Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It depends how things turn after the cutter on the 10th, which we still possibly could start as some frozen if we get lucky with the details.  But after that there is a huge difference in how the EPS and GEFS progress the pattern with the GEPS somewhere in the middle.  

Neither is stacked immediately after although if the EPS is correct I definitely could see us getting some frozen from a progressive boundary wave in the 12-17th time period, although another cutter is possible if something phases and is too amplified.  If the GEFS is right almost anything, even a progressive wave will cut well west of us in this time period.  

After that again depends on which guidance wins out...the EPS slowly shifts the trough southeast under the block as the pacific resumes a more nino look.  Eventually by the 18th or so we could be chasing a big storm again.  The GEFS on the other hand goes off the rails and the extended goes towards a full nina look and even flips the AO/NAO positive and frankly looks like 2020 and last winter by late January and implies winter is over after this Jan 7 storm. 

I do not think the GEFS is correct.  The EPS matches my expected progression for the season so why would I favor the less accurate guidance that goes against history.  But....I still will feel better when it caves!  Thought it was in the process of caving yesterday then it reverted to full on disaster.  I expect it will cave soon but  I will do a shot in relief when that happens.   

this is exactly why i was so nervous a few days when the Jan 7 storm looked like it might be heading towards the toilet. We would be at zero inches by January 15th for the winter with nothing in sight for the most part. We would of been relaying then on a HECS to save winter. Getting this storm is really really really critical

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It’s coming in slowly on WxBell but it’s a mauling for almost all of us with plenty of wiggle room SE of cities… maybe even best down there.

Gutentag.  I like seeing that 6” line down in the Northern Neck, personally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

an aside before we head into storm mode: you like weathermodels? I occasionally find myself in the “free” version (weather.us) and am always impressed with the array of stuff there. I’m just so used to WxBell

yeah i have weathermodels bc it has most of the weatherbell stuff for a good amount cheaper, there is a lot of cool stuff and it usually comes out at around the same speed including euro/eps offruns

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was one of the oddest cases of any HECS storm for the mid atlantic.  Initially there was a STJ system crossing the 4 corners as a stronger cut off system dove into the Dakotas out of Canada.  They phased over the upper midwest and 99% of the time that would have been game over for us except we had maybe the most ridiculous block ever preventing anything from cutting and forced the closed upper low to continue southeastward.  It did still have a STJ connection, there was a weak wave down in the gulf with a moisture feed up into the system but the dominant feature was always the NS system that dove due south out of Canada then turned southeast and continued southeast right across VA.  

I guess I would categorize it as a hybrid but it was as close to a NS miller b as any in that subset.  That setup would never work again unless we had that kind of block.  

Some images from that system 

So it sounds like it was at least 80% NS-driven, so might as well be considered a Miller B.

That was probably the most intense snowstorm I've ever seen IMBY, with the way it just blew up at the perfect moment to clobber all of northern MD. Made even the other historic storms look very gentle, so I can see why a setup like that so rarely works out for us, whereas coastal New England is probably much more familiar with that type of system.

I do remember many posters being nervous and skeptical of whether it would even work out, in spite of the perfect H5 vort passes that were modeled (probably due to the insane NAO), just because that type of Miller B screws us over nearly every other time.