Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

12 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Would have been packed. 25 years ago schools rarely closed, the trusty 7 train took my mother around in all sorts of storms and blizzards, and the idea of banning travel would have been ludicrous. 

Now we live in a world where everyone with a twitter account and an ounce of power feel the need to preemptively declare an emergency, tell us how this setup is more dangerous than anything before, and use both those reasons to take away the right to leave the house from hours before an event to hours or days after.

Cant wait to see my kids school delayed 2 hours for 3 inches of snow on Tuesday because Westchester never saw snow before 

I gotta disagree here. We know better now, and nothing is so important that it can't wait, except for medical and essential workers. School can wait, can be done online, can be made up. Yes we drove in the bad weather in the past. I got stuck in the heavy dump in Jan 87 that was not well modeled; I never saw snow come down like that. I drove a Chevy Monza, rear wheel drive on an 8th of a tank. I could have died. They let us out at 10 am from Piscataway. Took me 4 hours to get to Woodbridge. In Dec 92 I got stuck teaching a class all day with no power because they didn't think to cancel classes with a huge storm coming. And, we also have demonstrably worse weather now, witness the pics above in Metuchen. Nothing personal here, I just don't think the risks are worth it. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I gotta disagree here. We know better now, and nothing is so important that it can't wait, except for medical and essential workers. School can wait, can be done online, can be made up. Yes we drove in the bad weather in the past. I got stuck in the heavy dump in Jan 87 that was not well modeled; I never saw snow come down like that. I drove a Chevy Monza, rear wheel drive on an 8th of a tank. I could have died. They let us out at 10 am from Piscataway. Took me 4 hours to get to Woodbridge. In Dec 92 I got stuck teaching a class all day with no power because they didn't think to cancel classes with a huge storm coming. And, we also have demonstrably worse weather now, witness the pics above in Metuchen. Nothing personal here, I just don't think the risks are worth it. 

It's just a matter of judgement.  Folks here aren't making the 'Hey our parents smoked in the car and we didn't wear seatbelts.  I love the good old days, why can't it still be that way' argument - that's a dumb argument.  I think folks are just saying that the judgement these days seems to err too hard on the side of caution.  Additionally - and I know this point has been made at some point here -  if there's genuine concern about safety, then close the schools, don't have the dopey 2 hour delay, which just causes problems for everyone involved.

• Like 3

Buffalo also had a deadly blizzard last year and many people died. Yea died. I’m ok with them pushing back the game one day. 

Also, let’s be honest here:
giphy.gif

Our lives aren’t changing because they adjusted the time of a playoff game. People are safer because of it. Awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

Would have been packed. 25 years ago schools rarely closed, the trusty 7 train took my mother around in all sorts of storms and blizzards, and the idea of banning travel would have been ludicrous. 

Now we live in a world where everyone with a twitter account and an ounce of power feel the need to preemptively declare an emergency, tell us how this setup is more dangerous than anything before, and use both those reasons to take away the right to leave the house from hours before an event to hours or days after.

Cant wait to see my kids school delayed 2 hours for 3 inches of snow on Tuesday because Westchester never saw snow before 

It's getting ridiculous. My kids have had 2 rain days off this year. Yes, a few roads in town were flooded, but there were alternative routes to the schools.

I bet they will have a delay on Tuesday too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, psv88 said:

Always loved the name of that town…

This was probably our windiest week In a while. Several 50-60 mph gusts with this event.

...ANZ330...
  Stongington Outer Br     60   249 PM  1/14  WXFLOW

Newark Airport           51   420 PM  1/14  ASOS
Bayville                 57   451 PM  1/14  WXFLOW
Bellmore                 56   135 PM  1/14  Mesonet
Eatons Neck              57   402 PM  1/14  WXFLOW

• Like 2

Best chance of the season so far for NYC to drop below 15° or maybe even 10° next weekend. Impressive Arctic high pressure moves east and turns the winds more NW to NNW. So this should be more of a cold air drain down the Hudson Valley instead of crossing the warm Great Lakes. Fresh snow cover from the system right before would be greatly appreciated to give NYC a better shot at maximizing its cold potential.

