• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

14 minutes ago, SnowBeach said:

Lots of uncertainty today. From my perspective, living in SEVA trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a cabin in the Luray area for a chase. Happy for the something to track within the state this year, but not excited about a sloppy solution or bust driving all that way. Would love the input from the seasoned vets and Mets on this area. 

Edited to add: willing to wait until 12z tomorrow to make a decision.

I did some hiking this afternoon on Skyline Drive near Luray.  Surprised to see that shaded areas on north-facing hills had some snow cover.  I think that area should do well on Saturday.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I did some hiking this afternoon on Skyline Drive near Luray.  Surprised to see that shaded areas on north-facing hills had some snow cover.  I think that area should do well on Saturday.  

Problem there is accessing it. They shut the drive down any time there’s inclement weather, so it’s either hike in/out or wait for the road to reopen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro took a better track. It’s colder north of us. It’s just now at cold with the antecedent airmass as the gfs. There isn’t any synoptic correction we need other than for it to be several degrees colder. 

I don't have access to the off run euros. 

Can you post the 850s for the Gfs and Euro?

How big of a spread is it?

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro took a better track. It’s colder north of us. It’s just now at cold with the antecedent airmass as the gfs. There isn’t any synoptic correction we need other than for it to be several degrees colder. 

And one of them will be wrong. Or both. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

And one of them will be wrong. Or both. 

Will be interested to see the thermals on the EPS for indy members. They have decent resolution compared to members of GEFS/GEPS. The mean & more importantly the median ticked up at 12z after a not so great op run. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I'm up on Hogback mountain (SW of Leesburg).    On Monday we got snow all afternoon (though no accumulation), whereas just 200' lower in elevation it was all rain.  Never seen it so clearly demarcated like that.   Will be curious if the same thing happens this weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WolfStock1 said:

I'm up on Hogback mountain (SW of Leesburg).    On Monday we got snow all afternoon (though no accumulation), whereas just 200' lower in elevation it was all rain.  Never seen it so clearly demarcated like that.   Will be curious if the same thing happens this weekend.

We’re wine club members at Stone Tower. Beautiful spot up there on Hogback. You should do well even compared to Leesburg. 

IMG_0785.thumb.gif.26b91d8de07fed6657e25d32061e18af.gif

this is what I mean.  And ya of course if we had some arctic banana 1035 high instead of the inverted trough to a NS system ya…but that was never the setup. Within this paradigm we got most everything to go our way, as it often does in a Nino, we just need it to trend a few degrees colder. It’s not impossible!  It’s a minor adjustment. The NAM was much cooler leading in but it has the wrong synoptic solution. lol. That said given the recent results I’d rather need warmer v colder as an adjustment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_0785.thumb.gif.26b91d8de07fed6657e25d32061e18af.gif

this is what I mean.  And ya of course if we had some arctic banana 1035 high instead of the inverted trough to a NS system ya…but that was never the setup. Within this paradigm we got most everything to go our way, as it often does in a Nino, we just need it to trend a few degrees colder. It’s not impossible!  It’s a minor adjustment. The NAM was much cooler leading in but it has the wrong synoptic solution. lol. That said given the recent results I’d rather need warmer v colder as an adjustment 

Perfect track rainstorm lol

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We’re wine club members at Stone Tower. Beautiful spot up there on Hogback. You should do well even compared to Leesburg. 

My wife and I were married at Stone Tower...beautiful spot

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Perfect track rainstorm lol

Ya I know but I’m not trying to have that fight again.  My point was we don’t need a track adjustment. Case in point 18z euro was a little southeast of its 12z track and it’s slightly warmer. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ya I know but I’m not trying to have that fight again.  My point was we don’t need a track adjustment. Case in point 18z euro was a little southeast of its 12z track and it’s slightly warmer. 

Looking at the closer up map on weather models site it has a low over the bay. Probably what makes it too warm. 

13 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

mean is less but thats just cause less precip

The eps has been a false positive. At longer leads the ensemble will have a more expensive snow shield due to spread. As the lead shortens it will tighten up as variance decreases. You don’t want to be near the southern area of the snow ok an ensemble at 72+ hours. As the gradient tightens you’ll usually end up on the wrong side. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic