)
Dec 11-12, 1970: NNJ, 3/4" ice
Dec 17-18, 1973:  Major damage W CT/MA
Dec 13-14, 1983: 3/4-1" N. Maine
Jan 8-9, 1998:  1.5-2.5" ice, terrible (also Jan 6-7 in PQ)
Dec 11-12, 2008:  2" ice?  Centered in ORH area

Jan 1994?  Maybe the 18th as that cold (in Gardiner, the light tower event) storm had a strong warm tongue - 5° at home, 40s with SE gales at RKD.

I'm sure there are others.

It’s tough to do anywhere in Napril but especially the CT shore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Man. What a blocky and stormy month unfolding, especially 10th onward. Late month even goes weeniesh. Fighting climo at that point though but the interior should stand down and standby. 

Well color me surprised lol…We tried to tell ‘em…nobody wanted to hear it. It’s over, and Spring is here is all you hear.  Unfortunately, that never happens especially in March in SNE, except for March of 2012(the unicorn), but we always knew that wasn’t happening.   

• Weenie 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

We’ll color me surprised lol…We tried to tell ‘em…nobody wanted to hear it. It’s over, and Spring is here is all you hear.  Unfortunately, that never happens especially in March in SNE, except for March of 2012(the unicorn), but we always knew that wasn’t happening.   

It doesn’t look all out crappy either but definitely not an ideal warm spring pattern. Whatever weather we desire lately, mother nature has a way of handing us the shaft.

• Like 1

I’m from the MidAtlantic forum and don’t post here but thought I would share with you a picture I just took of the condo I’m staying at Donner Pass in California. Our weather has been shitty so I decided to chase this epic Sierra snowstorm. Mind you, this building is four stories tall and it’s on the leeward side of the wind direction, but still….

IMG_1612.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, katabatic said:

I’m from the MidAtlantic forum and don’t post here but thought I would share with you a picture I just took of the condo I’m staying at Donner Pass in California. Our weather has been shitty so I decided to chase this epic Sierra snowstorm. Mind you, this building is four stories tall and it’s on the leeward side of the wind direction, but still….

IMG_1612.jpeg

Holy crap!!!

35 minutes ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1612.jpeg

thanks for sharing.  that is wild

Pretty strong sig on the GEFS for 8 days out. EPS has a pretty good sig too but it’s a little delayed and slightly different evolution. The GEFS look is definitely more likely to be snow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty strong sig on the GEFS for 8 days out. EPS has a pretty good sig too but it’s a little delayed and slightly different evolution. The GEFS look is definitely more likely to be snow. 

It's been there since the time period in question first emerged through the outer 'coherency horizon'  Like 15 days out lol. 

This particular 12z cycle is actually less than previous, but at this range?  -that's allowed.

I'm not dubious of the signal, per se.   I am however leery about background seasonal change.   There have been plenty of significant storms with frigid cold and wind hauling talcum powder ...all the way to Easter. If we are going to be lucidly rational about our chances here, however ...for every week that goes by climatology lowers those odds.  

But, I feel ( probably not a shared vibe, okay - ) like our climate has shifted shorter. Springs are earlier.  It's like March 1 2024 is March 20th 1997.   I was thinking that last week, and then some of these individual runs kind of started looking like April 1 back whence.  I was like, 'no shit' ...Even if only hinted it's supporting my point. 

Anyway, that's conjecture.   I mentioned a couple days ago that this was a candidate for holding off on a thread until perhaps 5 days. 

I don't hate the telecon spread for this.   I just don't like the climate smear/seasonality shifting shit, combined with the sun modulating b-c fields