Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah both are still too far out to be using OP runs more than just eye candy (or lack there of) 

But they seem to be coming back a little stronger as signals on the 12z suite so far. There is a nice cluster of further west members on GEFS at 12z

IMG_9991.png

smelling a Cape or bust event 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Welcome to the 80’s Ant….this is how it always was then. Pulling teeth to get 1-3”. Folks have been spoiled. 

Well we’re not getting much snow, but I wouldn’t call this the 80s either. My ground would maybe be brown, but it would be frozen 2 feet deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I recall in the early 90’s the weather channel had those wind chill maps they ran every hour . The maps were increments of 20f, there seemed to often be -40/-60 upper plains /Minnesota-20/-40 NNE and often -20 to 0 over SNE as I recall . There were often that cold drier clipper pattern with air masses from Siberia or wherever . I do not miss those in the slightest but they did certainly seem more common. I think I recall Dave Schwartz) with his super smooth delivery on many of those 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Can you imagine the excitement and giddiness and general party atmosphere that will be going on in here if and when it does snow again . Just to get an inch of snow . For most posters in SNE the first since last Feb . For now . Just a wish .

Block party in Tolland?

51 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well we’re not getting much snow, but I wouldn’t call this the 80s either. My ground would maybe be brown, but it would be frozen 2 feet deep.

The snow part I meant…that’s what it was like.  4-8” was a huge storm back then. It was mostly 1-3 and 2-4, 3-6 and everybody was thrilled.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

We can’t get every storm guys. We gonna blow every precip record away?

Lol.

Dry has to happen some time; unfortunately it’s with the cold.

I thought this in October at some point we are going to go through a prolonged dry period and I thought it would be winter, but clearly not. We might be looking at a dry spring 

46 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I recall in the early 90’s the weather channel had those wind chill maps they ran every hour . The maps were increments of 20f, there seemed to often be -40/-60 upper plains /Minnesota-20/-40 NNE and often -20 to 0 over SNE as I recall . There were often that cold drier clipper pattern with air masses from Siberia or wherever . I do not miss those in the slightest but they did certainly seem more common. I think I recall Dave Schwartz) with his super smooth delivery on many of those 

Network news on cold weather, and I think TWC, routinely use windchill maps showing temps in the teens and twenties to hype cold outbreaks.  Because actual cold outbreaks where people live just don't get cold enough anymore.  Semi-related, GEFS means for next Friday would seem to support snow maybe as close to BOS as 495 with the cold air chasing the back edge of precip to the coast.