• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13/24 Sultan Slicer #2 - Heavy rain, snow, wind?

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t think there’ll be much damage at all . Just making note 

On 1/9/2024 at 4:00 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

This one may have damaging winds over 60 on the backside out of NW vs the one tonight out of SE 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

My old house's basement flooded from underground, and we had submersible pumps installed.  Never had water again.

That only works if the surrounding soil outside the house can conduct groundwater fast enough to the sumps……the drawdown curve has to be right……multiple pumps may have to be installed

8 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

That only works if the surrounding soil outside the house can conduct groundwater fast enough to the sumps……the drawdown curve has to be right……multiple pumps may have to be installed

Yeah I'm no expert, though they explained it lol.  Tried normal sump pumps and they worked fine, but the water table was and probably still is rising and the basement was flooding nearly every remotely sig rain event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah I'm no expert, though they explained it lol.  Tried normal sump pumps and they worked fine, but the water table was and probably still is rising and the basement was flooding nearly every remotely sig rain event.

OT, moved here in Sept. '06 and the following October we had like 20+ inches of rain, it was insane.  Had a partly finished and carpeted basement that flooded early in the month (I had to pull the carpet and demo, 60s plywood paneling on nailing strips, it wasn't a big loss).  I installed a sump pump in one corner, next big rainstorm that month came and the one sump did nothing other than collect and discharge water I swept to it (that's the draw-down curve @ice1972is referring to, also called radius of influence).  I ended up cutting a trench 20 inches deep around the interior perimeter of the basement, lining with filter fabric, installing a perforated 2" PVC pipe, backfilling with crushed stone in the trench, compact, and replaced the concrete that had been cut for the trench.  The pipes were pitched to the sump.  That seemed to solve the problem.  

• Like 4

The wind and hydro threat looks more impressive than the previous stemwinder

-Warmer antecedent airmass… Much higher dews.

-less snow cover; reduce chances of low level inversion. 

-Southeasterly fetch tracing back to Bermuda.

-low level jet pointed perpendicular to larger area of New England coastline. Very high wind threat looks to be in much more densely populated areas. Not a “just in Maine” story. SE MA, Boston in focus.

-Deeper low ~972; vs 977 at our latitude. 

IMG_0560.gif

IMG_0561.png

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wind might get close here. Rain nowhere near the last one. Maine coast is the biggest issue. Down to Hampton too. I'm talking flooding. 

Maybe along the immediate coast and cape we can get some wind. Looks real wedged inland, esp north of the pike. Might even have some backing of sfc winds more ene. Breezy and warm afternoon behind the front though. 

Flooding due to tides or rainfall amounts?  My understanding was this is ripping through overnight, dropping 0.50" to 1.0" of rain around here and clearing out by noon.  Ground is definitely saturated - I've still got a mini lake on the high side of my driveway, but at least for here, if it's not much more than 1" we shouldn't have much of an issue.  But, I'm not on the immediate coast either so it's likely apples and oranges.  

9 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Maybe along the immediate coast and cape we can get some wind. Looks real wedged inland, esp north of the pike. Might even have some backing of sfc winds more ene. Breezy and warm afternoon behind the front though. 

Yep. Sell wind away from coast for sure.

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Similar to Weds.

StormTotalSnowWeb1_ME.jpg

Extremely Similar in location, amounts will in my opinion be 2/3 as much snow due to less QPF .

WPC and HREF are much tamer than Wednesday. 

WPC does not have 8”+ progs above 50% anywhere 

My guess is 6-9” in Conway and maybe 10 @ Wildcat 

Will be interested to see if Bretton woods avoids shadowing 

GYX always has some weenie colors on those maps with a more subdued discussion totals , they had 18-24 swath for Wednesday and the only place I saw verify was someone measured within 1-2 miles of Mt Wash summit but they nailed their forecast totals that they had out in the warning areas