• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

Today was a whole other kind of crazy and will be going back in at 11pm. Probably won't have enough time to chime in much, but will try to respond on any forecast stuff of note this evening.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

great afd per usual

• Like 3

With the amount of snow and the low ratios, compaction is going to really factor in.  Would be interesting if someone had the time to run two snowboards and do an aggregate hourly and storm total measurements.

I can make this happen.

Though, further inland may be more interesting.

• Like 1

MPX went with a WWA for me instead of a warning. Could still end up with well over 6” of snow but it’s going to be thanks to the long duration, not high rates. Looks like we will top out at about 0.5” per hour around here. Good luck to those in the heavier bands. Looks like there should be some persistent 1-2”/hour bands closer to the low.

58 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

DTX-YXU-YYZ all same forecast problem, in warm advection period Friday to late o/n, is it sleet, wet snow or rain and snow mixed?? .. urban heat islands will tend to reduce lying snow in metros, would look for 2-4" totals in cities, 4-6" in rural areas, leftover lake effect top ups but snow belt areas will see 6-12" top ups of 8-12 in storm snowfalls for 14-24" totals. For DTX-YXU-YYZ best idea is to warn of moderate snowfall potentials in cities and bad to impossible driving conditions by tail end of storm in snow belt areas to n and w. Snow 10-15 cm potential north of about hwy 7 in s ON, only 2-5 Niagara, 5-10 GTA, but this could bust on high side if warm advection is weak (never seems to happen in current climate).

Deep winter is coming, GFS gradually edging towards Euro solution, but in Euro solution you get trade-off of sure blizzard west, sure warm advection mostly rainfall east, so it's a tossup in DTX-YXU-YYZ zone, I would predict along lines of "intervals of rain, sleet and snow, accumulations 5-10 cm" (2-4 in) and stress the travel problems to n and w of zone since it's a weekend and people will be inclined to plan travel in that direction (I would not want to be planning it, roads are going to be closed in snow belt areas by Sat afternoon-evening and returning south later on Sunday will be problematic even if one does get up to ski or cottage areas). I recall bad accident on 400 north of TO in somewhat similar storm march 18 1973, zero vis lake effect on icy snow-covered roadway, trucks piling into stalled cars, on a Sunday afternoon in southbound lanes. On said occasion, Toronto city mostly (1.0") rain, 1-2" snow, suburban areas 0.50" rain, 5" snow, snow belt 8-12" snow. 

Thank you for the write up. Should be an interesting afternoon now casting as the GTA and Detroit are right on the line 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

18Z Euro furthest west it's been all day

18Z GFS furthest east it's been all day 

Gotta love the models 

What do our met friends think?

Euro is going to score a big one or be big time wrong, most other models have leaned the other way today

This trough feature extending from the main SLP is an interesting development that we've seen gain traction over the past 12-24 hours.

It can enhance precip/snowfall. Folks in the Northeast see significant versions, Norlun troughs, that sort of do the same.

download.png.0af9708fff73909ed5a81508bcf3f15a.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

0z hrrr is very odd. Have a double barrel strengthening low. Both low centers strengthening. One tracks basically over me and the other well se. It changes over precip from east to west. Gets me in a waa screw hole between lows. Not sure I buy that evolution. Very strange. 

2 minutes ago, Radtechwxman said:

0z hrrr is very odd. Have a double barrel strengthening low. Both low centers strengthening. One tracks basically over me and the other well se. It changes over precip from east to west. Gets me in a waa screw hole between lows. Not sure I buy that evolution. Very strange. 

All of the models have this feature. Look at the animations a couple of posts above. 18z Euro is a little different, in that it has the western low going farther north, like the NAM has been showing. Regardless, kinda interesting how they all have a changeover moving from east to west, to varying degrees. 18z HRRR was kinda the first show this. And then the trough feature that Joe pointed out.

I've been out of the main show for a couple of days, but it'll be interesting to watch this all unfold.