Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, now that the threat thread is separate... is it shit the blinds for ~10 days after Friday? Can take a mental pause.

Apologies to all, but I am using all available juju to have a warm up so that there is no chance of snow on the 23rd. Surgery I've been waiting for and need desperately is scheduled that day, and I will not have you weenies wishing a storm into existence and messing it up. :lol:

We are in a snow pattern  86-87 has come up more than once in analog discussions this season. That is the greatest season in my life for snowing every time it possibly could with most events looking like 1-3” ending up 4-6.!  Kinda just happened and more reinforcing cold comes in and we well may be snowing Saturday at noon and the temp not above 25

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Apologies to all, but I am using all available juju to have a warm up so that there is no chance of snow on the 23rd. Surgery I've been waiting for and need desperately is scheduled that day, and I will not have you weenies wishing a storm into existence and messing it up. :lol:

I hope there are cars in ditches and/or abandoned on the side of the road that day.   I hope your surgeon has to helicopter to your house and perform your surgery on your dining room table.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Hello Everyone-  Big time lurker. . . like big time.  Thanks for keeping me and all my friends in the know.   if you will indulge me, can I ask when the start time for the snow on Friday will be?  Over night Thursday? Or Friday morning. Thanks much

14 minutes ago, AACOUNTYMD said:

Hello Everyone-  Big time lurker. . . like big time.  Thanks for keeping me and all my friends in the know.   if you will indulge me, can I ask when the start time for the snow on Friday will be?  Over night Thursday? Or Friday morning. Thanks much

As of now, most guidance sees this as a snow beginning Friday AM and ending Friday PM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dabuckeyes said:

Use chatgpt

I used the Google version which is vastly inferior, and a pretty crappy prompt. The results were, somewhat lacking. You get what you pay for in this case...

----

The Blizzard Bearer of DC: PSU's Forecast Furore
PSU, or "Predictive Snow Unicorn" as he was affectionately (and sometimes mockingly) known on the American Weather Forum, wasn't your typical meteorologist. Sure, he had the charts, the models, the lingo like "geopotential heights" and "frontogenesis" tripping off his tongue with ease. But PSU had something more – an almost uncanny ability to feel the whisper of blizzards, a sixth sense for snowflakes swirling on the horizon.

He'd post on the forum, not with dry data dumps, but with poetic pronouncements like: "I smell salt in the air, friends, and the wind whispers of fury. Hold onto your hats, the Atlantic's brewing a beast." Or, "Ice crystals clinging to my beard, folks. Winter's flexing its muscles, and the Mid-Atlantic's about to get flexed on." His warnings, tinged with whimsy, were never disregarded. Local news channels clamored for interviews, the National Weather Service lurked in his forum threads, and snow shovel manufacturers secretly offered him sponsorship deals.

But fame wasn't PSU's game. He reveled in the power to warn, to prepare towns for the white-knuckled ride of a blizzard. He'd track storms like chess pieces, his posts rallying points for communities bracing for the onslaught. When his forecasts unfurled with chilling accuracy, he wasn't smug, but relieved. Lives saved, roofs secured, children sledding with glee amidst the aftermath – that was his reward. So, next time a winter wind carries a hint of salt and your town buzzes with whispers of "PSU's called it again," remember: the Blizzard Bearer of DC is just doing his duty, translating the snow's symphony for those willing to listen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, jacindc said:

Wishing you the best. I had to drive my son to surgery during a snow/ice storm in 2019. Definitely added a layer of stress. Right now you look pretty safe for that date!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

is there a slight can kick of when the pattern changes back? @Bob Chillalways say add a week to it--so that would take us to Feb 6 instead of January 30th....EPS still have above normal temps late Jan even though the pattern is clearly changing

• Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, Ji said:

is there a slight can kick of when the pattern changes back? @Bob Chillalways say add a week to it--so that would take us to Feb 6 instead of January 30th....EPS still have above normal temps late Jan even though the pattern is clearly changing

From what I see, temps will keep us shut out for about a week. Then back to favorable temps by Feb 1st. Maybe a day or 2 before. But that's just temps. How quick something breaks right is just wild guessing for now. If we're on a true back half heater, we may not have to wait long. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

We are in a snow pattern  86-87 has come up more than once in analog discussions this season. That is the greatest season in my life for snowing every time it possibly could with most events looking like 1-3” ending up 4-6.!  Kinda just happened and more reinforcing cold comes in and we well may be snowing Saturday at noon and the temp not above 25

A repeat of Jan and Feb 87 would be just HORRIBLE, lol. 33 inches in Jan and another 16.3 in Feb here. 

• Like 1

Might not be exactly what we were expecting, but after maybe a one week milder period, this type of pattern can get us back to normal pretty quick. As is, it looks somewhat like 2015, but there are hints of Scandi ridging retrograding.

1706702400-4izEYLRInHs.png

Latest Euro weeklies depict a longwave pattern progression from that^ to this for mid Feb. Can kick? Maybe. Subjective. I don't see any indication of a shit the blinds pattern going forward. My wag is we see a -NAO episode Feb into March.

1708041600-CUXemWh6ykc.png

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Might not be exactly what we were expecting, but after maybe a one week milder period, this type of pattern can get us back to normal pretty quick. As is, it looks somewhat like 2015, but there are hints of Scandi ridging retrograding.

Latest Euro weeklies depict a longwave pattern progression from that^ to this for mid Feb. Can kick? Maybe. Subjective. I don't see any indication of a shit the blinds pattern going forward. My wag is we see a -NAO episode Feb into March.

Is there any hint of the active stormy snowy pattern advertised on seasonal models?

47 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Depressing that it looks like we might go another year without a HECS. We have to be closing in on the longest gap in between HECS that we have ever had.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Weenie 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic