• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

Razor thin line for the fall line - but in this type of setup just have to accept it. Will be a nail biter for the folks riding that line - but suspect this is going to be a "classic" elevation winner storm of the past. I sure as heck won't jackpot in the eastern half of Montgomery County - but I'm okay with where I sit...for now. If it bleeds N/W again I'll be screwed. 

What a terrible hobby for us to all have ;) 

• Haha 5

Still in the game, but nailbitingly close. 

With it being so marginal, I'm mentally dividing 10:1 snow maps east of the blue ridge by half. (not that we should be looking at these snow maps anyway)

Can't do much model analysis because I'm at work

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GFS heavy snow through NOVA and central MD. Pummeled

It all falls in like 8 hours. We better get those advertised rates.

Given the marginal temps a thump scenario is our best simplest bet to get an area wide happy result.  

• Like 6

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Razor thin line for the fall line - but in this type of setup just have to accept it. Will be a nail biter for the folks riding that line - but suspect this is going to be a "classic" elevation winner storm of the past. I sure as heck won't jackpot in the eastern half of Montgomery County - but I'm okay with where I sit...for now. If it bleeds N/W again I'll be screwed. 

What a terrible hobby for us to all have ;) 

think GAI and westward/northward has a decent shot of plowable snow

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS is interesting. It has a stronger vortmax in the plains and so I thought if would maybe follow 6z euro. And it does end up a bit stronger/norther, but the WAA thump is legit. You don’t get soundings like this often from the GFS. This is legit heavy snow for a few hours Saturday afternoon.

IMG_7494.png

This is what I'd call a "High Chance of Disappointment" Profile. Even higher elevation won't save you from the mixed bag possibility. Go west young man!

• Haha 1

All the 12z guidance so far suggests the metro corridor and points N/W will really thump when the precipitation arrives. Your IMBY total will depend on ratios and how long you can hold the column. But if that GFS sounding is right, it’s puking fatties until the flip.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

For those of you that want to nailbite even more about elevation - this is the Maryland LiDAR viewer

https://geodata.md.gov/topoviewer/

Cool tool if nothing else - REALLY high-res data there. I think @mappy might have been the one to post it a long while ago. For map geeks, can get lost for hours in just scrolling around. 

Gonna use all of my 98 meters!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

Curious what part of Western Loudoun are you in....is it for real Western Loudoun or Ji's version of Western Loudoun? If it's for real Western then i think your area is in a pretty good spot for this one especially Round Hill on West

I'm between the hills (Harpers Ferry Road) about 3 miles south of Harpers Ferry. I have a long access road and about 150' higher than the road surface at 725'. It may be a sweet spot for this storm. I've had a couple inches on the ground before and drove through Hillsborough on the way to work with nothing on the ground.

Seems a *bit* overdone for such a fast mover, but man...being right on this R/S line is leaving me with few to no fingernails already.

It’s dicey up here, too. I’m kinda surprised at the model snow output, all things considered…but I’ll take it.

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

It’s dicey up here, too. I’m kinda surprised at the model snow output, all things considered…but I’ll take it.

Elevation will only help so much, eventually the warmer column will win. Front end thump is where it's at before we all dread the mix line on CC lol

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Its a 3-5/4-8 type thumper. We havent had one of those for a while. I am looking forward to it. 

This is very much what I’m leaning right now. I’m still curious to see the PBL on soundings when we get to Nam Nest and hi-res range. That’ll help out tremendously in the snowfall forecast. 

Edit: This is more for NW of the fall line with the best chance north of I-70 and west of US15. I’m leaning 1-2” in the district with a small incremental increase the further NW you go. 

• Like 4

The models have been consistent that this is a fall line storm. There will be a brutal cutoff and if I had to guess it’s going to be just west of 95- where it always is. Perhaps those of us down in the lowlands have a shot, but I’m prepared for disappointment and if you live where I live you should be too 

21 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

For those of you that want to nailbite even more about elevation - this is the Maryland LiDAR viewer

Cool tool if nothing else - REALLY high-res data there. I think @mappy might have been the one to post it a long while ago. For map geeks, can get lost for hours in just scrolling around. 

I'm right at the base of the fall line in Adelphi. It could go either way for me. lol Thanks for sharing this tool. 

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Elevation will only help so much, eventually the warmer column will win. Front end thump is where it's at before we all dread the mix line on CC lol

lol, I wonder how much sleet is really gonna be at play with this one.  Seems like mostly a rain or snow situation, but I could be wrong.

23 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

anyone have this tool for VA?

I take back what I said about the GEFS. Mean initially looked better, but checking out the median reveals an outlier or two is tossing things up. Overall - GEFS throws out a weaker system. Looking at the ens is nearing (if not hit) it's expiration date anyway, but the >1" probs aren't exactly thrilling 

1704607200-S1psrc2YCrs.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic