Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

Just now, Deck Pic said:

It's not really even flipping around.  It completely lost a storm it's had for like 10 straight runs.

Good point.  I would guess this is one of those weird Euro MR burps where it has a totally new solution and then comes back (weenie, I know).  I remember it did that with some of our other events too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heisy said:

This looks like a 6z control progression but spacing not gonna be enough

I told you that probably wont work.  Even that control run wasn't going to work and it wasn't even going to be close.  I saw some of the posts about it and went and looked and was like...huh this was going to be way OTS.  The angle that trailing wave is coming in at and the angle of the trough trailing from the TPV makes it almost impossible for that final caboose SW to amplify and come north.  It's going to swing way too far SE before turning the corner.  Plus, with 2 waves ahead of it, its simply unlikely to have enough left along the STJ boundary for it to activate a healthy storm in time.  

Yes, in an ideal world we get the TPV out ahead and then something comes in behind but the spacing isnt even close for that to work.  I was just thrilled the guidance went from keying on the lead wave on Monday/Tuesday to the second wave on Tuesday.  That allows the chance for the front the clear and to get a healthy enough boundary wave like the GFS.  You're going greedy and trying for the next wave which yes if you were to change some variables would have HECS potential but its too late in the game to get those changes imo.  I've been wrong but man would I be really really shocked if that last trailing wave was able to turn the corner and amplify.  I hope I am wrong but that seems far fetched imo.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

It's not really even flipping around.  It completely lost a storm it's had for like 10 straight runs.

how many times does the euro bring a storm back after completely losing it

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

5 day model losses storm rule? Weenie handbook item from long ago? But having it completely disappear is just so strange! Ensemble time! BUT this is disheartening to say the least

this would never happen with a cutter/Rainstorm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 4

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

this would never happen with a cutter/Rainstorm

You know this is BS.  First of all of course a cutter doesn't just go away because for a storm to cut up into the lakes it has to be way way way more amplified than the subtle arctic boundary wave we are tracking for our snow here.  A very minor difference won't make a 988 cutter just turn into nothing but a subtle difference on a weak boundary wave can.  But cutters change all the time, but we don't give a crap if the snowfall goes from 12" to 6" in Green Bay or if the snow line moves 50 or 100 miles when its 600 miles away from us! 

Welp, we've flipped places. GFS looks good and Euro looks sickly and supressed/weak  Barely any precip in the area

Called it this morning, “watch gfs be snowiest model today”

Look I was rooting for a different evolution, but I’d 1000% take cmc/Ukie/gfs over this crap. Let’s see what eps does.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic