Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 minute ago, BlizzLuv said:

AccuWeather has my town at 1-2" and TWC at 5-8". So 1-8 inches....lol.

I would be excited with 3-5 inches - which falls in the middle.

im right up the street from you across the border in Montgomery....Im thinking sloppy 3-4 inches similar to that last one...higher amounts maybe on grass

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suzook said:

Lol, some are just NEVER happy.

Correct. It would also be nice if everyone could admit they're not infallible and sometimes you're wrong; in this case, forecasts. It would helps us out so much personally, politically, professionally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Has got to be some cutting of the totals by NWS at some point for along and north of Rt. 80.  I don't see their current forecast of 8-10, 10-14 verifying along and north of 80 and west of 287.    I'm thinking 4 to maybe as much as 6 for my area and the 6" is a MAYBE.  Not liking the current trends for more than 6" up this way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

Orange County went from 12-15" on the 12z 3km NAM to a dusting to an inch. That's brutal. The south trend might not be over.

Wouldn't be so bad for the immediate metro if this didn't also coincide with a weaker storm. Means little in the City without good rates even if in the main band of precipitation.

1 minute ago, ILoveWinter said:

Wouldn't be so bad for the immediate metro if this didn't also coincide with a weaker storm. Means little in the City without good rates even if in the main band of precipitation.

Models still show the heavy band but it’s over the city and cnj now 

NAM is great for NYC/LI and area.

It's been over 700 days since SW Suffolk county and most of Long Island has seen more than 2.5" of snow... I honestly thought 3 years was in the making...

Thinking 4-6"... Maybe more if we get lucky... it's been a long time coming...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Models still show the heavy band but it’s over the city and cnj now 

Verbatim per NAM it's still good for NYC for several inches. I'd be very happy with that, just hoping the trend stops here and we don't get further weakening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

A quick note on the short-range ECMWF and GFS: there is statistically no difference in skill between the two models at one day or less from an event.

image.thumb.png.016ce9608548c91eb530ef871820f9fa.png

image.thumb.png.008b181dc58ad313dafde7d9f943b486.png

Those scores are always nice to know for accuracy from a big picture perspective, but what's important right now and in every storm is which model is most accurate for snowstorms and are there different types of snowstorms one vs. another model is better for?  And nobody has ever really given more than anecdotal opinions on that that I can recall.  

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Those scores are always nice to know for accuracy from a big picture perspective, but what's important right now and in every storm is which model is most accurate for snowstorms and are there different types of snowstorms one vs. another model is better for?  And nobody has ever really given more than anecdotal opinions on that that I can recall.  

Unfortunately, there are no model verification scores for synoptic features.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Watching storms like this is like watching a college basketball game between two rivals.  The whole game may be exciting, but it's always the last 2 minutes that decide it, and we're at like the 12 minute mark of the second half.

I do believe we see a tick back north for the 0z runs…. The new RAP ticked slightly north and the newest HRRR held serve 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Has got to be some cutting of the totals by NWS at some point for along and north of Rt. 80.  I don't see their current forecast of 8-10, 10-14 verifying along and north of 80 and west of 287.    I'm thinking 4 to maybe as much as 6 for my area and the 6" is a MAYBE.  Not liking the current trends for more than 6" up this way.

TWC just showed 8-13" in both the warning statement and total accumulated snow which is bat$hiT for up this way given current trends.  I'm with you.  3-4" is looking more likely now.  It could change again, but the trend is not our friend.

• Like 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic