• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

Tentatively thinking there's something around the 20th still...but it may be more overrunning or 'swfe' ...etc. in nature. 

Not sure about the 24th?     I'm starting to see what Scott was fearing yesterday materializing in the telecon projections (numerical) ... in short, once post the 20th the EPO and PNA are neutralized down to almost no skill.   

Thing is...that could get uglier for winter enthusiasts when least excuse imagined, year to year now... CC apparently crashes the late February party ... Without a steady state cold influx at hemispheric scales, "warming" is being proven time and time over recent years to be a predisposition... So, any such relaxation of the pattern ...heh, a warm flash/bounce potential is implied. Sort of disproportionately more so than people may think.  Despite even those who are willing to embrace the truth about the future state of this thing ... even amongst us we act surprised sometimes -

But we'll see.  These extended telecons are also more variable/'mop ended' ...so it's just an early recognition for now. That would be post the 25th which crowds the 24th a bit.   just sayn'

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Tentatively thinking there's something around the 20th still...but it may be more overrunning or 'swfe' ...etc. in nature. 

Not sure about the 24th?     I'm starting to see what Scott was fearing yesterday materializing in the telecon projections (numerical) ... in short, once post the 20th the EPO and PNA are neutralized down to almost no skill.   

Thing is...that could get uglier for winter enthusiasts when least excuse imagined, year to year now... CC apparently crashes the late February party ... Without a steady state cold influx at hemispheric scales, "warming" is being proven time and time over recent years to be a predisposition... So, any such relaxation of the pattern ...heh, a warm flash/bounce potential is implied. Sort of disproportionately more so than people may think.  Despite even those who are willing to embrace the truth about the future state of this thing ... even amongst us we act surprised sometimes -

But we'll see.  These extended telecons are also more variable/'mop ended' ...so it's just an early recognition for now. That would be post the 25th which crowds the 24th a bit.   just sayn'

I haven't waivered on my long run stance....the MJO is going to flat line and ultimately emerge from the COD into the MC IMHO....so we have to make hay Tuesday through last week of Feb. That is our window. I do not buy this 6 week orgie that some have been floating around.

DT is just recently coming around to this....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

President's Day

To be more specific, there are two famous Presidents’ Day storms…that’s why people see “PDI and PDII”….the first one was 1979 and crushed DC to NYC but whiffed New England. The second one was 2003 and gave 20”+ from DC to Boston and most SNE. Even CNE got decent snows but not quite as much. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I haven't waivered on my long run stance....the MJO is going to flat line and ultimately emerge from the COD into the MC IMHO....so we have to make hay Tuesday through last week of Feb. That uis our window. I do not buy this 6 week orgie that some have been floating around.

It’s a another week of Winter before its over and I’m not convinced at all that everyone will score.  Same areas that did well in Jan look to repeat 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I haven't waivered on my long run stance....the MJO is going to flat line and ultimately emerge from the COD into the MC IMHO....so we have to make hay Tuesday through last week of Feb. That uis our window. I do not buy this 6 week orgie that some have been floating around.

yeah... where as I don't hold onto previous ideas - I'm very mutable in short order if the typical trustier indicators go into a d(x) ... I can change my opinion pretty fast.  Especially post the solar min, when that's happening during a climate era where warm "impulse" behavior is very real in the atmosphere. ... anyway... you get it -...

Hey Will, ...check out the "little critter" on the 12z ICON.   Reminds me a little of Feb 2002 only not as cold maybe...

There's actually two - the one way out there has very little predictive value ( of course ..>) but that looks like it's en route to being a NJ modeler

5 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

It’s a another week of Winter before its over and I’m not convinced at all that everyone will score.  Same areas that did well in Jan look to repeat 

I think its more than a week....I think John's date of the 24th is the earliest when can entertain the beginning of the end.

Meanwhile in the Adirondacks...

This guy is an avid snowmobiler and lives on the eastern edge of Tug Hill in the Adirondacks.  He lives and breaths riding, and normally puts out in-depth trail reports.

Friday, February 9th
I haven't been posting much and I really don't think I have to spell out why. The truth is I haven't been riding enough to give you a fair and first-hand trail report, not because I don't want to, but because it just hasn't looked like much fun.
I've seen some bad winters and this one has been by far the worst. Doesn't matter what forecast you look at, 7-day, 10-day, 14-day, WeatherUnderground, TWC, FoxWeather, iPhone weather app - there is no snow in the forecast that will turn this around for the masses before the President's Week.
Yesterday it was 48 degrees and sunny, today the low is 38F and the high 46F, tomorrow there's rain in the forecast with a high of 44F, we don't see freezing temps until Sunday and then it looks like it will stay cold through the next weekend, but no snow. There's hardly any frost in the ground and after this weekend I honestly believe any exposed ground will be thawed to the point even a dump of 6 inches wouldn't help.
I wish I could paint a better picture. This season is pretty much done - there I said it. (I pray I'm wrong)

Mailing it in on Feb 9th.

• Haha 3

Has anyone seen the sun yet today?  I thought we were heading for high 40's at some point.

The sun shone for a few minutes this morning before the front came through, clouded everything up and here we sit - overcast and 36.

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hope it bites me.

Ha!  word

but you know... I was thinkin'      might be the first time we've successfully witnessed "snow on snow" take place since several seasons?    I mean if that continues to evolve.  It seems we always interlude a melt back or some sort of pack correction warming between events since really 2015... I might not be right about that but it feels that way, anywho

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Layman said:

Has anyone seen the sun yet today?  I thought we were heading for high 40's at some point.

The sun shone for a few minutes this morning before the front came through, clouded everything up and here we sit - overcast and 36.

Clearing pretty quick now from west to east. Plenty of sun here on the otherside of Rockingham Co now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

To be more specific, there are two famous Presidents’ Day storms…that’s why people see “PDI and PDII”….the first one was 1979 and crushed DC to NYC but whiffed New England. The second one was 2003 and gave 20”+ from DC to Boston and most SNE. Even CNE got decent snows but not quite as much. 

We watched both from afar.  In Fort Kent we'd just come out of 8 straight days with subzero highs.  In our present locale, 2/16/03 hit -29, our coldest February temp here.  3rd time's the charm?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Layman said:

Sunny all day down here, hit 48 for a high, my car felt like a greenhouse, didn't need the heat on at all, must have hit Tippys sun angle day.