Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it'd hard to call them futile with 77-78, 93-94 and 95-96 in there

Eh, 5 above average snowfall winters in 30 years is real rough.

This century Central Park had 13 above average snowfall winters in 23 years, or 56.52%. Huge contrast unfortunately. 

59 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This winter so far is more evidence that there seem to have been two pattern shifts to our winters starting with the 15-16 super El Niño. The first shift is that all our winters since then have been warmer to record warmer. So this winter will mark a record breaking 9 consecutive warmer winters. The beginning of the warmer period from 15-16 to 17-18 still was producing record snowfall within the 09-10 to 17-18 window. Then around 18-19 we started to see a decline in snowfall to a lower baseline than before 2010-2018. The common denominator seems to be a more amplified MJO 4-7 pattern and a stronger ridge near the Northeast. It will be interesting to see if we can at least change up the snowfall equation and sneak in another year like 20-21 over the next few winters.

My working amateur thesis was that maybe another Niño would snap things back in a positive direction for people like me who love the cold and snow.  Might have to revisit that……

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

This MJO interaction with the El Niño is causing too many jet extensions which make it tough to sustain cold or more than a week at a time like we are currently seeing. 

A7B7489B-9B32-4572-9E60-5424A34FFBFE.thumb.png.6b866502c0744cbc55b6505f92099248.png

24EDA6B4-25E4-46E5-9E5E-2CFFB1838605.thumb.png.c965f0a483b6a76f61d7ddbd1166640e.png

If we flush all the cold out of North America again it will be hard to rebound with the clock ticking 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This MJO interaction with the El Niño is causing repeated  jet extensions which make it tough to sustain cold or more than a week at a time like we are currently seeing. 

A7B7489B-9B32-4572-9E60-5424A34FFBFE.thumb.png.6b866502c0744cbc55b6505f92099248.png

24EDA6B4-25E4-46E5-9E5E-2CFFB1838605.thumb.png.c965f0a483b6a76f61d7ddbd1166640e.png

If there’s a positive NAO, no muting that pac air.  Dr Lee doesn’t seem optimistic a negative NAO comes from this strat disruption.

17 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

If we flush all the cold out of North America again it will be hard to rebound with the clock ticking 

Not your typical El Nino with a backloaded February. Still plenty of time for it to change but not looking good .

6 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

This leads to what I was referring to before. The western IO water temps will once again have wave amplification in Phase 1 (see the MJO plot). Will be similar to what we just had in terms of MJO, albeit perhaps without the blocking.

32 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Eh, 5 above average snowfall winters in 30 years is real rough.

This century Central Park had 13 above average snowfall winters in 23 years, or 56.52%. Huge contrast unfortunately. 

Getting 93-94 and 95-96 two out of three years was enough for me not to care about the late 90s lol, those were two amazing winters whose memories will last for a lifetime.  As a matter of fact as 1995-96 approached the record, I thought to myself, that if I only get to experience a record winter for snowfall, I won't mind if it never snows again, just get that one great winter like the oldtimers always talked about lol.

After 1995-96 I stopped following winter weather for the rest of the 90s, because that one winter had enough snow for the entire decade (add 1993-94 in for 2 historic winters in the same decade), the next time I cared about winter was 2000-01.

I judge active decades for snowfall in terms of how many seasons in the decade have 50"+ inches of snowfall.

There were 2 in the 1960s (1960-61 and 1966-67), 1 in the 1970s (1977-78), 0 in the 1980s, 2 in the 1990s (1993-94 and 1995-96), 1 in the 2000s (2002-03) and 4 in the 2010s (2009-10, 2010-11, 2013-14, 2014-15).  That 2010s decade was absolutely amazing!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Not your typical El Nino with a backloaded February. Still plenty of time for it to change but not looking good .

My “time to be concerned if we don’t see a turnaround” window is around now and not encouraging to see these signs of the Pacific going on another rampage. If snow is out of the question I’m fine with it warming into the 40s-50s again. Screw these cold periods with nothing to show for it. If it’ll be another total fail “winter” the worst is useless cold. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My “time to be concerned if we don’t see a turnaround” window is around now and not encouraging to see these signs of the Pacific going on another rampage. If snow is out of the question I’m fine with it warming into the 40s-50s again. Screw these cold periods with nothing to show for it. If it’ll be another total fail “winter” the worst is useless cold. 

It's annoying that an ocean more than 3000 miles away has this much of an effect on our weather.  It's not like the Atlantic has this kind of effect on Asian weather =\

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

And even moreso, no one but no one wants more rain.  If it's going to be in the 40s and 50s it should be sunny and clear and no rain for at least a month.  Get the rainy, misty, foggy crap out of here, once and for all!

57 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's annoying that an ocean more than 3000 miles away has this much of an effect on our weather.  It's not like the Atlantic has this kind of effect on Asian weather =\

56 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

And even moreso, no one but no one wants more rain.  If it's going to be in the 40s and 50s it should be sunny and clear and no rain for at least a month.  Get the rainy, misty, foggy crap out of here, once and for all!

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Good morning Liberty, Allsnow. I’ve read that the oceans absorb much of the carbon output. If the oceans are sentient perhaps what is being experienced could be called justice. If they are not then the effects may be more in the realm of self fulfilling prophecy. Stay well, as always …..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

I'm selling most of my winter boots online. 

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

If Dr. Simon Lee is correct and we go into February with a +NAO/+AO due to the latest unfavorable stratospheric and SPV developments we are in big trouble. You will be at the mercy of strong ++ENSO/El Nino induced PAC jet extensions, MJO waves propogating over phases 4-6 with the WPAC warm pool convection and the -PDO. You are not going to sustain -EPO with a Nino this strong and +PNA does no good when you have +EPO/+WPO and no arctic or Atlantic high latitude blocking over the top

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Worth noting the amount of low level cold in this synoptic setup and the storm track H5 creates during the 'relax' period at 500.  Could lead to an icy situation.  Lotta HP in eastern Canada.

Periodic reminder we don't live at 500mb

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If Dr. Simon Lee is correct and we go into February with a +NAO/+AO due to the latest unfavorable stratospheric and SPV developments we are in big trouble. You will be at the mercy of strong ++ENSO/El Nino induced PAC jet extensions, MJO waves propogating over phases 4-6 with the WPAC warm pool convection and the -PDO. You are not going to sustain -EPO with a Nino this strong and +PNA does no good when you have +EPO/+WPO and no arctic or Atlantic high latitude blocking over the top

Yeah the only place that will be cool is the SE where even in that pattern they'd see their coldest February in like 8 years since without the SER they won't see days of 75-80

• Like 1