• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

5 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

The models were showing a well OTS solution and then I think the 12z Euro on 12/24 started the trend back. Models are a lot improved from then. Hard to believe I’ve been on this board since before that storm.

12z gfs 12/24

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Not really....I think the Newark/NYC/LGA area does have a shot for something here but you probably need to see this come in 2-3 hours ahead of what most models have now.  That is an area that could if everything went right probably see like 2-3 inches.

If it came in 7 am instead of 7 pm this is likely accumulating snow for everyone but it is what it is. 

7 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I’m not going to do it but I’ve literally considered going somewhere to storm chase and sleeping in a car. 

I have storm chased before....but personally, I would wait until an 18+ type storm is gonna hit the chase area. I've done Monticello, Albany, North Conway NH, and western Mass. But I recommend a hotel and not your car

• Like 1

fwiw... 4PM NWS collaborated snow forecasting experimental impact.

For me, looks half an inch or so conservative I95 where I think an inch will fall but melt quite bit on initial contact 2-4PM. AFTER the initial thump goes by around 9P, it warms aloft for a few hours.  Matter of temp during snow. If 33 CP Will get some whitening on the snow board.  NBM and most models pretty conservative so that's the prevailing forecast.  None of em are easy.

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 7.15.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 7.18.17 PM.png

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Better question is why would you want it anyway... it'll be washed away almost immediately, so might as well keep the historic snowless streak going as long as possible.

That is my thought as well. Get to 2 full  years of no snow, then we can get some snow.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

If it came in 7 am instead of 7 pm this is likely accumulating snow for everyone but it is what it is. 

Well physically in this setup that could not happen lol...the reason events like 2/2008 happen where it comes in way early is usually due to the high positioning.  Our biggest events happen when the high center is new PWM when the event starts and usually is near southern Ontario or maybe Huron/Georgian Bay day prior.   In this case the high is simply way too far north

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

I’m not going to do it but I’ve literally considered going somewhere to storm chase and sleeping in a car. 

Just come out to Vernon tomorrow morning and get a room at Crystal Springs. Awesome hotel. Good bars, great restaurants. Skiing. Appalachian Trail is a 5 minute drive. You will have snow .

4 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Just come out to Vernon tomorrow morning and get a room at Crystal Springs. Awesome hotel. Good bars, great restaurants. Skiing. Appalachian Trail is a 5 minute drive. You will have snow .

I literally did this. I'm leaving at 1030 am tomorrow from southern morris county lol

EPS and NBE information.

image.png.f5eb2e7605cfb8990d64f35e91390127.png

Note: EPS data is based on 10:1 ratios. Actual ratios will be much lower given the above freezing temperatures during the storm.

My guess is that Central Park will likely see a slushy inch of snow while lower Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island see a coating.  There is still room for minor changes.

I remain concerned about the combination of warm soundings and above freezing temperatures.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

I literally did this. I'm leaving at 1030 am tomorrow from southern morris county lol

Toot your horn as you pass exit 30 on I-80.

Former southern Morris County resident now west central and up at about 1000'.   It makes a difference in snow totals in certain situations...tomorrow being one of them.

• Like 3

Toot your horn as you pass exit 30 on I-80.
Former southern Morris County resident now west central and up at about 1000'.   It makes a difference in snow totals in certain situations...tomorrow being one of them.

This is acting very much like a storm from my childhood (borderline snows at MMU, lots in the higher elevations); the past twenty years had been a pleasant surprise when we’d get more than Sussex and Warren.

12 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

NAM I'd say is a tiny bit colder/snowier this run especially for the zone between 95 and 287.

Also has the backend snow that I'm very skeptical of.

The backend stuff I do not think you'd have the snow growth required to really produce much

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic