• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Article in the Washington Post yesterday that latest studies show the Gulf Stream may collapse due to fresh water glacial melt sooner than previously thought, like within a few years.  Could cool things off over 30 degrees...mini ice age.  Maybe that will kill the SER.

Thank god 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

Ok I did start this, but it was in reference to our current pattern. We should probably continue the sulfur and coming ice age discussion in the CC thread so the sensitive snowflakes that get the vapers when anything about warming is mentioned don’t show up to bitch and complain. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

Here is one reason why I have eyes on PD despite the op gfs showing a rainstorm.

Feb 13-14 was supposed to be a cutter and was depicted as such up until earlier this week. And we don’t even have cold air anywhere nearby. I think we will see it evolve in our favor once the models work out the northern stream under a greenland blocking regime. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Article in the Washington Post yesterday that latest studies show the Gulf Stream may collapse due to fresh water glacial melt sooner than previously thought, like within a few years.  Could cool things off over 30 degrees...mini ice age.  Maybe that will kill the SER.

What the issue with a little mass ecological destruction when it comes to us getting more snow? 

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It appears our epic pattern has run into a few elephants along the way! :lol:

Don't worry, the pattern will actually become epic in late March/early April and then we'll have endless backdoor cold fronts through May. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

JB says hug the JMA MJO and arctic air will come east later next week....

IMG_3165.png

This generally agrees with the hovmollers diagram DarkSharkWX posted a couple of pages back. I wouldn’t discount weak p1/2 just because the Jma said so

• Like 1

This is a good look on the EPS with significant NS energy tracking eastward and phasing into the 50-50 low ahead of the southern shortwave. The tricky part will be the next piece of energy dropping southward as the wave continues to track east.

1708171200-iIRbnqSk6S4.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This is a good look on the EPS with significant NS energy tracking eastward and phasing into the 50-50 low ahead of the southern shortwave. The tricky part will be the next piece of energy dropping southward as the wave continues to track east.

overall good changes, better chance of phasing and brings the vortex more E

IMG_4760.png?ex=65da4317&is=65c7ce17&hm=d794eebe7f0e603dc1c63a0a0ab3f2bd4b9f4d65c3134911a33de5041de07db4&

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I just want a legitimate threat to track next week and this Euro run got me excited for that so mission accomplished.

12z GEFS: PNA is negative for "PSU storm".. I don't care what the NAO is doing, the Pacific has overwhelmed the Atlantic constantly since 18-19. I mean, with the way it's trending, we may end up in the 50s. I still think PD is our best shot at snow, because it has the most favorable upper latitude pattern. 

When subsurface ENSO changes happen, the N. Pacific pattern does adjust, sometimes even despite what is going on at the surface. It's a fairly successful forecasting method. 

The -NAO/-PNA/+EPO, +NAO/+PNA/-EPO correlation is holding. Models were showing a break, but it backed off of the short term -NAO, associated with +PNA, and went stronger on long range -NAO associated with -PNA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately what’s allowing it to come further north (a more relaxed flow than expected) is also allowing for thermal issues. We need that NS wave to play nice. Come across ahead and set the boundary. Or phase in behind. Riding right over the top is not going to work. It’s got a shot. I never said it didn’t.  But it’s still more complicated than I like. I’m tracking it through. Just have nothing to add really. 

Is there a science reason the ns wave seems to always be on top of the ss wave or is it just bad luck ?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic