• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

finally have a snow day feel here in Westchester. Streets are all wet, but it’s sticking where it has to stick very nicely on top of the original snowpack.

When all is done in January, we will have had snow on the ground for about 10 days of the 30 day month.

I’ll take that as a win for a +5 month. And we live to fight for February.

my gut tells me unless a big one comes We are going to be solidly below average for snowfall this year. but if we can get another week like this in February that scratches your itch and you reload hopefully for next winter.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Hopefully we get another period in Feb otherwise it's a 01-02, 11-12 style winter with a 7-10 day stretch in Jan and then torch rest of way

We're only about a month away from the sun angle becoming an issue. Really is remarkable how short the big snow season is around here. Most of December is pretty much lost and then you get that period between Christmas and say Presidents Day that I refer to as the meat of the snow season and then it's over, especially for the coast. Doesn't mean we can't have a snowy March. If I recall March 2017 was very snowy but I'm fairly certain that was a La Nina.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

We're only about a month away from the sun angle becoming an issue. Really is remarkable how short the big snow season is around here. Most of December is pretty much lost and then you get that period between Christmas and say Presidents Day that I refer to as the meat of the snow season and then it's over, especially for the coast. Doesn't mean we can't have a snowy March. If I recall March 2017 was very snowy but I'm fairly certain that was a La Nina.

yeah, next week and the extreme warmth is a real kick in the balls in the heart of winter

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 12:30 pm we hit the 2.0" mark!  Woohoo!  That was 0.4"/hr the last 30 minutes.  Coming down moderately, still with beautiful dendrites.  I've never tried to measure snow ratios before, but I might give it a try, as I think we're probably in the 15:1 or more neighborhood.  Gorgeous.  And the radar still looks pretty good for the next 30 min.  Still 29F.  

As of 1:30 pm, we're up to 2.3", so only 0.3" the last hour, but we're now within 1" of my early prediction, which I wouldn't have thought would happen just 4 hours ago.  Snowing more lightly now and the radar isn't as impressive, so we might only get another 1/2" or so if these bands don't start building back in.  Still 29F. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 12:48 PM, Dark Star said:

s very difficult to pinpoint.  It seems that for every storm, most are hung up on models as the final word.  I used to enjoy when Jeff Berradelli used to give his post analysis

Has been snowing light to moderate here since 11AM. Not much accumulation on roads at all, but looks great outside and nice fresh powder on the old snow from Tuesday. 

32 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Our latest preliminary totals as of 1 pm...
Central Park: 0.1"  
JFK: 0.1"  
LGA: 0.6"
EWR: 0.2" 
ISP: T"
BDR: 0.3" 
NWS office (Upton, NY): 0.7"

Other unofficial reports: 
Commack, NY: 1.2"
Monroe, NY: 1.0"
Danbury, CT: 1.2"

NYC at 1.8 YTD which might beat last years least snowiest winter

2" before the end of January is uncommon but not super rare. That happened 3x in the 1990s as well.

It's interesting we even had a run of 3 years out of 4 with less than a foot of snow for the season. (94-95, 96-97, 97-98)

• Like 1

Jan 1967 followed similar pattern, quite mild start, some cold and snow mid-month, record warm around Jan 23-26, then followed by about seven weeks of cold and occasional snow lasting well into march. Not saying it will be record mild at any point but years that did set records in period Jan 21 to 31 include 1906, 1909, 1914, 1916, and 1967 all of which had significant cold and snow later. It was quite mild in late Jan 1993 to about Feb 3rd as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

yeah, next week and the extreme warmth is a real kick in the balls in the heart of winter

If you believe the GEFS, the above normal temps rebuild for the beginning of February. If you consider that normal for NYC around then is about 40 degrees we could be easily in the 60's if it verifies.

2 minutes ago, batmansascientist said:

2" before the end of January is uncommon but not super rare. That happened 3x in the 1990s as well.

It's interesting we even had a run of 3 years out of 4 with less than a foot of snow for the season. (94-95, 96-97, 97-98)

96-97 through 01-02 had 5 out of 6 bad years with 2 years below 6" here.  The whole 90s pretty much sucked outside 93-94 and 95-96.  92-93 was just about average.

6 minutes ago, FPizz said:

96-97 through 01-02 had 5 out of 6 bad years with 2 years below 6" here.  The whole 90s pretty much sucked outside 93-94 and 95-96.  92-93 was just about average.

Of course I opened a ski shop late '97 and struggled with it through 04. I was right down the street from Thunder Ridge and it only snowed a few times the first few years which made it a little difficult. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, gravitylover said:

Of course I opened a ski shop late '97 and struggled with it through 04. I was right down the street from Thunder Ridge and it only snowed a few times the first few years which made it a little difficult. 

Did it all eventually work out?  Otherwise sorry to hear, just bad timing.