Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like a trof to me, just smoothed over. Granted there aren't pretty Penn State blue colors there, but that look is far from troublesome imho.

Agreed but there should be blue!  Yea it’s a trough. Ugh never mind. I think we will be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Lol...focus on the weekend and enjoy!

No it’s a Nino. I want all the snow! 

Now. Later. Later when it’s now and now when it’s later. I want to steal Docs DeLorean so I can experience the now and later snow at the same damn time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You skip right to the negative of every post 

Well I mean...it's been nothing but bad news and things going wrong the last 7 years, compounded by more bad news of a potential negative change in climo. I think I've been interpreting everything in that lense...Now to be fair, the main part of your post pointed out a speculative negative...so I kinda went "UGH" because again, we've had so many negatives over the last 7 years, and often your posts during that stretch (that are factual--not criticizing that or saying you shouldn't say something) have been bad news...I guess it's a bit of a learned reaction! You haven't been able to deliver much good news before now, so I assume it's gonna be bad, lol And anytime you post even a tiny concern, it seems magnified...but that part is a me problem so pay that no mind, lol

• Weenie 3

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well I mean...it's been nothing but bad news and things going wrong the last 7 years, compounded by more bad news of a potential negative change in climo. I think I've been interpreting everything in that lense...Now to be fair, the main part of your post pointed out a speculative negative...so I kinda went "UGH" because again, we've had so many negatives over the last 7 years, and often your posts during that stretch (that are factual--not criticizing that or saying you shouldn't say something) have been bad news...I guess it's a bit of a learned reaction! You haven't been able to deliver much good news before now, so I assume it's gonna be bad, lol And anytime you post even a tiny concern, it seems magnified...but that part is a me problem so pay that no mind, lol

I’m going to start specifying the parts of my posts you aren’t allowed to read. Here I fixed it for you. Try this again. 

47 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Read the Bolded part 

Since I know how some react to any non rainbow and unicorns analytical statement I make let me be clear I’m very optimistic we will be fine.  

NOW STOP READING 

This is just speculative. 

The old gefs looks didn’t bother me too much. Yea I didn’t love anything looking that way but I was 90% sure it was out to lunch. 

This though…is slightly and I mean only slightly troubling. 
IMG_0769.thumb.jpeg.ddd031958b23f5cf09d9e361fb33aa15.jpeg

Look at the pac pattern the last week of Jan. 1 should produce a trough at 2!  But it’s not.  That’s been consistent on the euro for a while. We get the pacific we want but… 

I think that’s wrong too. And yea I know by Feb 7 it starts showing a trough. But it keeps pushing that back. Not the pacific but the downstream effects.  Not much blue anywhere on that map though outside the Nino n pac low. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Since I know how some react to any non rainbow and unicorns analytical statement I make let me be clear I am very optimistic we will be fine. This is just speculative. 

The old gefs looks didn’t bother me too much. Yea I didn’t love anything looking that way but I was 90% sure it was out to lunch. 

This though…is slightly and I mean only slightly troubling. 
IMG_0769.thumb.jpeg.ddd031958b23f5cf09d9e361fb33aa15.jpeg

Look at the pac pattern the last week of Jan. 1 should produce a trough at 2!  But it’s not.  That’s been consistent on the euro for a while. We get the pacific we want but… 

I think that’s wrong too. And yea I know by Feb 7 it starts showing a trough. But it keeps pushing that back. Not the pacific but the downstream effects.  Not much blue anywhere on that map though outside the Nino n pac low. 

Yeah I've been speculating in my head (dangerous) that this upcoming blocking period mid-late Jan may be the best part of the winter.  I have concerns that when the MJO swings back around by early Feb that it will combine with +AAM and overcharge the Pac jet again and you get that sort of east-based nino look like the weeklies are showing there.  That's a long ways off, but been pondering that.  I think this -NAO episode mid-Jan is going to be a good one though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Stormchaserchuck1…this produced 3 snow events and one of our epic Nino snow runs.  -pna. I think this is where we’re headed. Yes or no, are you saying this wouldn’t work anymore? 
IMG_0767.gif.17efe98a6051ff270e46e7243c780be0.gif

With a -3 or -4 sigma NAO don’t you need a -PNA anyways, like a +PNA wouldn’t work, again long range and analyzing teles are not my strong suite.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah I've been speculating in my head (dangerous) that this upcoming blocking period mid-late Jan may be the best part of the winter.  I have concerns that when the MJO swings back around by early Feb that it will combine with +AAM and overcharge the Pac jet again and you get that sort of east-based nino look like the weeklies are showing there.  That's a long ways off, but been pondering that.  I think this -NAO episode mid-Jan is going to be a good one though.

2015-16 style

that kind of pattern reminds me more of Jan 2011 / Feb 2021 / Mar 2018 though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

No it’s a Nino. I want all the snow! 

Now. Later. Later when it’s now and now when it’s later. I want to steal Docs DeLorean so I can experience the now and later snow at the same damn time. 

This. Sig material lol

25 minutes ago, griteater said:

Except pac jet extensions set up epic snow runs in some of the past Nino analogs. That pack looks fine. Should teleconnect to an eastern trough. Of course that was with a less torched pacific sst

IMG_0727.gif.358b83c295a897e11c2ba1a07d8523da.gif

IMG_0729.gif.dbc7bee84e4eed044ccdd04a440f4914.gif

IMG_0732.gif.602b1c2d636240d72b8894ef24c67a62.gif

IMG_0730.gif.754e7dd12a76e50f4682a49732e70802.gif

IMG_0728.gif.176e2d4d1743682dad4d2c9e618e2cd7.gif

IMG_0731.gif.4e3e29ebddfa577f4c8fdf2e8134a0b2.gif

• Like 4

Front end thump potential has increased a bit for the Jan 9-10 storm over the last 2 GEFS runs, with the usual places favored in these types of events. A stronger 50-50 low is one reason. Pretty nice surface HP placement and CAD sig with precip on the doorstep of the western zones.

1704790800-3bhL9XZHBYc.png

1704790800-xbnfkUVxOiY.png

1704823200-VUd7HMTMgmQ.png

• Like 7