Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Like I’ve said a a lot recently, the NAM brothers are really good models that can be trusted without question.

The ones showing the highest QPF clearly have the best primitive equations and the most data points.

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

IMG_7758.jpeg.f3332c5fe4da6a58e61ab24be6c1368d.jpeg

Thought this would be a good time to make a rudimentary snow map for ole times sake. Apologies for the crude map design. Doing this on my phone, but still works good enough. Each area is a zone with a first call forecast. Might have a few edits later, but this could very well be my only call. 

Forecast

Zone A: Nothing-1” (Trace begins north of Potomac latitude); Up to 2” possible if everything breaks right

Zone B: 1-2” w/ max to 3” if everything breaks right

Zone C: 2-4” (Highest across Parrs Ridge; elevations >600’) 

Zone D: 2.5-5” w/ local max of 6” (Highest along the M/D Line and elevations >850’. Lowest in elevations <275’ in valleys)

Zone E: 5-10” 

Catoctins: 4-6” w/ max to 7”

Living on the edge of your Zone C and Zone D. I'd happily take another 3" as would my kids!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wxmvpete said:

Living on the edge of your Zone C and Zone D. I'd happily take another 3" as would my kids!

I like 3-5” for your hood at your elevation. I think people like you, @HighStakes @psuhoffman up there towards the M/D should do pretty well with this one! Be sure to add a max right over your house if you’re doing the Winter Desk :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I like 3-5” for your hood at your elevation. I think people like you, @HighStakes @psuhoffman up there towards the M/D should do pretty well with this one! Be sure to add a max right over your house if you’re doing the Winter Desk :lol:

I'm starting to really like tomorrow. Models are converging on the highest totals in northern MD. Hopefully there's not a last minute shift. To expand on your post about ratios, I agree. I expect mostly 15:1 up here. We always do well with ratios even in more marginal storms. The Euro which always is warmer than GFS has Westminster at 27 at 18z with 850's at -8. I think 20:1 is not out of the questions especially if we still have some banding the last several hours of the storm. Trying not to be to weenieish!! Lol. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Josh is on the grids today and I'm the afternoon winter shift, so I'll shoot him a message ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Like I’ve said a a lot recently, the NAM brothers are really good models that can be trusted without question.

They should just eliminate hours 42-84 and make it a short range model. It’s certainly better than the FV3 at this point. Did pretty well with the last storm once we were within 36 hours or so. Pretty shitty outside 36 hours but that’s fine. Use it for its strengths.

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

I'm staring to really like tomorrow. Models are converging on the highest totals in northern MD. Hopefully there's not a last minute shift. To expand on your post about ratios, I agree. I expect mostly 15:1 up here. We always do well with ratios even in more marginal storms. The Euro which always is warmer than GFS has Westminster at 27 at 18z with 850's at -8. I think 20:1 is not out of the questions especially if we still have some banding the last several hours of the storm. Trying not to be to weenieish!! Lol. 

Definitely agree. It’s just the historical trend that has occurred for you guys up that way. A little orographic assistance helps locally with ascent and ratios. Should be a winter wonderland in your area by tomorrow afternoon. Loving the trends this morning. This vort is pretty decent, so as long as it isn’t too far north, there’s some solid 7H VV’s and strong LER dynamics to work with. Probably see some scattered banding structures out of this one. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

IMG_7758.jpeg.f3332c5fe4da6a58e61ab24be6c1368d.jpeg

Thought this would be a good time to make a rudimentary snow map for ole times sake. Apologies for the crude map design. Doing this on my phone, but still works good enough. Each area is a zone with a first call forecast. Might have a few edits later, but this could very well be my only call. 

Forecast

Zone A: Nothing-1” (Trace begins north of Potomac latitude); Up to 2” possible if everything breaks right

Zone B: 1-2” w/ max to 3” if everything breaks right

Zone C: 2-4” (Highest across Parrs Ridge; elevations >600’) 

Zone D: 2.5-5” w/ local max of 6” (Highest along the M/D Line and elevations >850’. Lowest in elevations <275’ in valleys)

Zone E: 5-10” 

Catoctins: 4-6” w/ max to 7”

Looks pretty reasonable. I'm just south of that C line in B territory, so 2" is a good target for mby. Hopefully it breaks right as you say and I make a run for 3". 

Just need that vort to stay a bit south and NoVA to work its radar backbuilding magic like it sometimes does in these budding coastal setups.

• Like 3

Looks like the heaviest snow producer could be the overnight 5 AM band as the LP shifts towards the coast. The path towards success is a stronger more organized LP off the NC coast. This would make temps slightly more marginal but I think it would be a worth it trade off for I-95  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alfoman said:

Looks like the heaviest snow producer could be the overnight 5 AM band as the LP shifts towards the coast. The path towards success is a stronger more organized LP off the NC coast. This would make temps slightly more marginal but I think it would be a worth it trade off for I-95  

See the difference of the vort trending south and the LP north on the NAM

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_fh22_trend.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alfoman said:

See the difference of the vort trending south and the LP north on the NAM

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_fh22_trend.gif

Stronger coastal / early transfer really makes a big difference here. Amazing what a couple mb or a 50 mile shift south on the upper levels can do

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic