• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

It seems like it's a lot more difficult to get record low maxes than low mins. Low mins are much easier to set. I mean when was the last really impressive low max? Maybe MLK day 2019? 5F was the daytime high for PVD that day which was the coldest low max since "Cold Sunday" on 01/17/82 in which the day time high was 1F. Barring the cheap midnight highs of course.

Just now, WJX231 said:

It seems like it's a lot more difficult to get record low maxes than low mins. Low mins are much easier to set. I mean when was the last really impressive low max? Maybe MLK day 2019? 5F was the daytime high for PVD that day which was the coldest low max since "Cold Sunday" in 01/17/82 in which the day time high was 1F.

No way. It’s the other way around for the majority of sites.

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It snowed all day here, with a high of 7°. Maybe an inch of accumulation?

Yeah about the same here. Very fluffy stuff. The conditions are incredible, they opened West Mountain today and most of the glades - I feel like it’s some of the best snow we’ve had in years. Feels like skiing on baby powder. 

IMG_0678.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No way. It’s the other way around for the majority of sites.

Really? That's surprising to me. I can only speak for PVD though. Both Valentines Day 2016 and 02/04/23 hit -9F at PVD. We also hit -6F on 01/16/04 and -5F on 02/21/15. For comparison, the last time we had a high temp below 10F was 01/16/94. So it just seems a lot more rare to get super cold highs around here.

Almost every record low min for PVD from the winter solstice through the end of February is below zero. Single digit highs have always been a lot more rare. PVD only has 9 January max temps of below 10°F in their history.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Almost every record low min for PVD from the winter solstice through the end of February is below zero. Single digit highs have always been a lot more rare. PVD only has 9 January max temps of below 10°F in their history.

This is what I mean, although I wish there was an easier way to customize records to exclude the cheap midnight highs. For instance MLK Day 2019 had a midnight high of 10F but daytime high was only 5F, Christmas 1980 had a midnight high of 35F but daytime high was -1F which is insane.

28 minutes ago, alex said:

Yeah about the same here. Very fluffy stuff. The conditions are incredible, they opened West Mountain today and most of the glades - I feel like it’s some of the best snow we’ve had in years. Feels like skiing on baby powder. 

Yeah, it’s great.  Just stuffed with pow.  Digging trenches.

IMG_7767.jpeg.c1dad111def772287a700cf928cb4390.jpeg

IMG_7759.jpeg.cc6c23378a47547ca1e7824bd4ae644c.jpeg

IMG_7761.jpeg.d82da2c214e300f03f04c0fbdcea89e0.jpeg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Crazy good conditions…but a power failure and winds took out all the upper mountain lifts today. Should have driven down.

We had Quad and Gondola on hold until 10am and 11am respectfully.  It was a busy day, people know there’s snow up here, ha.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

We had Quad and Gondola on hold until 10am and 11am respectfully.  It was a busy day, people know there’s snow up here, ha.

Meanwhile my son in Montana rode the loft with an older gentleman at Bridger Bowl yesterday and he said it’s the worst winter for snow there in 50 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Meanwhile my son in Montana rode the loft with an older gentleman at Bridger Bowl yesterday and he said it’s the worst winter for snow there in 50 years. 

The west is interesting… some good, plenty of bad.  Like Utah and Colorado seem to be having a good run of it lately and are above normal at places like Alta and Steamboat.  Tahoe and into northern Rockies not so much.

• Like 1