Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Discobs 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Went to Davis and Deep Creek yesterday.  Not a flake of snow to be found.  Nothing but bare ground.  46F in Davis at 3,000ft+.  What a winter.  

Wow, that is sad for this time of year.

There was so much hope and promise going into this winter.  Outside of one nice winter week it's just been a series of nice drought busting rain storms.  If snow still happens and it probably will (  hopefully the week I am at the Virginia home )  I want to have something to shovel and a reason to rent an AWD rental car while I am there!

I think this winter ends up a D. If there is a HECS or MECS for the wrap up then maybe a C? 

A few snows and a few weeks of winter maybe the new best case for mid-atlantic winters because things sure seem to default to liquid not frozen.   

32 minutes ago, snownut said:

Wow, that is sad for this time of year.

There was so much hope and promise going into this winter.  Outside of one nice winter week it's just been a series of nice drought busting rain storms.  If snow still happens and it probably will (  hopefully the week I am at the Virginia home )  I want to have something to shovel and a reason to rent an AWD rental car while I am there!

I think this winter ends up a D. If there is a HECS or MECS for the wrap up then maybe a C? 

A few snows and a few weeks of winter maybe the new best case for mid-atlantic winters because things sure seem to default to liquid not frozen.   

You'd have thought we were there in the middle of May.

Screenshot_20240204_113136_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Six mile hike and three mile walk (the latter with the dogs) yesterday - today 5 miles at lake Roland this AM and now about to knock out five more at Oregon Ridge - was 30 degrees at 9 am at lake Roland (mt. Washington) area of north Baltimore - now at 43 at Oregon Ridge. Gorgeous blue skies, no wind. Oregon Ridge is packed with families and walkers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You'd have thought we were there in the middle of May.

Screenshot_20240204_113136_Gallery.jpg

I need to get out to Davis.  I heard there's some legit mountain biking there, too.

I saw a recent post on X that we actually have more snowfall to date than some parts of Minnesota.  That's absurd.  I think with temps the way they are, we don't want to can kick to March.

I won't lie, though...the weather the last couple days has been absolutely amazing.  Hardly a cloud in the sky.

Low of 27 this morning.
Wife heard the birds chirping outside. She said "winter's over", and I responded "I don't think it's over yet."
I hope I'm right, so I can say "I told you so" 

“Wife is always right” -wife
  • Haha 1

27f this morning.

Been scraping a lot of windshield frost past few days.

Woodstove going early. Cracked open a new pile of 3 year red oak on Saturday and uncovered a hibernating bat. (Suppose I should post a pic)

eta: OK, I put it in the Gardening thread, (but it still reads 2023):

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58709-2023-mid-atlantic-garden-lawn-and-other-green-stuff-thread/?do=findComment&comment=7195990

• Like 2

There's a little spot on the side of Sycolin Rd between leesburg and broadlands that was situated perfectly to build a massive drift after the second January snow. I've been keeping my eye on it and looks like it'll finally disappear today.

3 weeks of snow on the ground in that one spot...impressive.

Also, I don't know if I've already started to adjust to warmer temps but the breeze today made 42° feel so cold.

• Like 3

22.9 here for a low. This last week with clear skies and 20's for lows and sunny and around 50 for highs is perfect for maple sap and it is running pretty hard. I have trees oozing without even being tapped lol. Don't forget the Highland County Maple festival is a little over a month away!

• Like 1

15.7 degrees this morning.  Thats 10 degrees colder than normal!!

Regarding the lack of snow at Blackwater Falls, I remember visiting the summit of Spruce Knob at 4862 ft. during the winter back during the early 70's.  It was 8 below zero at the summit at mid afternoon. There was not a trace of snow anywhere!!  That was 50 years ago.  It sometimes happens that way.

1 hour ago, stormy said:

15.7 degrees this morning.  Thats 10 degrees colder than normal!!

Regarding the lack of snow at Blackwater Falls, I remember visiting the summit of Spruce Knob at 4862 ft. during the winter back during the early 70's.  It was 8 below zero at the summit at mid afternoon. There was not a trace of snow anywhere!!  That was 50 years ago.  It sometimes happens that way.

Had to be either '72 or '73. 

2 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Another nice day....feels springy in the sun.

It sure does. It will feel even warmer in a few weeks. Which makes me think even with the very good pattern coming up we may be warm. But I’m keeping the faith for cold and snowy late February.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic