• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

7 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

If you’re in NE Illinois or the metro, I would have concerns about a last minute shift north and that the front end thump was the main show…

Are you referring to latest HRRR runs? RFD far enough NW to avoid it but not here

I still have the whole day to wait up in NW Lower Michigan (Traverse City).

The official forecast here is 6 to 8 inches and then lake effect into next week.

I don't care what happens as long as the lights stay on, we lost power for 4 days last summer in an intense storm and that was very painful.

Coming down and accumulating well for the moment, but looks to cut off within an hour. While the main show is wrapping up, there will be another slug of precip for about 5 hours this afternoon, but temps look iffy. As the low pulls into Michigan we'll get some wrap around snows as the arctic air spills in adding another inch or two.

Just got done shoveling. 

Around 8 inches came down in 5 hours (2 AM to 7 AM).

As has been posted, looks like the big snow is over for much of NE IL. So close to something bigger but I'm very happy with what fell so far. 

Getting a few more inches would be the icing on the cake. 

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.07.59 AM.png

• Like 3

LOT threw in the towel. Morning burst was nice, but in the end looks  like event will come up well short of expectations.
It became clear that the AM round would feature the heaviest rates for the metro as a whole and a majority of the snowfall, especially with southward extent. That was not well out of expectations from yesterday and working again overnight.

Maybe we could've conveyed that even better than we had, but it looked like north would be better for the afternoon part, though I do think we're going to get more snow this afternoon through tonight and end up pretty close to the storm total range.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For the Chicago metro it all comes to what falls from the sky this afternoon, where that rain/snow line sets up, and when it crashes southeast. This period has been the concern with the storm for awhile.
I wouldn't be surprised if something somewhat similar to Tuesday happens. It was raining pretty hard down to the I-80 corridor, and we had parachutes not long after. Not sure if it'll light up to that extent, but I wouldn't be surprised if the HRRR is overdoing things as usual.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RCNYILWX said:

It became clear that the AM round would feature the heaviest rates for the metro as a whole and a majority of the snowfall, especially with southward extent. That was not well out of expectations from yesterday and working again overnight.

Maybe we could've conveyed that even better than we had, but it looked like north would be better for the afternoon part, though I do think we're going to get more snow this afternoon through tonight and end up pretty close to the storm total range.

Looks like the 9:31 AM updates mention 3-5 additional inches in the North parts of IL rest of the storm? That band over the Mississippi River looks nice if it can not miss north!

Your office running on coffee and Redbull?

Looks like the 9:31 AM updates mention 3-5 additional inches in the North parts of IL rest of the storm? That band over the Mississippi River looks nice if it can not miss north!

Your office running on coffee and Redbull?
Based on the hellacious thump we had up there, 3-5" additional would line up pretty well with the forecast grids I did overnight (Gino did the AFD to help free me up to help out with our morning briefing graphics). It's been a week lol. Lots of extra hours for everyone. Not gonna lie, nice to be done for the week.

• Thanks 1

Majority of the snow with this storm will fall within 2-4 hours today. All models have a very intense snow band pushing through between 6-10pm today. Snow rates will likely be 2-4"/hour with the possibility of thunder. 

Areas away from the lake have a good chance at 3-6". I can't say the same for you further south but just referring to the GTA @mississaugasnow

• Like 1