• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

He’s a shill but methinks he’s pulling in some nice coin…

He sells dreams to weenies who hang on to the bitter end....I had read here earlier that most of the commercial clients bailed since his forecasts were too cold.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s def some support for one last blockier pattern starting the 2nd week of March….we’ll see if it actually materializes. A March big dog would at least get this winter out of the bottom rung if we could improbably pull one off. 

I suspect that -NAO results down wind and time post an eastern continent/mid latitude burner pattern - should that occur.   Lawns may even be in the process of tinting green ... crocuses opened up and a daisy here or there ... then reality -

That's not atypical post early warm ups.  The troposphere moves down stream/elevates ...etc, but than if the hemisphere pulls the plug on R-wave structures in that same window, that warm plume ends up stuck between 600 and 200 mb near Baffin Island and we're stuck in a butt-banged spring.

The Euro control run has a heat burst ... exceeding 576 dm non-hydrostatic ridge that is very much an R-wave anchored scenario into the first week of March.   It is the control run, but frankly ...the telecon projections have been setting that table for a number of days now ( last couple days of Feb through about the 6th of March), but the operational version won't show up for the party. I've read recently the current control run is going to be promoted by mid summer fwiw -

Either way, the blocking between Mar 15 and May 15 has been a plaguing spring killer around here for years of repeating tendency - regardless of any leading/traditional correlators too ( don't get me started..).  Seeing that showing up is worth it to monitor do to that awareness, but ... my point here is that there's some conceptual reasonability in seeing some sort of -NAO ... Whether or not that is tied to an AO umbrella index hat ...I don't know -

I'd like to get the control run to verify just so I can bust out my road bike and some outdoor runs ( speaking of working out).  Open some windows and breath.  We can deal with a 2018 if we have to later on.

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Either way, the blocking between Mar 15 and May 15 has been a plaguing spring killer around here for years of repeating tendency - regardless of any leading/traditional correlators too ( don't get me started..). 

Not according to DIT.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Is the euro control now the op?  When does that go into effect if not?

Yeah ...again, I read that it's going to replace by mid summer.   But it was also tied into a platform change too -

I'm not sure how accessibility to J.Q. public and/or subscription ... all that will be effected by a different product arrangement.   I think there's an AI embedded too, by the way.

changes comin'

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I suspect that -NAO results down wind and time post an eastern continent/mid latitude burner pattern - should that occur.   Lawns may even be in the process of tinting green ... crocuses opened up and a daisy here or there ... then reality -

That's not atypical post early warm ups.  The troposphere moves down stream/elevates ...etc, but than if the hemisphere pulls the plug on R-wave structures in that same window, that warm plume ends up stuck between 600 and 200 mb near Baffin Island and we're stuck in a butt-banged spring.

The Euro control run has a heat burst ... exceeding 576 dm non-hydrostatic ridge that is very much an R-wave anchored scenario into the first week of March.   It is the control run, but frankly ...the telecon projections have been setting that table for a number of days now ( last couple days of Feb through about the 6th of March), but the operational version won't show up for the party. I've read recently the current control run is going to be promoted by mid summer fwiw -

Either way, the blocking between Mar 15 and May 15 has been a plaguing spring killer around here for years of repeating tendency - regardless of any leading/traditional correlators too ( don't get me started..).  Seeing that showing up is worth it to monitor do to that awareness, but ... my point here is that there's some conceptual reasonability in seeing some sort of -NAO ... Whether or not that is tied to an AO umbrella index hat ...I don't know -

I'd like to get the control run to verify just so I can bust out my road bike and some outdoor runs ( speaking of working out).  Open some windows and breath.  We can deal with a 2018 if we have to later on.

I'll take a March blizzard

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'm headed to Florida April 2nd so it will probably happen then. I missed two of the March snowstorms in the 80s being in Florida on spring break. More fun down there but hate to miss a March snowstorm.

I’m heading to Florida on March 15 haha. We escape. 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sorry for the OT guys, but worthwhile read during this down time for anyone struggling with addiction, or who knows someone who is.

https://45pedrospupils.blogspot.com/2024/02/a-decade-of-reflections-on-my-recovery.html

OMG, Ray, as someone who has lost family members to addiction, this was so inspiring.  Keep it up!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Largest ever snowstorm in PVD for the month of March was 14.7" on 03/19/56. That month was like the March version of Feb 2015 with a snowstorm every week. 31.6" in March 1956 and 31.8" in Feb 2015.

March of 1956 is one of the great snow periods of my life and the 3/19 storm was pretty amazing.  But ponder this:  BOS got 65 inches in February 2015.   How crazy is that!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sorry for the OT guys, but worthwhile read during this down time for anyone struggling with addiction, or who knows someone who is.

https://45pedrospupils.blogspot.com/2024/02/a-decade-of-reflections-on-my-recovery.html

Thank you for posting this! As someone who has a family member that has been sober for a decade or so, I am eternally grateful that every day is another day that we have them with us. It's a tremendous gift to be able to share something so intense and personal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I’m heading to Florida on March 15 haha. We escape. 

I'm heading Friday, although I should have been there since 1/12, but work things... I've always had the suspicion it'd snow while I was traveling the last few years, only happened once, so there's at least that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thankfully, my journey through recovery has been more successful than my past couple of outlooks :lol:

Self-mocking humor is a great trait to have.  The awareness that this whole ride of life is bigger than us.  Bravo dude.

• Like 9

Alberta is declaring an early start to the 2024 wildfire season.

The legislated wildfire season runs March 1 to Oct. 31, but Todd Loewen, minister of forestry and parks, announced Tuesday the fire season is now underway as a result of warmer-than-normal temperatures and below-average precipitation.

There are currently 54 wildfires burning in Alberta, 52 of those fires started in 2023.

*drags RAP Smoke link back into bookmarks bar and cracks knuckles*

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thank you for sharing.  Alcohol addiction runs in my family.  I've seen it rip families apart. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Self-mocking humor is a great trait to have.  The awareness that this whole ride of life is bigger than us.  Bravo dude.

You need humility....I have learned that, though I can still certainly be overbearing at times...I know. Work in progress, like everything else.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ...again, I read that it's going to replace by mid summer.   But it was also tied into a platform change too -

I'm not sure how accessibility to J.Q. public and/or subscription ... all that will be effected by a different product arrangement.   I think there's an AI embedded too, by the way.

changes comin'

Wow.....that will be cool.