• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I haven't felt this taxed and defeated in a long time. Just an all around shit feeling. Enjoy the snow...those that got it. I probably would take the day off and just walk around in the snow, should that day ever come this year. 

It feels like it will never snow again - which is silly, but 2 years of this, and this year possibly being worse than the last...  yeah, feels permanent.  

48 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I think there will be a few more shots, just not sure how well your area especially will make of it. Obviously it's peak snow climo for the next few weeks, but without any meaningful arctic cold lurking in Canada it's difficult to get much snow with any given system. (outside of interior elevations obviously)

2m and 850 <3

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_54.png

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_54.png

And 3 days later, 850's are normal and surface temps down considerably following 850's back towards normal....all consistent with extended ensembles fwiw.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_65 (1).png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_65 (1).png

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I haven't felt this taxed and defeated in a long time. Just an all around shit feeling. Enjoy the snow...those that got it. I probably would take the day off and just walk around in the snow, should that day ever come this year. 

12 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

It feels like it will never snow again - which is silly, but 2 years of this, and this year possibly being worse than the last...  yeah, feels permanent.  

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing has gone right. Nothing.

At least I’m not alone with this feeling. I know exactly how you both feel. 

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

It’s not my fault it isn’t snowing in your backyard 

Ha!! We actually got just under 2" from yesterday's storm ( was actually a bit of a surprise as it wasn't expecting anything ). Trust me I'm not heartbroken either way. As much as I love the weather everyone else on this forum, it doesn't dictate my life. However, I don't need to use sarcasm and weenie symbols just to make myself feel better. But you do you! 

• Weenie 1

Boston average daily max in December:

Boston average daily max in January: 36 degrees, actual 38.7 degrees. Departure: +2.7 degrees.

Boston average daily max in December: 41 degrees, actual 46.4 degrees. Departure: +5.4 degrees.

Yes, the pattern improved from Dec to Jan, but it improved from extremely shitty to just shitty. The first 2 months of winter are going to go down as 4 degrees above normal for average daily highs. To get this winter to be a C winter (average), we will need Feb and Mar to average 4 degrees below normal with 35 or so inches of snow. That’s…. a very tall task. I will acknowledge that it hasn’t been quite this horrible in the snow department for interior areas, but the temps have still been a big problem.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know. We had a fair January here but nothing special and now we are in the heart of winter with barely any snow on the ground.
 Greenfield winter carnival is this weekend so I’m sure they will have to cancel most of the events.  I will say this, every year it’s the first weekend in February and more than half of them have not worked out, so maybe time to move it further into the month.

:axe:

• Like 2

The biggest issue with the prospects of this becoming an acceptable winter isn’t the snow, it’s the temps. I do not think it’s completely unrealistic that we get lucky and get a big storm in Feb or Mar to bring the snowfall totals near the coast to slightly below average or average, but let’s say exactly that happens and we get average temps the rest of the winter in Boston. Even if Boston gets the average temp snowy 2nd half it’s looking for (let’s say 35 inches of snow in Feb-Mar with normal temps), that would bring Boston to climo for snowfall, but the average max temp would be +2. That is still quite a bad winter. And 35 inches of snow during Feb-Mar is a LOT of snow. It’s not impossible, but it’s also not the most likely outcome. The most likely outcome is around 20-25 inches. 

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

The biggest issue with the prospects of this becoming an acceptable winter isn’t the snow, it’s the temps. I do not think it’s unrealistic that we get lucky and get a big storm in Feb or Mar to bring the snowfall totals near the coast to slightly below average or average, but let’s say exactly that happens and we get average temps the rest of the winter in Boston. Even if Boston gets the average temp snowy 2nd half it’s looking for (let’s say 35 inches of snow in Feb-Mar with normal temps), that would bring Boston to climo for snowfall, but the average max temp would be +2. That is still quite a bad winter. 

Meh...Who cares if it's +2° if you're getting normal to above normal snowfall. I guarantee you're on a very small island with that take.

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Meh...Who cares if it's +2° if you're getting normal to above normal snowfall. I guarantee you're on a very small island with that take.

What good is average snowfall if it all just melts away? My 6 inches I got from the early Jan storm just melted away a few days later. I care about things like snowpack and winter feeling like winter (cold temps) just as much as the total seasonal snowfall. I would go as far as saying I prefer a 40 inch snowfall winter with -3 avg max temp than a 50 inch snowfall winter with +2 avg max temp. A lot of people here will disagree which is fine, not everyone likes the same weather. Hell, it’s not uncommon at all for people to get excited about mild and snowless winters like Torch Tiger does. Nobody is right or wrong here, it’s just personal preference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George001 said:

What good is average snowfall if it all just melts away? My 6 inches I got from the early Jan storm just melted away a few days later. I care about things like snowpack and winter feeling like winter (cold temps) just as much as the total seasonal snowfall. I would go as far as saying I prefer a 40 inch snowfall winter with -3 avg max temp than a 50 inch snowfall winter with +2 avg max temp.

It can still feel like winter if it's +2°..it depends on how it's distributed throughout the winter. Like if you get 20 days of AOB normal temps with good snow events thrown in..but the last 10 days of a month torch to get you to +2°..who cares

Or if nighttime lows are the reason you're +°2..but days run near normal. I just think you're dying on a weird hill. 

6 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

It can still feel like winter if it's +2°..it depends on how it's distributed throughout the winter. Like if you get 20 days of AOB normal temps with good snow events thrown in..but the last 10 days of a month torch to get you to +2°..who cares

Or if nighttime lows are the reason you're +°2..but days run near normal. I just think you're dying on a weird hill. 

I’m referring strictly to average daytime temps, I completely agree about not caring about whether the nighttime temps are say 25 instead of 23. That’s a fair point you bring up about the distribution though. 20 days of snowpack before it melts is nothing to sneeze at, especially where I live. The months matter too, it’s easier to stomach a Dec torch than it is a Jan or Feb torch. 

It’s better here so far than last year…but I know some spots it’s worse so far. But this will almost definitely finish better here than last year. So it may Rat, but it will be less so than last year for my location. I need about an inch or so to beat last year, I think I’ll do that with all of February to go yet and half of March. 

• Like 1

I think the idea of not much hope the remainder of winter is valid. Now northern New England and higher elevations, that is a different story. They can still crank out snow events well into March and April, but for everyone else...we have to ask ourselves, what is going to be the driver to not only increase potential but to realize potential? 

As we move forward, we are going to have to test our luck with another round of blocking. Now, we're likely to get another period of blocking, but does that happen too late in the season to help the region as a whole or can we get it earlier to give the region a better shot? 

This is just one snippet since there is no way to post a loop (I don't think) without creating a gif but the prospects of getting much help/assistance from the Arctic at least through the next few weeks is very slim. The PV is fairly in tact and also becomes displaced on the other side of the hemisphere and this, combined with the PAC will just usher mild PAC air into North America. 

By the time we can probably make adjustments it may be too late for most of the region.

image.thumb.png.9ca04328ec266ec1d634bb9e418ac506.png

• Like 4