Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

29 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

I agree.  I'm on the top of a hill at about 940' and was out for three days after the 12/23/22 wind storm, and for 2 days a few weeks back.  The previous owner built the house in 2003 with 24" steel i-beams and 2x8 exterior wall construction.  I thought that was ridiculous until I lived here for a few months.

That is massive overkill but I bet you sleep well. I'm at 420' on top of a hill with 2x6 walls and I haven't blown over yet. Was on a framing crew a while back and we had to do some steel I beam construction as part of a 24' tall vaulted room over staffordville lake for wind load.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Depends on how big the wind is. I would definitely be willing to give up a foot of snow if November 1950 walked through the door.

My earliest wx memory.  I was on our NNJ with Dad and older bro, watching the trees thrashing.  When tops and limbs began flying around, Dad said it was time to go inside.

Only competition for strongest wind experienced was on 12/31/62, the backside NW gales from the blizzard that ate BGR.  Both gusted to near 70.  Next tier is Hazel and Bob with G60+, then the April 1982 blizzard (in Fort Kent) along with 3 weeks ago, both with 50+ gusts for hours.

And watching a "pure" cutter morph into a major front-end thump before changeover during the past 4 days has been entertaining.  May it continue so the snow doesn't get soggified.

• Like 2

Just now, codfishsnowman said:

It boggles my mind how well these cutters are forecast and the weekend's no slouch either.

Well cutters have a much bigger strike zone but it’s fascinating how easy it is for models to pour liquid qpf over the same zones run after run after run. I went back 14 cycles of the gfs and they’re basically carbon copies for CT.

Just now, Sled said:

That is massive overkill but I bet you sleep well. I'm at 420' on top of a hill with 2x6 walls and I haven't blown over yet. Was on a framing crew a while back and we had to do some steel I beam construction as part of a 24' tall vaulted room over staffordville lake for wind load.

He was a welding fabricator, so it came natural to him.  Nice not to have support posts in the garage.  It's a 38x90 open space.  The 2x8 walls is overkill, for sure.  But I appreciate it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My earliest wx memory.  I was on our NNJ with Dad and older bro, watching the trees thrashing.  When tops and limbs began flying around, Dad said it was time to go inside.

Only competition for strongest wind experienced was on 12/31/62, the backside NW gales from the blizzard that ate BGR.  Both gusted to near 70.  Next tier is Hazel and Bob with G60+, then the April 1982 blizzard (in Fort Kent) along with 3 weeks ago, both with 50+ gusts for hours.

Wow hopefully I get the chance to see some big wind like that. The 1950s had many big cutters and hurricanes. The wind and cold snaps on 12/31/62 and Groundhog Day 1976 are super impressive. I always wonder how strong the winds got on Cold Friday in 1810. I heard that houses were unroofed and destroyed.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s been non stop since the summer. I’m praying for stein to post the video again, of his hands rummaging through the top dry layer of his garden.

Not until May. I’ll rain every other day if it means a big snow dog can beat the odds and hit. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s been non stop since the summer. I’m praying for stein to post the video again, of his hands rummaging through the top dry layer of his garden.

I just noticed today that my pool water level is just below the cover...guess I will be out shoveling the mini glacier trying to access it so I can pump some water out before the great flood. I know as some point it is going to get cold enough to freeze and cause damage to the liner....I have had to pump out so much water from that thing since late June...

When law of averages take over, it is going to drought like Southern Cal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Spaizzo said:

What time is the heaviest of rains about moving into ct? Need to plan on reaching family member as her area flooded the last time and she got nervous

They're supposed to move in tomorrow night and overnight tomorrow night ( the heaviest of the rains )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I just noticed today that my pool water level is just below the cover...guess I will be out shoveling the mini glacier trying to access it so I can pump some water out before the great flood. I know as some point it is going to get cold enough to freeze and cause damage to the liner....I have had to pump out so much water from that thing since late June...

When law of averages take over, it is going to drought like Southern Cal.

It's our new climate regime, unfortunately

3 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

That's a good question for snow-eating potential. Depends on the model and what you believe to be true, maybe ~12 hours above 45 in your hood?  That's roughly what the Euro and gfs have.

Yea I just looked at NORHSC for my station and others she gone

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Cranky in the house 

This is a great tool that should be utilized . First time I have seen this. Look at how it lights up the elevations and also places 25-50 miles from the shore and misses the valleys. 
https://x.com/ericfisher/status/1744531434562265456?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

10/29/21 was basically a cat 1 here. I can't recall those rains on leafed trees. Many parts of the  S shore were over 85-90mph.

The March 2018 storm was one of the most impressive events in winter that I can recall. My house was shaking. It also was extremely damaging on the coast. Marshfield had some of the worst damage since 78...probably up there with the Oct 91 storm and that's after new codes in place. 

Jan 22 was epic for 

winds in a blizzard 9 hrs over 35