Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

55 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Name checks out

Goes all the way back to 1996 and my first horrible fantasy football team. :-) 

The team was so bad that some of the folks in that league tried to change the name to ToolSh1ts. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Goes all the way back to 1996 and my first horrible fantasy football team. :-) 

The team was so bad that some of the folks in that league tried to change the name to ToolSh1ts. 

Loved Tool during their prime. Maynard is a musical genius and Adam Jones is... well... Adam Jones lol.

I've mellowed out last 10 years and don't listen to heavy stuff nearly as much but it was a big part of my musical tastes for many years 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Loved Tool during their prime. Maynard is a musical genius and Adam Jones is... well... Adam Jones lol.

I've mellowed out last 10 years and don't listen to heavy stuff nearly as much but it was a big part of my musical tastes for many years 

If you haven't listened to their latest from 2019, you should.  It's really good. 

Going to see A Perfect Circle, Puscifer and Primus in April in Atlantic city as well.   Never seen a Perfect Circle, so happy to get the chance. 

19 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Ok, it's about that time.  Back from the gym in time.  Goddamn resolutioners are back.  Can't wait until March when 75% of them will be gone.    Anyway, on with the show.....

The annual resolutioners were (are) the absolute worst. Clogging the equipment. Preening in front of the mirrors (when/where available). Taking (hogging) valuable space in the locker rooms, and extra minutes in the showers. Absolutely couldn't wait until most of 'em abandoned their resolutions by, as you mention, March...or early April, latest. Until NEXT January, of course... :) 

Heading out tomorrow around noon for Chicago (specifically Algonquin). Opted to throw my shit in the truck and drive vs. try and make the United flight with the weather/grounded planes 'n all. Will try to intercept LES in northern Indiana Saturday if it materializes as well. Staying with one of my closest friends who is still to this day continually amazed at how much I love snow. Trying to sweeten the pot for her to come with me by cooking for the whole family the rest of the long weekend lol.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, toolsheds said:

If you haven't listened to their latest from 2019, you should.  It's really good. 

Going to see A Perfect Circle, Puscifer and Primus in April in Atlantic city as well.   Never seen a Perfect Circle, so happy to get the chance. 

Primus Sucks! (Iykyk)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Aenima is still one of the best albums I’ve listened to. Like Bob, my tastes have changed over time, but that album has a special place in my memory bank. Stinkfist = genius. Eulogy = epic. 

I'm slowly coming to acceptance that I'm missing snow next week. I'm going through the stages of grief...first was to root for it to miss then it was to try to figure out how to skip the trip (I like paying my mortgage so this one is a no go) then it goes to rooting for a smallish event to finally saying f it good luck everyone and hope my wife isn't too pissed because she has to shovel

17 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

I'm slowly coming to acceptance that I'm missing snow next week. I'm going through the stages of grief...first was to root for it to miss then it was to try to figure out how to skip the trip (I like paying my mortgage so this one is a no go) then it goes to rooting for a smallish event to finally saying f it good luck everyone and hope my my wife isn't too pissed because she has to shovel

This is the forecast I wanted to hear.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, snowfan said:

Aenima is still one of the best albums I’ve listened to. Like Bob, my tastes have changed over time, but that album has a special place in my memory bank. Stinkfist = genius. Eulogy = epic. 

Undertow is my fave. So raw and untamed. Made me drive fast a lot lol. Like any new band with a new sound that gets popular.... big production takes over and the gritty raw appeal just goes away. Aenima was still pretty raw and awesome but the change was in motion. Tool became very polished to my ear with Lateralus and 10k days. Lost me as a regular. Lots of bands do this.

Rush and RHCP are big examples. Early stuff had a massive following and later stuff did too.... just different people. Countless examples. I loved 311's first 2 releases. Burned them up but man did they fall apart... and become really popular... lol. I have a knack for finding new sounds that I love then watch business run the sound into the ground lol

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I've always been a hiphop head, but would also listen to alternative.  Tool is one of those groups that I could vibe with and their music videos were wild.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Undertow is my fave. So raw and untamed. Made me drive fast a lot lol. Like any new band with a new sound that gets popular.... big production takes over and the gritty raw appeal just goes away. Aenima was still pretty raw and awesome but the change was in motion. Tool became very polished to my ear with Lateralus and 10k days. Lost me as a regular. Lots of bands do this.

Rush and RHCP are big examples. Early stuff had a massive following and later stuff did too.... just different people. Countless examples. I loved 311's first 2 releases. Burned them up but man did they fall apart... and become really popular... lol. I have a knack for finding new sounds that I love then watch business run the sound into the ground lol

I've found that when i look at a bands entire career, some of their best music usually is in their first couple albums.  Its when they are raw and coming out with a unique sound.  Look at bands like Korn and Deftones and so many more.  They have a DGAF attitude and its raw and crude and much more in your face.  

Conversely, something I love trying to do is find raw outtake songs by other well known bands.  Led Zeppelin is really cool to do this too.  They laid down so many versions of songs before refining things and getting the final version.  Those are some of the most raw versions of famous songs and show the brilliance they had.  It just gives new perspective to familiar sounds.

• Like 3

Need Advice from a DC Local.. whats the deal with flying out of Reagan and long term parking?  If I have a 7:00 AM flight and need to park long term, like do I need to park and then take a shuttle?  Will shuttles be running at 4:00 AM?  My Hawaii Retirement Celebration starts tomorrow and because of the Boeing 737 Max 9 grounding I am now flying out of Reagan.

9 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Need Advice from a DC Local.. whats the deal with flying out of Reagan and long term parking?  If I have a 7:00 AM flight and need to park long term, like do I need to park and then take a shuttle?  Will shuttles be running at 4:00 AM?  My Hawaii Retirement Celebration starts tomorrow and because of the Boeing 737 Max 9 grounding I am now flying out of Reagan.

Yes. If you park in long-term parking, you need to take the shuttle to the terminal. Depending on the time of day and which stop you get picked up at, it can take anywhere up about 15 minutes to get to the terminal once you get on the shittle.

Pretty sure they run 24/7, or at least as often as they need to get people to the terminals on time.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Yes. If you park in long-term parking, you need to take the shuttle to the terminal. Depending on the time of day and which stop you get picked up at, it can take anywhere up about 15 minutes to get to the terminal once you get on the shittle.

Pretty sure they run 24/7, or at least as often as they need to get people to the terminals on time.

You can also get a really good deal parking at the Marriott nearby - did that for recent vacation.   Shuttle runs every 30 mins IIRC.   Parking much cheaper than DCA long-term.   Not sure what service (booked by wife) - maybe Park N' Fly.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic