Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:
This Afternoon
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 27. Windy, with a southwest wind around 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind 55 to 60 mph decreasing to 49 to 54 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 48 to 54 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Steady temperature around 18. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a west southwest wind 34 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a west southwest wind 37 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible

insane!

MT Tolland?  Thats a lot even for them!  

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Instead of "Heavy at Times" it should just be "Heavy all of the Time."

On an aside, I've always wondered why most of the western forecasts use "Snow Showers" instead of just "Snow".... maybe  @OceanStWx can shed some light on how the grids are populated out there verses the Midwest and East.  Because it does not matter the accumulation, most of the mountain forecasts out west all use "Snow Showers" as the description.

Today: Snow Showers.  Four feet worth of Snow Showers.

That's really a forecaster discretion kind of thing. I'm not aware of any policy that states all offices should use "showers" out there, but I know around here we generally try and focus on what will public perception be.

Like if we're going to upslope and I have likely PoP, and there are always flakes in the air, the public is going to say it's snowing, not there are snow showers. So I'll change all wx at 55% PoP or greater to stratiform. 

It's possible the terrain out there is so unwieldly with the grids, that they do showers for ease.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, klw said:

Well they can hardly say it wasn't forecast

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Love that first comment…

I look forward to the day when we are able to know the weather outlook in advance.

Yup—there’s always people that are completely unaware of a forecast or what’s happening. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's really a forecaster discretion kind of thing. I'm not aware of any policy that states all offices should use "showers" out there, but I know around here we generally try and focus on what will public perception be.

Like if we're going to upslope and I have likely PoP, and there are always flakes in the air, the public is going to say it's snowing, not there are snow showers. So I'll change all wx at 55% PoP or greater to stratiform. 

It's possible the terrain out there is so unwieldly with the grids, that they do showers for ease.

Makes sense a little bit, but in what world would a forecaster term 18”+ snowfall in a period as “snow showers?”  It happens a lot out there.

I guess the question is why would you say snow showers at 2-4” accumulation and then use the same at 24-36” in a given period?  What differentiates them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Makes sense a little bit, but in what world would a forecaster term 18”+ snowfall in a period as “snow showers?”  It happens a lot out there.

I guess the question is why would you say snow showers at 2-4” accumulation and then use the same at 24-36” in a given period?  What differentiates them?

I don't have a good answer for that. That's why I think it's probably more of a grid based issue. Like the software can get really angry when you are trying to isolate individual grid boxes that don't connect in some way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Days and days of rain...
This gonna be a pain...
Our plans have been slain...
As the rivers get a gain...

So tell me once, no tell me twice!
Come on now, just be nice.
As we try to miss cripling ice
There are veggies to slice and dice.

On days and days of rain...
Thus is our pain...
For our plans have been slain,
As the rivers get a gain...

From the mountains high,
To the valleys low
Our winter buzz has begun to slow.
And as trees and plants bud and grow,
Spring arrives to our skies.

Cause on days and days of rain...
It is our pain...
As all our plans get slain,
The rivers flow and gain...

(I was bored and then saw the forecast and might have to cancel my plans in Jamaica...)

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

992662808a0a019ca03c97e37a27970b.jpg

Death, taxes and spring in New England.

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

Key Points

* Periods of wet weather with above normal temperatures through Wednesday

* Unsettled weather Thursday into the weekend, but uncertainty remains high.

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Man. What a blocky and stormy month unfolding, especially 10th onward. Late month even goes weeniesh. Fighting climo at that point though but the interior should stand down and standby. 

Trump, is that you?

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

S CT near Bethany had a major .75 “ icestorm in Napril a few years ago 

I've seen 0.3" ice in early April - once, on Mile Hill 400' higher than my location - but 3/4" that late is amazing.

The vast majority of Northeast ice storms I can recall were much earlier in the cold season:
Nov 1921:  mostly in New England
Jan 8-9, 1953:  The hilly country N and W from NYC (>1" ice at our NNJ home)
Dec 11-12, 1970: NNJ, 3/4" ice
Dec 17-18, 1973:  Major damage W CT/MA
Dec 13-14, 1983: 3/4-1" N. Maine
Jan 8-9, 1998:  1.5-2.5" ice, terrible (also Jan 6-7 in PQ)
Dec 11-12, 2008:  2" ice?  Centered in ORH area

Jan 1994?  Maybe the 18th as that cold (in Gardiner, the light tower event) storm had a strong warm tongue - 5° at home, 40s with SE gales at RKD.

I'm sure there are others.

• Like 1