502D70CE-CEBE-435D-886C-7D1520692B07.thumb.png.d71adcb1a7aaad9420178d4cd1463b0d.png

• Like 3

Down to 22 here  and still 23.  Mostly cloudy today as we enter the coldest stretch of winter this season (perhaps for the season).  Light snow later tonight and overnight into Tuesday.  1 - 3 (storm thread). Overall cold 1/15 - 1/23. Cold peaks 1/19 - 1/21 - single digits inland / lower teens metro perhaps colder. We'll see if a wave can develop as trough deepens next weekend and the Arctic air arrives.   Moderation 1/23 and into the last week of the month could be above - much above normal in the period.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

• Like 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 67 (1932)
NYC: 67 (1932)
LGA: 62 (1995)

Lows:

EWR: 0 (1957)
NYC: 0 (1957)
LGA: 0 (1957)

Historical:

1852: In 1852, the long, cold winter froze the Susquehanna River in Maryland to a depth of 2 to 3 feet, preventing all ferry service. Railroad officials overcame this perplexing situation by laying tracks across the ice, with trestles for either bank’s inclines. During the several weeks from January 15 to February 29, approximately 1,300 cars with a total weight of 10,000 tons were hauled across the river from Havre de Grace, Maryland, to Perryville, Maryland.

1852 - Between January 15th and February 24th a total of 1378 railroad cars were drawn by horses across the frozen Susquehanna River to engines waiting at Havre De Grace, MD. (The Weather Channel)

1932 - Up to two inches of snow whitened the Los Angeles basin of California. The Los Angeles Civic Center reported an inch of snow, and even the beaches of Santa Monica were whitened with snow, in what proved to be a record snowstorm for Los Angeles. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1952 - A six day snowstorm was in progress in the western U.S. The storm produced 44 inches of snow at Marlette Lake NV, 52 inches at Sun Valley ID, and 149 inches at Tahoe CA, establishing single storm records for each of those three states. In addition, 24 hour snowfall totals of 22 inches at the University of Nevada, and 26 inches at Arco ID, established records for those two states. The streamliner, 'City of San Francisco' was snowbound in the Sierra Nevada Range, near Donner Summit. (David Ludlum)

1967: The Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs, 35-10, in Super Bowl I at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles. From the weather station at the USC campus in downtown LA, the high temperature was 79 degrees, and the low was 51. There was a light west wind.

1972: In Flint, Michigan, the daytime temperature rose to only -3 degrees. This is the second coldest maximum temperature recorded in the city of Flint since 1921. Detroit's high temperature was zero.

1987 - A powerful storm over the Southern Plateau and the Southern Rockies produced 24 inches of snow at Colorado Springs CO, including 22 inches in 24 hours, a January record. High winds in the southwestern U.S. gusted to 65 mph in the Yosemite Valley of California. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A small storm over the Atlantic Ocean produced heavy snow along the coast of North Carolina. The five inch total at Wilmington NC was their third highest for any storm in January in 117 years of records. (National Weather Summary)

1989 - A storm in the northwestern U.S. produced up to 14 inches of snow in the Cascade Mountain Range. Light snow in the north central U.S. was just enough to push the snowfall total for January at Fargo ND past their previous all-time monthly record of 30.7 inches.

1990 - While one Pacific storm crossed the Central Rockies, another approached the west coast. The northern mountains of Utah were buried under 17 to 35 inches of snow while the mountains of southern Utah received another 12 to 16 inches. Eighteen cities in the central U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date as readings warmed into the 50s and 60s. Wichita KS reported a record high of 68 degrees. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

52 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Only reached down to 24 degrees here in Garwood NJ, central Union County NJ.  Not a heat island.  More or less seasonable?

I’m not even at my average low for the date.  It’s crazy to me how we get Jedi mind tricked into thinking this is cold when it really isn’t, historically. It’s cold in a warm winter, and the highs are BN sure. But I’m assuming it’s the humidity increase overall that’s keeping lows pegged way higher than normal?

