Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

So I'm 20 miles north of 84 in western Dutchess county and NWS Albany still has a winter storm warning for a total of 4-8 inches. They also haven't updated a storm briefing from 4am today. Are they smoking something? I'm thinking 1-3/2-4 max . I would love to know they are thinking. 

My point and click still has 7 to 13 in mid Westchester. Warning was lowered to 6.  We won’t touch either.  I suspect the update at like 3 am, waiting until the 0z suite rolls in to confirm everything.  

Well folks, I just looked at all the major recent models at 0Z and 18Z (that haven't run 0Z yet) and apart from the GFS (not counting the CMC or UK which are too "old" now), the consensus is growing pretty strong for a colder storm with less intense snow (and less rain to start) putting down maybe 6-9" of 10:1 snow (of which maybe 5-7" actually accumulates at maybe 8:1 ratio) with 32-33F temps during the 4 am to 10 am timeframe where 90% falls (still a respectable 1" per hour of falling snow) and this seems to be the case for the whole 95 corridor from Trenton (and maybe even SW to Philly) to SE CT and 30-40 miles NW of that line and 30-40 miles SE of that line.  Sure some folks who thought they were going to get smoked are likely not and some who thought they were out of it (SE of 95 especially) will do well and at least NYC metro looks to do decently (on grass at least), which is nice given how long it's been for them.  And who knows, maybe some of us will get a few inches more than expected with some better rates than are being forecast right now.  

That's all a preface to say that if you had told me a week ago or even 2 days ago that this event might deliver 5-7" of snow, I'd have been ecstatic. Sure getting a monster storm over a foot would be awesome, but this is way better for snow lovers than an inch of sloppy slush on only grass many of us were looking at.  I'm going to go out and walk around in this at least every 30 minutes and measure and hope I can get to my prediction of 7.2" for my house made last night, but considering my first guess was 2" two days ago, I'm pretty sure I'll be smiling on my JebWalks around the neighborhood.  Pretty sure I'll even make a snowman with this stuff and a snow angel or two.  Enjoy it folks and then let's hope a few of these other threats over the next 10 days deliver at least a few inches and maybe one blows up.  It's been a pleasure tracking with everyone and I hope at least most of you get the snow you hoped for (or some of it).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

My point and click still has 7 to 13 in mid Westchester. Warning was lowered to 6.  We won’t touch either.  I suspect the update at like 3 am, waiting until the 0z suite rolls in to confirm everything.  

They updated the forecast late this afternoon from 7-13 to 4-8 but nearly every piece of guidance shows barely anything. I think it's pretty obvious where this is going. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we got only a dusting. They also didn't update the briefing from 4:30am that shows Poughkeepsie area getting 8-12. It's just strange. 

12 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

So I'm 20 miles north of 84 in western Dutchess county and NWS Albany still has a winter storm warning for a total of 4-8 inches. They also haven't updated a storm briefing from 4am today. Are they smoking something? I'm thinking 1-3/2-4 max . I would love to know what they are thinking. 

Im 1 mile N of 84 and im only expecting 1-2" the most

• Like 1