Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I wonder if Boston has ever finished with 2 winters in a row under 15"? I think last winter they had just under 13" and this winter under 10" as well. It's just as bad there/even worse based on averages. 

Boston has never had two consecutive seasons with less than 20" of snow. The lowest two season average was 17.4" (1979-80 and 1980-81).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Boston has never had two consecutive seasons with less than 20" of snow. The lowest two season average was 17.4" (1979-80 and 1980-81).

Interesting. I just checked Pittsburgh, which is still on track for two consecutive seasons of 20” or less. Looks like it’s only happened once dating back to 1879, but it was three seasons in a row (1930-31, 1931-32, and 1932-33). Of course, that was when observations were still downtown at the city office, which is about 400’ lower in elevation and averaged about a foot less than at the airport (although some of that is probably attributable to changes in observation procedure). Prior to last year, there had only been three years since then with less than 20” (1937-38, 1973-74 & 1990-91).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

28 degrees won’t do much damage. This isn’t like the late season one we had some years back which was devastating

Point and click here is 27 degrees tonight and 24 tomorrow night. Tomorrow night might be pretty bad if winds go calm, and often our low goes below the point/click. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Point and click here is 27 degrees tonight and 24 tomorrow night. Tomorrow night might be pretty bad if winds go calm, and often our low goes below the point/click. 

Tomorrow in the burbs will be very cold. Could easily go below forecast. 

Low 20s will do damage but it's still pretty early in the growing season even with all this warmth lately. 

46 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yikes. I think their worst snow season ever is only a few tenths below this winter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Tomorrow in the burbs will be very cold. Could easily go below forecast. 

Low 20s will do damage but it's still pretty early in the growing season even with all this warmth lately. 

I think generally it'll be okay here, again if it holds the bugs/mosquitoes off for a while I consider it a win. All this rain will mean swarms of them soon. :( 

9 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

If you do apply this early you'll need another application to cover you for the entire growing season. 39 and drizzle here, blah and 20s are a lock up here in he coming days. 

Any advice for hairy bittercress, which is already running amok?

6 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Any advice for hairy bittercress, which is already running amok?

I know barely enough to be dangerous so no, but I have a crop of that again this year too. I think that germinates in the fall, so maybe pre emergent makes sense in the fall too? I need to research it because each spring the hairy bittercress gets worse here. I just know that the crabgrass pre emergent lasts three to four months depending on the weather and there are various types of crabgrass that germinate at different times of the spring and summer. 
27 here currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

30 here

Looks like March 1st was not the last freeze for the city. 

Goes to show even in increasingly warmer climates we can still get later freezes. 

That doesn't bode well if the growing season gets earlier and earlier though. 

• Like 4

Figures that the strongest MJO 8 since December would wait until the start of astronomical spring. So we may have to be really patient for our next 70° day. It could take until April if the models are correct about the next 10 days. 

1F5DBBF3-5E11-4884-987A-B52A155273E4.png.ec753cb03fbefccf67890111658ef56d.png

E52F7405-C2AE-4291-92F9-D4480E65591A.thumb.gif.e565a0bfda69209e83c5ef585b5c18e2.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

31 now.  coldest 36 hours till next winter occurring (likely). Warmer and wetter starting this weekend.  2 - 3 inches of rain.  Beyond there overall warmer but multiple systems keep it wet, between the systems perhaps some strong warmth under the ridge.

vis_nj_anim.gif

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 76 (1938)
NYC: 84 (1921)
LGA: 70 (1948)

Lows:

EWR: 16 (1986)
NYC: 10 (1885)
LGA:  18  (1986)

Historical:

1801: The Jefferson Flood hit the Connecticut Valley. The flooding was the greatest since 1692. The Federalists named the flood for the new President, who they blamed for the disaster.

1932 - A tornado swarm occurred in the Deep South. Between late afternoon and early the next morning severe thunderstorms spawned 31 tornadoes in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Tennessee. The tornadoes killed 334 persons and injured 1784 others. Northern Alabama was hardest hit. Tornadoes in Alabama killed 286 persons and caused five million dollars damage. (David Ludlum)

1952 - Severe thunderstorms spawned thirty-one tornadoes across Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and Kentucky. The tornadoes killed 343 persons and caused 15 million dollars damage. Arkansas and Tennessee each reported thirteen tornadoes. The towns of Judsonia AR and Henderson TN were nearly wiped off the map in what proved to be the worst tornado outbreak of record for Arkansas. A tornado, one and a half miles wide at times, left a church the only undamaged building at Judsonia. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1987 - A winter storm in the Northern High Plains Region produced blizzard conditions in western South Dakota. Winds gusted to 70 mph at Rapid City SD, and snowfall totals ranged up to 20 inches at Lead SD. The high winds produced snow drifts six feet high. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Bitterly cold weather prevailed across the northeastern U.S. Portland ME reported their coldest spring day of record with a morning low of 5 above, and an afternoon high of just 21 degrees. Marquette MI reported a record low of 15 degrees below zero. (The National Weather Summary) (The Weather Channel)

1989 - Snow blanketed the northeastern U.S. early in the day, with six inches reported at Rutland VT. Morning and afternoon thunderstorms produced large hail and damaging winds from southwestern Mississippi to southwest Georgia. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - The first full day of spring was a cold one for the eastern U.S. Freezing temperatures damaged 62 percent of the peach crop in upstate South Carolina, and 72 percent of the peach crop in the ridge area of South Carolina. Elkins WV, which a week earlier reported a record high of 82 degrees, was the cold spot in the nation with a morning low of 16 degrees. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)