Also I know we’ll have some solidly BN highs and lows later in the week, just talking about now. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Let's hope they come back today 

The ensembles (EPS, GEPS, GEFS) are showing another 2-3 inch event Fri/Sat right now. If that’s what actually happens, I don’t think there will be any complaints. We’d be talking possibly 6 inches all together in less than one week in NYC. It’s been years….

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Transient warm shot hahaha

I can’t remember the last time we ever had 3 distinctly different 500 mb teleconnection patterns during a two week interval this time of year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

The ensembles (EPS, GEPS, GEFS) are showing another 2-3 inch event Fri/Sat right now. If that’s what actually happens, I don’t think there will be any complaints. We’d be talking possibly 6 inches all together in less than one week in NYC. It’s been years….

Dude, I’m happy. Seriously, hopefully getting 1-2 today and with these temps might actually keep it around, then a refresher on Friday? Sign me up. It’s needed. 

Still have time to reel in a bigger storm, but I’m fine with what’s actually in front of us. Beats another deluge cutter of doom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 7:43 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Week ahead numbers:

Warm and wet in the northern Mid-Atlantic and southern New England areas. Arctic air arrives in the Northwest and Northern Plains.

image.thumb.png.d97a65ec50cdddf3b330d143096b8d13.png

Weekly outcomes:

Overall, the period wound up even warmer than had been suggested on the guidance. It was also very wet as highlighted by the guidance.

image.png.356817be507bb87bd0cd3ff4367ffe2b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Weekly outcomes:

Overall, the period wound up even warmer than had been suggested on the guidance. It was also very wet as highlighted by the guidance.

image.png.356817be507bb87bd0cd3ff4367ffe2b.png

NYC finished in 3rd place for warmest 1st half of winter.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Mean Avg Temperature Dec 1 to Jan 14
Missing Count
1 2016-01-14 45.8 0
2 2007-01-14 44.4 0
3 2024-01-14 43.2 0
4 2012-01-14 41.7 0
5 2002-01-14 41.6 0
- 1932-01-14 41.6 0

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

This was probably our windiest week In a while. Several 50-60 mph gusts with this event.

...ANZ330...
  Stongington Outer Br     60   249 PM  1/14  WXFLOW

Newark Airport           51   420 PM  1/14  ASOS
Bayville                 57   451 PM  1/14  WXFLOW
Bellmore                 56   135 PM  1/14  Mesonet
Eatons Neck              57   402 PM  1/14  WXFLOW

and 65 mph winds from the system from the prior Tuesday

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Ending Date
Missing Count
1 2016-01-14 45.8 0
2 2007-01-14 44.4 0
3 2024-01-14 43.2 0
4 2012-01-14 41.7 0
5 2002-01-14 41.6 0
- 1932-01-14 41.6 0

2015-16 was the only winter on this list with decent snowfall totals.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Ending Date
Missing Count
1 2016-01-14 45.8 0
2 2007-01-14 44.4 0
3 2024-01-14 43.2 0
4 2012-01-14 41.7 0
5 2002-01-14 41.6 0
- 1932-01-14 41.6 0

It has been an impressively warm start to winter and the first half of January. The magnitude of the warmth makes it likely that winter 2023-24 will go in the books as yet another warmer than normal winter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I’m not even at my average low for the date.  It’s crazy to me how we get Jedi mind tricked into thinking this is cold when it really isn’t, historically. It’s cold in a warm winter, and the highs are BN sure. But I’m assuming it’s the humidity increase overall that’s keeping lows pegged way higher than normal?

Also I know we’ll have some solidly BN highs and lows later in the week, just talking about now. 

It's ironic with how mild last winter was we had two single digit arctic outbreaks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's ironic with how mild last winter was we had two single digit arctic outbreaks

The greatest Arctic outbreak in NYC since 1994 occurred  during our 2nd warmest winter in 15-16. It was colder than any of the readings in the 13-14 and 14-15 winters. The low of 3 last winter was similar to both those winters which were much colder.

Rank
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Minimum Temperature 
1 2001-2002 41.5 19
2 2022-2023 41.0 3
- 2015-2016 41.0 -1
3 2011-2012 40.5 13
4 1931-1932 40.1 18
5 1997-1998 39.6 14

Lowest temperature 

2014-2015 2 0