Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lookin good to me. Solid 1-3 locked in with a minor chance at a surprise. Instability driven snows after the low skips the coast could pick a random winner 

If these trends continue, 1-3" might start to look a little conservative for anyone DC north. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WVsnowlover said:

If these trends continue, 1-3" might start to look a little conservative for anyone DC north. 

You're prob in a better spot than me. Northern stream stuff has a way of underperforming around the beltways. Likely orographic effect and being in a shadow. Sometimes eastern zones do better than the cities because of this.

Part of this event is WAA driven so that's good. Upper level part usually favors western zones. My expectations of events like this are hedging low on modeled qpf and there isn't much to begin with. I'd consider 2-3" a win and anything more a boom. We'll see

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

You're prob in a better spot than me. Northern stream stuff has a way of underperforming around the beltways. Likely orographic effect and being in a shadow. Sometimes eastern zones do better than the cities because of this.

Part of this event is WAA driven so that's good. Upper level part usually favors western zones. My expectations of events like this are hedging low on modeled qpf and there isn't much to begin with. I'd consider 2-3" a win and anything more a boom. We'll see

2-3" would absolutely be a win considering where we were just 18 hours ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WVsnowlover said:

We should start a petition to have them change that to "best case"

I know.  My first thought was that (that) was a lower bound.  They need to change the title to something less judgmental.  

I also find it amusing how excited we get when the model spits out an additional 0.05" of precipitation for our snow-deprived backyards.  

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My climo is somewhere around 22". If tomorrow produces, my yard would be somewhere around 9". Sure wouldn't take much to hit mid 20s. Some good fortune and 30+ isn't crazy. No idea what Feb/Mar bring but being snowless seems the least likely outcome imho

The greed!

Western low I was discussing yesterday has become a remnant wave (1014 mbs) located in s/c NE and is still producing a swath of 3-5 in snowfalls in n NE, se SD; these will translate into IA-n mo, then IL-IN-KY quite rapidly, as wave is embedded in 120 kt mid-level jet stream. Feature is in transition to become a slider low that will be merging with weak energy tracking e.n.e. across TN towards sw VA. models have adjusted to reality of best moisture availability as I suspected could be the case given trajectory of western feeder moisture ID into WY last night. 

Think the 2-4 inch forecasts are solid now, and 4-6 is upper end of what this situation can accomplish, except where orographic uplift yields 6-8.  

No similarity whatsoever to Feb 1979 storm which exploded off the coast and was interacting with a 1050 mb frigid high near BTV and e ON, sQC. This present situation will create a powerful Atlantic low but that will be racing away Friday night towards central Atlantic Ocean and eventually Ireland by Sunday. The 1979 event on Feb 19 was trapped under the much larger arctic high and deepened rapidly off Long Island. So no real relation at all. 

Will speculate on totals near 3" for BWI, DCA and IAD trending to near 4.5 to 6.0" on md-pa border. Watch progress of plains states wave into IA-IL to see if it is overperforming; I expect similar totals for a narrow band through those states by 03z. If we happen to see 5-8 in amounts it could be a sign of similar outcome in PA-md-DE-sNJ but I am not expecting to see 5-8 from the level of degradation of wave observed to 18z -- worst case scenario of total disappearance was averted, but system went from an 8 or 8.5 to a 3 on energy level scale. It appears capable of regaining some intensity to around 4/10 by 12z. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If we get 2-3", we'll be at around 7-8" including the December event, which is par for the course by this time of year. We'll need Feb & Mar to deliver the goods for us to beat climo. I still think there's good chance of that happening. But for now, let's focus on tomorrow and enjoy it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

image.jpeg.ba4799ba0bce53de5f0029b3848b1e71.jpeg

FTFY

<BANTER>

I brought that up when they first rolled it out that it was confusing ... 
It really should be something like 'Reasonable maximum snow accumulation scenario' or something similar

</BANTER>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Out here in Augusta County my 4 model blend has increased from .5" last night to 1.3" with the 12z runs.  1.7" Kuchera. 

A definite shift south on the GFS, ECM, GEM, NAM and ICON.

• Like 3

Just now, stormy said:

Out here in Augusta County my 4 model blend has increased from .5" last night to 1.3" with the 12z runs.  1.7" Kuchera. 

A definite shift south on the GFS, ECM, GEM, NAM and ICON.

You listed 5 models. So is the blend 4 or 5 models?

1 minute ago, Warm Nose said:

<BANTER>

I brought that up when they first rolled it out that it was confusing ... 
It really should be something like 'Reasonable maximum snow accumulation scenario' or something similar

</BANTER>

Yeah, I don't think we and the NWS are speaking the same language...

GFS seems a bit on an island with how dry it is overall.

Pretty in line with its bias I’d say.. It also isn’t the best model on picking up banding / dynamics. Tends to paints things more uniform, which is fine. That’s why we have other models

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic