• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet accumulations of a coating to an inch, and ice accumulations of a light glaze.

* WHERE...Stafford, Eastern Loudoun and Northwest Prince William Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 AM to 7 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation is expected to begin as snow and sleet between 7 and 10 AM. Precipitation will change to freezing rain between 10 AM and 1 PM, then rain after 1 PM. Precipitation is expected to end during the early evening.

The killer for most of us is the roaring southerly winds at around 5000 ft.  Here's a forecast sounding for DC at 19Z or 2 PM  Note that where the warm layer is and has DC at around 4C. that's also where the winds are southerly at 50kts or stronger.  image.thumb.png.ee666ef013d681f884ad000ec83e057d.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Depth of the airmass isn’t good enough. Yea we’re cold now because we’re directly under the axis of the northerly flow behind an amplifying wave. But at its zenith the cold barely gets south of us and isn’t expansive so as soon as the return southerly flow hits ahead of the next wave it’s easily scoured out. But hey we’re only 12 days after the long wave flow changed and the pac puke was cut off. . We need at least 3 weeks of a good long wave pattern to have any chance to be cold enough. 

Logically what you are saying makes sense, but we have seen torch to a foot of snow many times before.  The writing is on the wall for this and sure its gonna be too warm.   But to say we need 3 weeks of pattern change just to get a chance of snow makes me think it is almost impossible for the MA to get a snow storm.

Maybe you are saying this just in the context of this set up.  

16 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

RRFS is our best bet... and that may be the first time it's been mentioned on this forum in relation to an event. I believe it's essentially the updated HRRR... so worse things to have on your side. It's at least a #sleetbomb as opposed to rain.

1704592800-tlSzQxhQn5o.png

1704592800-9YCTLdgH9Ls.png

Better than anything we had last year…I’ll take

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Winter storm warnings up. I was not expecting to get one. 

I'm not surprised you got one. It will take longer for Westminster to switch over, if at all, thus you stay snow longer, under heavy rates. Happy for you!

8 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I didn't realize 3-6 inches was WSW criteria. I guess as long as it could exceed 5"+?

The potential is there for 5", hence the warning. Will it happen, who knows? 

1 minute ago, Solution Man said:

Better than anything we had last year…I’ll take

So would I. This has morphed into a wintry mix event with that warm layer at 850mb. Let's hope the southerly winds are less strong than forecast so we could hold off the changeover.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Logically what you are saying makes sense, but we have seen torch to a foot of snow many times before.  The writing is on the wall for this and sure its gonna be too warm.   But to say we need 3 weeks of pattern change just to get a chance of snow makes me think it is almost impossible for the MA to get a snow storm.

Maybe you are saying this just in the context of this set up.  

The pattern is missing key features that would generate a solid winter storm not just for the MA but for the Northeast as well. How many arctic intrusions with wind chill headlines and sub zero air masses over the northern Plains and Great Lakes this season. None. Very abnormal to see this over an extended period like we have. Bass boats were being launched on the lakes in Minnesota on 12/27, on a lake where cars normally drive on with thick ice. Something is amiss and yes it would take a larger scale phenomenon to get it to shift.

No mechanisms in place to both drive arctic air in and keep it. Pattern is not amplified like needed. No blocking, no ridging out over the western U.S. we get cool passages with modified air. Not going to get it done. El Niño is only one factor. That just guarantees more southern stream energy, drought going away with ample moisture but it does NOT necessarily mean more snow. No cold air to produce. PSU is correct in his assessment. Going to take a more persistent change or else it’s more of the same.

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm not surprised you got one. It will take longer for Westminster to switch over, if at all, thus you stay snow longer, under heavy rates. Happy for you!

I mean mostly every model has me getting 2” or less. But guess we will see what happens. 

17 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

The killer for most of us is the roaring southerly winds at around 5000 ft.  Here's a forecast sounding for DC at 19Z or 2 PM  Note that where the warm layer is and has DC at around 4C. that's also where the winds are southerly at 50kts or stronger.  image.thumb.png.ee666ef013d681f884ad000ec83e057d.png

That’s the big shift on the NAMs. The low position is now drastically mor inland and north than it was at 0z. Hence more southerly wind vs southeast. It evidently is making a huge difference.

This is yet another quick hitting cold snap.  If it wasn't for this storm, we'd probably be heading into the 40s tomorrow.  The h5 pattern is just too far north...really need a stout high to offset that.  I certainly don't mind being in Frederick for this one, but it almost seems like Hagerstown is the spot to be.

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

This is yet another quick hitting cold snap.  If it wasn't for this storm, we'd probably be heading into the 40s tomorrow.  The h5 pattern is just too far north...really need a stout high to offset that.  I certainly don't mind being in Frederick for this one, but it almost seems like Hagerstown is the spot to be.

Yeah but it hasn't been warm either.  It has been just about average for the highs this time of year.

Mid to upper teens dew points generally don’t give that away in 24-30 hours. Very stout high  of 30.40+ the same.  If you watch the center it’s been moving toward a path right along VA/NC border. I think we are good for accumulating snow right around DC but 20 miles to east and south more problematic 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

RGEM still hasnt budged. Slight tick north with the vort this run. Starts as snow into the cities and stays all snow west of the Blue Ridge. 

snku_acc-imp.us_ma.png

It’s a lot drier tho… and likely more realistic than past runs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Mid to upper teens dew points generally don’t give that away in 24-30 hours. Very stout high  of 30.40+ the same.  If you watch the center it’s been moving toward a path right along VA/NC border. I think we are good for accumulating snow right around DC but 20 miles to east and south more problematic 

Strong southeasterly winds off the deck coming off a mild Atlantic will erode that airmass quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

I mean mostly every model has me getting 2” or less. But guess we will see what happens. 

the further west you go the better the chances are, obviously. but if precip comes in hot and heavy enough you could put down a 3+ inches before any flip. 

its going to come down to real time observations, there are so many minute details that will make a big difference on who booms vs who busts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

the further west you go the better the chances are, obviously. but if precip comes in hot and heavy enough you could put down a 3+ inches before any flip. 

its going to come down to real time observations, there are so many minute details that will make a big difference on who booms vs who busts. 

yeah this is def gonna be a nowcast event, one small tick/shift colder/warmer is a huge difference esp for like NW moco/E loudoun

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic