• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13/24 Sultan Slicer #2 - Heavy rain, snow, wind?

Torch Tiger

33 minutes ago, Bryan63 said:

Not sure how much more my basement can handle.

Anyone got any tips on how to waterproof a fieldstone basement?

Short term you may be able to use one of the Flex Seal line of products.

Another option is to use a Quick Dam(s) to absorb water

Quick Dam 10 ft. Flood Barrier QD610-1 - The Home Depot

Home Depot also sells portable sump pumps.

Also use space heaters to keep the basement warm.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Pray.

we had the same problem and have since put gutters on this old house, yeah we didn't have them, and pointed all the gaps between the stones, then applied multiple coats of water proofing paint, we used drylox, but there's a number of them you can use, I know it's tedious but it makes a huge difference, and the dam for short term issues I'd go with

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bryan63 said:

At my brother's house we filled any cracks with a product that I can't remember right now, flex seal will work, then we painted all the stone with Drylok, he ended up putting two coats on and he still gets a little water but nothing like he used to get.

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You can tell the wind threat on this is minimal because Kevin hasn’t posted. 

Looks like another western slopes downslope special in VT, just maybe a little tamer than the other night.  Still prob 40-60mph gusts. Everywhere else more meh maybe outside of other downslope areas in NH.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:53 AM, dryslot said:

Always take the under and you'll be more right then wrong.

That's my philosophy.  Didn't work on 12/18 - last time I experienced 50+ gusts for 4 hours was on 12/31/62.  (Doria and Bob had stronger gusts, but only for an hour or so.)

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's my philosophy.  Didn't work on 12/18 - last time I experienced 50+ gusts for 4 hours was on 12/31/62.  (Doria and Bob had stronger gusts, but only for an hour or so.)

Yeah Tom, Lot of years in between, That just goes to show you how rare severe wind threats are without being aided by convection to mix things out to the surface, The exception is coastal areas that are exposed.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

another 4-6" of slop incoming and then warm sector. Not sure it helps local trails here unless we get some cold nights, hopefully that happens next week. Nice base builder for skiing however.  

funny how the 7 day snow totals map posted last week showed ~30" for our area. you just knew that was a bunch of bs

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

12z Euro a tic or two colder for Saturday, This one is looking very similar to the one we just had on the 10th.

That's what I want, If we got an exact repeat Sunday and Monday will be full 10 hours grooming days opening the system, I'm gonna bet lower though with only 4 or 5 inches and get half the trails open hopefully 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bryan63 said:

Type n mortar followed by closed cell spray foam, $$$ or Plastic water membrane with French drain below.  Lastly, spray Shotcrete.  Good luck 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Not me in VT said:

Type n mortar followed by closed cell spray foam, $$$ or Plastic water membrane with French drain below.  Lastly, spray Shotcrete.  Good luck 

That will do it but cost a few bucks, also make sure all water drains away from the house. Took my brother a while to figure he had that happening in one corner.

11 hours ago, Bryan63 said:

Absolutely do not use flex seal to water proof your basement. I hope that guy was not being serious. There are only two ways to keep/get the water out. A correctly installed French drain that is backfilled correctly is the best. Obviously if you don't already have that then a quality sump is your only route unless you want to fork over a heap of cash to go digging around your whole house. 

Gutters with downspouts draining well away will help, everything else is a bandaid. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sled said:

Absolutely do not use flex seal to water proof your basement. I hope that guy was not being serious. There are only two ways to keep/get the water out. A correctly installed French drain that is backfilled correctly is the best. Obviously if you don't already have that then a quality sump is your only route unless you want to fork over a heap of cash to go digging around your whole house. 

Gutters with downspouts draining well away will help, everything else is a bandaid. Good luck.

My old house's basement flooded from underground, and we had submersible pumps installed.  Never had water again.

• Like 1