joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

1 hour ago, Terrapinwx said:

533645329bd61cfb4d32190b6d1d5eda.jpg
cc94cbb15f3e7a812e40690d380295fb.jpg
Going to be lots of erosion on the bay if we get a 5 ft surge with 6 ft waves. Luckily the peak wind/waves should be brief compared to most storms

If this comes to pass, severe erosion on southerly exposed shorelines (SE to SW exposure) on the bay. 5 foot+ tides north of southern AA County with strong winds and big waves. The closest analog to this tide level and wind direction is Isabel (6.5 foot tide). If a property was damaged in Isabel, likelihood is that it will be damaged in this storm.

This is very different than the October 2021 storm (3.5 foot tide) that had northeasterly wind and damaged a different shoreline (those exposed to waves from a northeasterly direction) with 3.5 foot tides. Locations damaged in that storm will likely have less impact from this storm due to wave exposure being less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stormy said:

Oragraphic lift will create some very heavy downpours on the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge. Would expect some 4 - 6 inch totals.

Hopefully some of those rates in western Albemarle will sneak over to eastern Augusta 2mar...Growing up in nw Albemarle along the Moormans and Doyle's rivers with big flooding is what started my love for weather... Nov 85.   April 92.   June 95 were the most memorable... This setup of a huge moisture feed up the entire coast reminds me a bit of April 92 ...

1 minute ago, Brianonymous said:

I had put this in the wrong thread, so I corrected ->

AACo schools just issued a 2hr early closure for tomorrow. The heckin heck?

And I quote: AACPS: Due to expected heavy rain, strong winds, and deteriorating road conditions

To be fair, counties along the bay will have issues.

31 minutes ago, Imgoinhungry said:

Surprised to see schools announcing early dismissals!? What time are the wind gusts expected to be in 40-50 mph range?

Some of the coastal counties have issues with school busses on rural roads near tidal waters in setups like this. It's just easier to eat an hour or two and move the kids before the tidal problems start.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Brianonymous said:

I had put this in the wrong thread, so I corrected ->

AACo schools just issued a 2hr early closure for tomorrow. The heckin heck?

And I quote: AACPS: Due to expected heavy rain, strong winds, and deteriorating road conditions

Tides will be high enough (5+ feet) to flood out roadways near the water, especially toward evening. Prudent for them to dismiss early to make sure busses can actually get the kids home. Early closure also terminates after school activities which would be even more impacted by the tide levels. Tides over 3 foot will cover some coastal roads; tides over 4 feet will have widespread impact and make some roads impassible. Tides are supposed to break 5 feet.

Annapolis Water Levels Time Series Plot0

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

Tides will be high enough (5+ feet) to flood out roadways near the water, especially toward evening. Prudent for them to dismiss early to make sure busses can actually get the kids home. Early closure also terminates after school activities which would be even more impacted by the tide levels. Tides over 3 foot will cover some coastal roads; tides over 4 feet will have widespread impact and make some roads impassible. Tides are supposed to break 5 feet.

Yeah, I guess this whole thing just caught me off guard. I had gone back into weather hibernation since the snow event vaporized. 

I didn't even know this was coming until AACS texted.

Going to be an interesting day tomorrow!

ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE Pacific Front has been BLASTING Texas today with 55 mph gusts of Pac Puke.

Pacific puke air is flooding in on strong WNW winds. We got very little rain from the pac front. I spent hours today chasing trashes and yard furniture. It was so damned bad it resembled a scene straight out of Amityville Horror or Poltergeist! That storm is exploding and it is heading for the Mid Atlantic with quintillions of metric tons of rain and more pac puke, then it will smash right into the SNE Region with even more pacific rains that will provoke massive amounts of snowmelt up there and very likely destructive runoff on ski resort grounds.

This so-called pac winter is going to end up utterly destroying what little is left of the Eastern US ski resort industry, at least for 2024.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should I actually be considering leaving work early tomorrow, let's say around 3 PM, as opposed to around 6 PM? 

I usually would never even consider it for a rainstorm but I keep seeing so much about how nasty it supposedly will be in the evening

35 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Should I actually be considering leaving work early tomorrow, let's say around 3 PM, as opposed to around 6 PM? 

I usually would never even consider it for a rainstorm but I keep seeing so much about how nasty it supposedly will be in the evening

I work at 8pm in Crofton, I'm leaving a bit early and not taking my normal backroads that take me to 301. And we can do this all again friday night

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

BCPS canceled after school activities. 

Just saw that a little while ago and was kinda surprised! Wonder if they'll dismiss early (this would be a random day where it would affect as I'm supposed to play for one of the schools and they're doing a feeder tour thing, lol)

6 hours ago, Terrapinwx said:

533645329bd61cfb4d32190b6d1d5eda.jpg
cc94cbb15f3e7a812e40690d380295fb.jpg
Going to be lots of erosion on the bay if we get a 5 ft surge with 6 ft waves. Luckily the peak wind/waves should be brief compared to most storms

The winds on the Bridge coming up that very long fetch from the south is killer. I’ve been in some 45mph stuff that was scary . When it’s like winter cold fronts and very windy from nw it’s somehow not like 50 miles of open water 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic