joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, Solution Man said:

We deserve it….Happy New Year

We need it. 

D5-6 is when models take a hop SE, then trend north as lead times continue to shorten. So that’s one thing we got to watch out for. But we do have things going against the last minute north trend - stronger confluence and better cold air. And the 1/4 lead wave never trended north, it just continued to weaken and trend south from D7 to D3, and I don’t see it changing much from here on out. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

These colder and SE trends are exactly what I hoped to see. Still time though. Lead 1/4 sw just now coming onshore in SoCal, so maybe the newer runs have better data?

and Happy New Year!

Next 48 hours will be telling 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Roger Ramjet said:

Where are you at? I'm off of Harpers Ferry Road @ 725'.

I’m just past Hamilton near Purcellville. 480’ elevation. In-Laws own it though. They live right at the top of the Ridge near Bear Chase Brewery at 1,405’

2 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

So GFS/Euro heading in the right direction, CMC still heading north but not drastically. Really good day so far... I'm very close to my personal "delay putting away Christmas decorations" line, let's go 12z!

Agree.  Might leave them up.  3 inches looks like 10 inches if you squint.  Either measurement gets the job done…10 inches is better of course 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

So GFS/Euro heading in the right direction, CMC still heading north but not drastically. Really good day so far... I'm very close to my personal "delay putting away Christmas decorations" line, let's go 12z!

Lol.  Me too.  It would've been Saturday until this potential showed up.

• Like 2

Just uploaded my mid range tracking app to my brain. No ads! Been waiting for this. Immabout burned out on long range guessing and broad concept stuff. 2 years of non stop practice can do that to you. If it hits south I'll be reporting from Smith Mtn. If it hits north I'll be reporting from Weston CT.  If it hits west I'll be in the news headlines and it won't be pretty :ph34r::tomato:

• Like 3
  • Haha 17

11 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Agree.  Might leave them up.  3 inches looks like 10 inches if you squint.  Either measurement gets the job done…10 inches is better of course 

Sounds like we can finally do a bar meet and discuss over some local brews. 

13 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Same. The tree may have to go cause it’s a tad try lol but, it’s looking like we should get some moisture, just these pesky temps. I’m west of the blue ridge in VA so I’m just hoping our CAD kicks ass and saves us from P-type issues. But that’s a wishcast. 

Just now, Benjamn3 said:

Same. The tree may have to go cause it’s a tad try lol but, it’s looking like we should get some moisture, just these pesky temps. I’m west of the blue ridge in VA so I’m just hoping our CAD kicks ass and saves us from P-type issues. But that’s a wishcast. 

Kick Ass CAD…I like that

• Like 1

The differences in the 500 MB Height Anomaly North and East of us btw this mornings 6z run (where we get a nice snow storm) and yesterday's 12Z run (which shows a cutter) are significant.  Notice how the low heights extend all the way in to the Hudson Bay on the 6z.  My guess is this acts to strengthen the block, locking in HP to our north causing a tighter pressure gradient and keeping the upper level low from tracking too far north before spawning the surface coastal low.  Quite different than the 12Z yesterday where you can see a upper level low pressure extending up in to Chicago (way too far north).

6Z today:

image.thumb.png.4e60362ececfd8675ec2fd6d6d421083.png 

12Z yesterday:
image.thumb.png.c4c44fd9a236d5074505de5a4264e3fe.png

• Like 4

Been a while since we had a big storm opportunity in the mid range. All models have the storm and have been keyed in on it for a bit now. “The big ones get sniffed out early.” I feel good. Like we have hit 5 legs of a 10 leg parlay so far. We usually lose by leg 3 and then head back to the model bookies to place more bets to chase our losses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Sounds like we can finally do a bar meet and discuss over some local brews. 

Yes we can.  Still kinda need Eskimo Joe on board though…he seems a bit prickly on this. Maybe 12z will melt his ice a bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yes we can.  Still kinda need Eskimo Joe on board though…he seems a bit prickly on this. Maybe 12z will melt his ice a bit

We're about a week out and I'm still largely suspicious that we even meet climo this winter. If things are holding serve on 12z Friday, then maybe we're onto something. I hope I'm wrong and have to eat crow.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 4

14 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Kick Ass CAD…I like that

Sounds like a fuckin franchise for us Appalachian kids. My neck of the woods I have to watch this sub and the SE one. I will say this group has some amazing forecasters. I’m really enjoying reading and learning. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We're about a week out and I'm still largely suspicious that we even meet climo this winter. If things are holding serve on 12z Friday, then maybe we're onto something. I hope I'm wrong and have to eat crow.

I mean ya of course it’s a week out, hard to believe yet. If all signals still a go by Wednesday night/Thursday then we are talking. 

Just now, TSSN+ said:

I mean ya of course it’s a week out, hard to believe yet. If all signals still a go by Wednesday night/Thursday then we are talking. 

Splitting hairs here but it’s not a week out.  Euro gets precip in Saturday evening.  Yes, keep expectations in check and go with the ensembles at this range.

• Like 3