• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Following a Miller A/B hybrid type coastal potential, Feb 13th ... As yet untapped potential and a higher ceiling with this one

Typhoon Tip

3k looks like a little bump north from 6z with the precip shield. What a hard call on the northside, esp MA/NH border and NE MA area. Nam and hrrr make it easier to discount the euro, were 6hr closer within 24hr now, but the stakes are high. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've become more and more disillusioned with clown maps...they are lazy and often too wrong...looking at mid-levels and soundings is way better.

That's exactly how I feel. When they first became a thing they were fun to look at and interpret them but I seriously think they are a detriment to the field. When I was at school and there were winter storm threats the first thing most everyone did when the models came out were go right to the snow maps. It's really sad. At least for me, part of the storm enjoyment is the hardcore analysis and assessment. 

9 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

3k looks like a little bump north from 6z with the precip shield. What a hard call on the northside, esp MA/NH border and NE MA area. Nam and hrrr make it easier to discount the euro, were 6hr closer within 24hr now, but the stakes are high. 

Going to be a sharp cutoff....I don't think it goes from like 10-12" to 2" in 10 miles....but it could go from 12" to about 5-6" in 15-20 miles.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've become more and more disillusioned with clown maps...they are lazy and often too wrong...looking at mid-levels and soundings is way better.

Even just qpf maps are more valuable most of the time. Unfortunately, its rampant in the field now across the field now

• Like 1

Just now, wx2fish said:

Even just qpf maps are more valuable most of the time. Unfortunately, its rampant in the field now across the field now

Agreed....QPF is very useful, though even that can be iffy at times, but QPF is an order of magnitude better than snow maps. When it comes to coastals, give me some good Mid-level maps with fronto and a few soundings....the QPF map can then be used with those other variables to get a more accurate picture of the potential snowfall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed....QPF is very useful, though even that can be iffy at times, but QPF is an order of magnitude better than snow maps. When it comes to coastals, give me some good Mid-level maps with fronto and a few soundings....the QPF map can then be used with those other variables to get a more accurate picture of the potential snowfall.

Be that as it may, the nam and 3k clowns sure are purdy this morning.

• Like 1

Devils in the details. Goalposts have shifted. I get it, happens every single snow event. Oh, my goodness which model is "less wrong" and choose your poison.
Think about the trends and bias of each.
Stick to your guns, there should be no emotional invest, no control just go with the trend and blend.
Yea, TREND AND BLEND 
A killer CCB FTW    

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ha!   I know you guys don't normally look at the FOUS ( it's an old habit of mine ...) but my god at the QPF at Logan comparing prior runs.

since 12z yesterday's NAM ...every model cycle had been stubbornly putting out 2 intervals of QPF/liq equiv, and the numbers are always .5"-ish followed by .3"-ish  ... totaling ~ .8".  It just was not changing for that location.

12z just now?         .27"  +    1.04"  +   .22"       hahaha    my goodness

• Like 2