Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Would be amazing if after all this time this misses to the south and hammers Coastal NJ while NYC see's light white rain. I just don't see it happening though but have to keep on eye on this trend.

I personally still believe LI, NYC, S CT, CNJ take a hard hit here. Dynamically makes sense to me. However, there is always the potential this shifts further South. Given the downstream observations though, I would say this cannot correct too much further south. Some rather heavy rains and storms transversing the Carolinas. 

• Like 2

It was not an overnight event. Destroyed the evening commute. Started at 2, peak was 4-6 PM. So heaviest was during dark, but just after. https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/new-york-city/KNYC/date/2018-11-15
I was stuck in that storm. 7 and a half hours to get from the Bronx to home in rockland county

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have seen the Euro cut back last minute and be wrong many times.

Jan. 27, 2011 was one example. It cut back precip to .50" of precip inside of 24 hours. NYC received close to 20" of snow.

There are other examples as well.

When you have the GFS showing much more precip with dynamic banding + the Rgem/NAM and others agreeing, I would toss the Euro.

I believe this is a 4"-8" snowfall for NYC/LI metro area with a risk for even higher, if the GFS deform band placement ends up right.

• Like 2

Just now, SI Mailman said:

Won’t it already be puking snow before daybreak which would help get a layer in before your sun angles come in to effect?

Yes. NO one has sad this. Start time is approx midnight for light rain transitioning to Snow by 4-5am... Sunrise is close to 7AM. 

3 minutes ago, SI Mailman said:

Won’t it already be puking snow before daybreak which would help get a layer in before your sun angles come in to effect?

Looks like a 5-8am change to snow for the coast.

35 minutes ago, ag3 said:

There's a deform band of 2"-3" an hour. I dont care what the city ground temp is, if it snows that hard, it will accumulate.

Wherever the deform ccb sets up, will receive 6"-12"+. Right not, most models place that around NYC.

As for the Euro, it has done these types of whacky precip cuts many times in these situations.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Im a nervous wreck about it. That said, all the other models on the same page (ish) does carry more weight then the EURO alone on an island. But I am scared as the EURO is arguably the best of them all

• Like 1

Sensitive interactions from the northerly NAM/GFS/HRRR to the southerly models (EC) that do not match the just issued WPC 17z/12 D1 QPF.  Also, the WPC snow amount probs are quite high N of I80. So, as someone said, spooky-unsettling but we 've got to go with as smart a forecast we can. 

How about the SPC HREF: Yikes.  Huge.  One thing I see is that banding should be pretty large Poconos through nw NJ se NYS-CT-BOS near and just of I84 per 12z/12 NAM HRRR and HREF.   Again though its your modeling of choice. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 1.50.22 PM.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Sensitive interactions from the northerly NAM/GFS/HRRR to the southerly models (EC) that do not match the just issued WPC 17z/12 D1 QPF.  Also, the WPC snow amount probs are quite high N of I80. So, as someone said, spooky-unsettling but we 've got to go with as smart a forecast we can. 

How about the SPC HREF: Yikes.  Huge.  One thing I see is that banding should be pretty large Poconos through nw NJ se NYS-CT-BOS near and just of I84 per 12z/12 NAM HRRR and HREF.   Again though its your modeling of choice. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 1.50.22 PM.png

It's hard to discount the Euro wholesale.  It's been south a couple of times over the last few days of model cycles only to recover northerly.  On those occasions, the EPS held steady.  THIS time the EPS followed suit south.  THAT concerns me.  

4 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

It's hard to discount the Euro wholesale.  It's been south a couple of times over the last few days of model cycles only to recover northerly.  On those occasions, the EPS held steady.  THIS time the EPS followed suit south.  THAT concerns me.  

To me, with less than 24 hours until game time, I'd expect the ensembles to more or less agree with the Op. Typically we see large variations several days out and is why the EPS mean is a good tool at those lead times.

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic