• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

NWS with a WSW out for "Portions of southern Connecticut, northeast New Jersey and southeast New York."   5-8" fits with my thinking unless we get the NAMMY.

Like saying I am marrying my high school sweetie unless I get the troll under the bridge.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Box not biting here. Looks like they are thinking a non event south and east of Boston 

They did say "Greatest uncertainty I95 south and east" with of course the exception of the Cape and Islands.

13 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Preface: not a met, subject to error.

WAA= warm air advection. This mode of precipitation is caused by warm front mechanics, generally. Warm air moving northward. Pre-mature cyclone.

CCB: cold conveyor belt. This type of snow is a result of cyclonic curvature funneling moist air into the dendrite-forming column in the atmosphere on the cold side of a system. It occurs during the strengthening of a cyclone to near peak strength and continues once it reaches maturity.

subject to correction

What's the difference between a CCB and a TROWAL?

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I laugh at the attention you guys give the NAM. 

At this range I seriously only trust the RGEM/Euro on a system like this...obviously the GFS is gonna over torch the BL among other problems the NAM/ICON/UKMET just cannot be trusted for various reasons...by this time tomorrow we can probably begin to trust the NAM somewhat 

• Like 1

I'm guessing they're just taking the NAM and paying it no mind.

After the winter storm watches that are hoisted for Southern New England, they have the winter storm watch going from Saturday evening all the way through late Sunday night. Night. So I guess they expect the snow to continue through the day Sunday and to Sunday night.

One thing I notice about the nam comparing the models at 48hrs (which includes 3km, rdps etc.) is that compared too all other 18z models and 12z ones that came out earlier, the 12km has the weakest low pressure. Maybe that lends credence to the idea of it being somewhat of an outlier?