• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

7 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Did it all eventually work out?  Otherwise sorry to hear, just bad timing.

Nope. 9/11 happened 3 days after I got my big winter order and then people here stopped shopping for a while and then it didn't snow. That hurt pretty badly and I never got past it. Finally bailed out spring 05. Of course then it really started snowing for the next 10 years :axe:

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Coming down now at kings park bluff. Drove up here for the band lol 

You are 2 miles from here.  This band might be the last hurrah.  The Psych center photos looked a little skimpy, there's more here. 

Temp is 26.9° and the wind is occasionally gusting and blowing snow off the roofs and out of the trees.  Passes for a nice mid-winter day in my book.  Won't affect the overall season much, but today feels like January.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 1:30 pm, we're up to 2.3", so only 0.3" the last hour, but we're now within 1" of my early prediction, which I wouldn't have thought would happen just 4 hours ago.  Snowing more lightly now and the radar isn't as impressive, so we might only get another 1/2" or so if these bands don't start building back in.  Still 29F. 

As of 2:00 pm, we're up to 2.5", so 0.4"/hr rate the last 30 min. Snowing moderately, but it looks like this might be our last decent band over the next 30-45 minutes. 3" is possible, but unlikely. Still 29F - temp has barely budged.

With the lighter intensity the last hour or so, the busy county road in front of our house which was treated yesterday has lost most of its snow cover, but the untreated side streets are still all snow covered.

• Like 3

Been snowing lightly in Astoria since this AM. Not much is getting on the sidewalks and roads due to the rate of snowfall, plus all the salt that has been spread around. Grassy areas, and areas that had snow piled from the storm earlier this week are seeing accumulation, but not very much. The sun is even weakly showing thru the clouds at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Great little event. The 2.0 mostly fell in a 2 hour period which makes it impressive. Good snow growth and ratios helped a ton. Btw. Keep the weather updates coming on We love Metuchen the people like your accuracy 

Thanks!!  That page can get a little cantankerous, but that's FB for ya.  We got very lucky with the bands as it looks like just 5-10 miles N of us didn't get much, but they kept coming here.  Really pure beautiful snowfall.  I truly never thought we'd get to 2.5" (or more) just 5 hours ago.  Just wish the snow shield went further north so everyone could've enjoyed it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

all the main roads even through neighborhoods have been salted heavily and now that the precip is slowing down they will begin doing that to the side roads before dark in Northern most Middlesex County there was no reason for a state of emergency .

Completely agree on no need for an SOE for much of CNJ and all of NNJ - they ought to be able to announce those things for specific counties, like the NWS does.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Couple of pics of the pond across the street and the throng of sledders...looks like fun - trying to convince my 29-year old son to go sledding tomorrow...(at a bigger hill, lol)

W1g283k.png

RoOIPTP.png

Good to see Tommy’s pond so crowded on a snow day. 

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Couple of pics of the pond across the street and the throng of sledders...looks like fun - trying to convince my 29-year old son to go sledding tomorrow...(at a bigger hill, lol)

I remember as a kid going sledding at the west 9 golf course in Plainfield. @Stormlover74 do kids still sled there?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Thanks!!  That page can get a little cantankerous, but that's FB for ya.  We got very lucky with the bands as it looks like just 5-10 miles N of us didn't get much, but they kept coming here.  Really pure beautiful snowfall.  I truly never thought we'd get to 2.5" (or more) just 5 hours ago.  Just wish the snow shield went further north so everyone could've enjoyed it.  

Only one heavy band here but it snowed steadily. Looks to be about 2-2.5. Enough that the dogs were unhappy with it covering their toes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 2:00 pm, we're up to 2.5", so 0.4"/hr rate the last 30 min. Snowing moderately, but it looks like this might be our last decent band over the next 30-45 minutes. 3" is possible, but unlikely. Still 29F - temp has barely budged.

With the lighter intensity the last hour or so, the busy county road in front of our house which was treated yesterday has lost most of its snow cover, but the untreated side streets are still all snow covered.

As of 2:30 pm we hit 2.7", but the snow has gone to light intensity since about 2:25 pm, so not sure if we can squeeze out another 0.3" to get to 3".  Still 29F.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Good to see Tommy’s pond so crowded on a snow day. 

Despite living nearby for 61 years, I have never been to that pond. Was reading the book Kings of Their Own Ocean, about the captain, Al Anderson, who tagged 62,000 bluefin tuna and changed the science by doing so. He was an author and trained fisheries guy, but he learned to fish as a kid at....Roosevelt Pond. Like Capt Dave Cararro ( of Middletown ) of Wicked Tuna fame, he made his reputation in New England. But you can't take Jersey out of the Jersey guy....I knew both of them briefly.

• Like 2

Got about an inch at MMU. Nice and pretty.

With the cold weekend coming up, it feels like a throwback to have had two light, nondescript snow events in a week that weren’t massive snow to rain events or two foot coastal storms, within a cold period. Just feels nice, boring, and wintry.