joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

:huh:  At BWI, just in the past decade:

March 20-21, 2018 - 4.9”

March 5, 2015 - 6.2”

March 16-17, 2014 - 8.1”

Yeah, March has been good to us several times since 2010. That St. Patty's day snow to cap off 2014 was an awesome event. @psuhoffmancan you help me find the obs thread for that one? And didn't it actually snow again after SPD or am I thinking of 2015? 

Same. Maybe not a MECS but something might sneak up on us like this week has

This was was not sneaky. Those threats were seen a while out. In fact….we didn’t really maximize the potoential of this window
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

This was was not sneaky. Those threats were seen a while out. In fact….we didn’t really maximize the potoential of this window

Relative to our area and climo, we did B+ at worst. But I'd definitely agree it wasn't maximized. The longwave setup heading into late this past week and this weekend could have absolutely produced a KU storm, but they're rare for a reason. 

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

:huh:  At BWI, just in the past decade:

March 20-21, 2018 - 4.9”

March 5, 2015 - 6.2”

March 16-17, 2014 - 8.1”

It's still rather rare. And who knows if that still works now. 2014 & 2015 were the last time...

P.S. Where did you get the data for specific storms those years? (I have a list of the big ones and overall seasonal totals...but not the smaller ones)

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Yeah, March has been good to us several times since 2010. That St. Patty's day snow to cap off 2014 was an awesome event. @psuhoffmancan you help me find the obs thread for that one? And didn't it actually snow again after SPD or am I thinking of 2015? 

There was another event very late march 2014 where a deform at the end of a rainstorm flipped to snow. Dropped 8” here!  

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

How far out? 8-9 days if I remember correctly? 

Further back, guidance was showing a torch mid month

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

It's still rather rare. And who knows if that still works now. 2014 & 2015 were the last time...

P.S. Where did you get the data for specific storms those years? (I have a list of the big ones and overall seasonal totals...but not the smaller ones)

http://climod2.nrcc.cornell.edu

you can waste a lot of time in there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

I think the guidance actually targeted this week from way way out. There was a torch in front of it which was never as bad as they indicated but we did get the 2 cutters. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

The events were from memory.  Just checked the totals here. 

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=lwx

NOW data for any month you want to check.

34 minutes ago, Ji said:

The south be….where is my 72-73

A little more -PNA this time yeah.. this El Nino is not really acting strong in the upper latitudes. We've been missing the N. Pacific low. 
We do though have the most equilateral convection all time 

https://ibb.co/9tN0Vyv

Most opposite year on satellite record is 95-96

https://ibb.co/zN1pNYJ

I rolled forward both states, and found a heavy +warm bias for enhanced convection, the globe was up to 40-50dm higher at 500mb for the next year (vs -40 to -50dm in neg composite).. means we can expect a mild year coming. Analog years were split in time so there's little global warming skew. 

I don’t remember a mid month torch. The pattern had just changed and the nao was very negative and people were talking about a heather A event

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

I don’t remember a mid month torch. The pattern had just changed and the nao was very negative and people were talking about a heather A event

People...lol...you mean Ralph

47 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

4-5 weeks? Perhaps for n & w folks...more like 2-3 for the beltway where people actually live :lol: Once March comes it's pretty much done here, unfortunately (can get a little slop but I can remember few warning snows in March)

March 2014. Dale City got 8 inches on the 17th.

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t you live over 1000 feet?  He lives in Baltimore. 

I'm  at 1300 ft. though there are 1550' elevations no more than a mile away. I'm looking at 3000 ft. elevations in the Blue Ridge about 4 miles to my east.

42 minutes ago, Ji said:

we didn’t really maximize the potoential of this window

I disagree. 6 Snow events in two weeks with over a foot of accums ranks right up there with the best January's. We just never got a vigorous vort or a phase that completely bombed for us at our latitude. But imo its been a really good January so far. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The longwave pattern has been better in early March lately for some reason. Warmer ocean?

Maybe? It's the only thing I keep returning to if climate has shifted. Dec is awful close to a fall month here anyways and that goes back to my birth lol. 

Long term cycles are weird though. Just when you think something is figured out... oops. Kinda like Judah and his Siberia snowcover scam lol. Warmer oceans obviously screw with the front side of winter. That's simple to understand. How that could change March gets muddy. It does seem winters have moved forward a couple weeks on the calender compared to 15 years ago. Idk. I just want it to snow dammit

• Like 7

The extended guidance starts the transition around Feb 7. We have a transitional week to get to good from there. But we should start to see that process at the end of the ensembles within the next 72 hours. I’d not I’ll start to get a little nervous about a can kick which we can’t afford given the clock. 

• Like 7