• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

30 minutes ago, wdrag said:
  2. The NAEFS Ensemble: A 52-member ensemble consisting of 31 GEFS ensemble members and 21 Canadian (GEPS) members. The GEFS has 30 perturbed members and a control member. The GEPS has 20 perturbed members and a control member. Although the GEFS and GEPS are run at native resolutions of 25 and 39 km, respectively, the NAEFS is distributed on a 1x1 ...

THI Grand ensemble forecast is I think input once/day and then presuming the RFC has the antecedent conditions correct, the river responds to the qpf.  I'll show you with the attachments. 

The RFC forecast itself only out to Jan 10 while this Jan 6 12z ensemble  is out to 10 days. Therefore its when the period ends that determines max river stage.

If the ensemble is wrong, the river response is different. I think the ensembles are pretty good now, and it's a matter of forecaster input into the model that determines the river stages that make the curve.

I use NAEFS in winter: GEFS seems conservative in winter. HEFS, I've no experience.

I think it is wise to consider the NAEFS ensemble river forecast as a good first guess...
    The following should help for Pine Brook: I hope this is useful and you can verify Wednesday and beyond. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.28.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.28.33 AM.png

Thanks for all the info/insights, but I still am curious about the difference, as the RFC forecast I posted clearly says through 1/13, so it's not cut off on 1/10.  IMO, discrepancies like that are not good to have unless there's a really good reason for it (like the forecasts are simply different - but if they are, the NWS should explain that so users aren't confused).  

Just now, tdp146 said:

What’s the rule for a “trace” of snow. I thought I remember someone saying even if it’s not accumulating whatsoever, if there are snowflakes falling, it’s considered a “trace”

Yeah. A trace is unmeasurable snow. A single flurry or heavy snow that's not sticking both are a trace. If you can't measure 0.1" it's a trace.

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

CoCoRahS climate sites final for D1. I'll have a D1-2 combo tomorrow at this time. Click maps for clarity.

This gives an idea... imperfect but quite a snow gradient in Sussex County NJ ranging from 6" southeast to over a foot northwest.  My count at 10AM in Wantage is 13.1.  

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 12.12.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 12.13.23 PM.png

Guess snowman19 was right. No one in Westchester or Rockland 6+ at least based on that map.

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Tomorrow I'll probably update the headline to maybe add a tag???  and certainly make it clear that OBS for this next event just fall right into this thread. 

I'm probably gassed out for the day... and won't post much more til tomorrow morning. 

Thanks for the great posts. I only slept about three hours and then had to shovel out the plowed in end of the driveway.  Plow guy is coming when its done to do the remaining 500 feet. Maybe an afternoon nap. LOL

Sun has come out in Garwood, central Union County, NJ, after a little light snow...Town plowed after 1" of snow last night, twice.  They always do a great job, but certainly a waste of taxpayer money, considering the entire event was above 32 degrees.  If they were concerned about accidents, they could have just concentrated on a few intersections on the main road.  

1 minute ago, Logan11 said:

Thanks for the great posts. I only slept about three hours and then had to shovel out the plowed in end of the driveway.  Plow guy is coming when its done to do the remaining 500 feet. Maybe an afternoon nap. LOL

Since I have no emoji's...thanks... these are what we like to enjoy. Gotta have some fun. Thagts a heckuva long driveway!!! Sticks I suspect, just like up here near the Appalachian Trail.

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic