Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, CAPE said:

How about both? Probably going to see a light/moderate event (or 2) with modest waves tracking to our south before any KU potential the way the pattern looks to play out. One of these waves could be always weak/ suppressed I suppose.

AND we should have a reload as the Aleutian Low gets going in February 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So let me get this straight...despite alllll the snow drought we've had the past 7-8 years, you're still gonna be picky if we get a big storm? Maaan get outta here with that, lol

Moderate events to me are 8-12". Anything over a foot is a big storm to me.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

You have folks here who were ungrateful for the Jan 2016 blizzard just because it was a one and done winter. I don't get that...but to each their own!

it was a great storm, but that was an awful, under-performing winter.  I was wearing shorts for most of december 2015.  february 2016 was filled with heartbreaking near misses.  that winter should have delivered much more snow than it did.  the snow from the blizzard completely melted in a week and we had bare grass the rest of the winter.

contrast that with the winter of 13/14 -- no great storms, but an amazing winter.  the last good winter we had was probably 14/15.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hopefully this includes us 

Keep seeing some say the south may see a snow event before we do. And looking at those maps wouldn't that be more suppressive? (For that week, at least) Man if NC gets a snow event before we do...*screams into pillow* Still have snow ptsd from Dec 2018 (though that was a little bad luck, lol)

If it happens it would kinda make sense...as someone posted earlier...we do better on the relax.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

54 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Can I make a circle around DC/Balt/ up to the Mason-dixon line and assume...not there?

Or not anywhere south of there. As of now its an OV/GL/interior NE snow event. Cold comes in behind, which has been the expectation based on the preponderance of guidance. Still a chance the cold comes in sooner with some frozen NW areas, but we know how that usually plays out.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t like it. It’s too much. Even 2016 when it did hit I was  worn out from over a week of that shit by the time it got here. This was more fun and less emotionally draining when stuff would pop up 48-72 hours out. 

I was thinking about that the other day when tracking today's system. Like how I miss the times when we'd wake up to surprise snows, or when something sneaks up on us within a couple of days.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I was thinking about that the other day when tracking today's system. Like how I miss the times when we'd wake up to surprise snows, or when something sneaks up on us within a couple of days.

I feel like Jan. 2022 (or at least the first system that month) was a little like this. Granted, I had just moved here, so maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Either way, it was fun. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

May be pulling up xmACIS to check what they did.

January 2014 event- the week before KIAD got 8.5". For those dates, cold with 0.3".

January 2011 dates- KIAD 1.2"

January 1992 dates-- cold and dry

March 9-10, 1960 dates-- 5.8" at DCA (Bigger storm here to open that month)

March 11-12, 1960-- cold and dry at DCA

December 11-12, 1958-- cold and a Trace at KDCA

March 24-25, 1940-- cold and a Trace in DC

January 23-24, 1940-- big storm, 9.5" in DC and cold

January 29-31, 1936-- Cold and 0.2" in DC

December 28-29, 1935-- Cold and 6.3" of snow in that period.

So we know it's cold, but it can give us a decent event based on the event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Update on my winter outlook for our subforum.

TLDR - lowered expectations by 25% east of 15. No change west of 15.

My area is 15 to 30 inches.  Hopefully a few moderate events and one MECS gets me to 30 inches.  Thanks for the update.     

15 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Update on my winter outlook for our subforum.

TLDR - lowered expectations by 25% east of 15. No change west of 15.

I’m holding. Not saying I’m not getting a little nervous. But I have a sneaky suspicion either things line up for a typical Nino run at some point and we hit my forecast or it doesn’t and we don’t get even close. 

• Like 6

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Because it looked different emoji6.png

But didn’t matter really minus some mood flakes. What else is there to do but watch

Yep.  Need that 986 low to move south and turn into 1006.  Maybe 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, frd said:

Nice visual - here comes the cold,  the animation loop stops on Tuesday Jan 17 th . Looks 6 to 8 degrees above normal at that time. 

Optimism and pessimism aside, what are our chances of getting some of that to come east?  The -NAO would argue for it, but I'll wait until Chuck approves.  I have heard that the EPS is looking nice after MLK day.

8 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Optimism and pessimism aside, what are our chances of getting some of that to come east?  The -NAO would argue for it, but I'll wait until Chuck approves.  I have heard that the EPS is looking nice after MLK day.

Colder air will move in. As many have stated here, the period of interest is from the 15 th to the 20 th, or possibly to near the 23 rd.