Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_33.png

985 low just south then scoots out to sea - still plenty of room and time for this to turn into our first snow over 2" in close to 2 years

I love seeing the high pressure to our north instead of the last two years where there was always a low pressure system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

image.thumb.png.54efe7d281ff6ffdef05851d9c100cea.png

Pulling for DC. They already had their first snow would like for them to get another.

never really works out like that though for them. If they get snow and we don’t, it’s because the storm went out to sea below us.

It is very rare where they are getting snow, and we are getting rain simply because they are so much warmer than us. It almost discounts the fact that they are a bit west, and inland.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, forkyfork said:

that pattern is absurd for a nino this strong 

It’s insane that we have a super El Niño (over +2.2C and still warming) in place, with it peaking into early January and have that pattern showing up mid-late month. Shocking really. Kudos to @bluewave for picking up on it

crw_ssta_graph_nino34.png

• Like 2

tbh long range isnt looking as god awful as it did over the course of the past 2 days. i see some signs of improvement towards mid month post thaw. i think we can still get on the board and POTENTIALLY hit it off next weekend. waiting for the euro to drop to gain some sort of consensus roughly one week out

also gonna drop a 100000 ton block of ice in the indian ocean if anyone wants to join

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, North and West said:

The late 1990s seemed pretty barren if IIRC. More than we’ve had this year and last, but pretty dead.

Dec 96 to Dec 99 was probably the worst stretch before the surprise Jan 2000 storm.  I think March 99 we did ok. I lucked out and was in Chicago for the massive Jan 99 blizzard they had 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

never really works out like that though for them. If they get snow and we don’t, it’s because the storm went out to sea below us.

It is very rare where they are getting snow, and we are getting rain simply because they are so much warmer than us. It almost discounts the fact that they are a bit west, and inland.

Yeah this one was suppressed to our south on this run.

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Incredible….

Lots of those storms were sloppy even with it being that cold 

DTW finished -14.0 in Feb 2015, even greater than the + of Mar 2012. I know we're a different climate out here in Michigan, plus you guys have the warm ocean, but even with overall winter temperatures warming to varying degrees, if one of those PV lobes breaks off and makes a dive for the east coast one of these years, watch out. Detroit has gone decades without an Arctic blast the likes of which it saw in January 2014, February 2014, February 2015, and January 2019. The blast that made Texas lose its shit in February 2021 would have likely had insane temperatures had it hit the Great Lakes or northeast rather than straight South. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Dec 96 to Dec 99 was probably the worst stretch before the surprise Jan 2000 storm.  

100%.  Remember too at the time that for coastal sections that saw little snow in the 93 superstorm, 93/94 and 95/96 seemed like freak anomalies against our experience in the 80s and early 90s.

Little did we know what the next 18 years would bring.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This isn’t a horrible look but it’s definitely not a slam dunk major snowstorm look either 

IMG_2823.png

Want the trough axis further east for us to really be in the game. Heights are higher near Greenland but no stout block that would force a southern track. That to me says cutters/maybe SWFE that would be good for New England/I-90.

• Like 1

December is concluding in mild fashion. Locations including International Falls, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis will see their warmest December on record. New York City will finish its second warmest December on record.

Strong El Niño events like the ongoing event typically see most of their snowfall after the first half of January (approximately 75% of their seasonal snowfall). The historic snow drought that grips Baltimore, New York City, and Philadelphia makes the wait almost unbearable. Patience will continue to be required.

Looking ahead to January, the picture is complex. The strong El Niño event is likely to see a continuation of the negative Pacific Decadal Oscillation (possibly -1.000 standard deviations or more relative to normal). That combination would be almost unprecedented.

Since 1950, there are two cases where the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.50°C or above and the PDO was -0.95 sigma or below (1954: El Niño winter and 2020 (neutral winter that fell just short of El Niño status).

Composite 500 mb Anomalies:

image.gif.10aefb213f6bd5249a6278380512c86c.gif

1954 was characterized by expansive and deep cold across Canada. That is not the case this year. Moreover, the climate has warmed substantially since 1954. That likely rules out its temperature anomalies. 2020 had a somewhat similar trough-ridge pattern with much more expansive warmth. However, the current winter has a much more active subtropical jet. Hence cooler anomalies than January 2020 (due, in part, to more frequent precipitation) are likely across the southern tier of the CONUS.

January 2020 can serve as a reference for a reasonable "worst case" scenario.  The January 2020 map is below:

image.png.d8a84be9134604e0b623dbb8a2bf7777.png

The latest CFSv2 monthly forecast provides an  illustration of the risks:

image.png.075e4096df28edc6beeaf46d86ca48f7.png

January 2020 featured below average snowfall across the New York City and Philadelphia areas. Monthly snowfall amounts included:

Bridgeport: 4.6"; Islip: 2.5"; New York City: 2.3"; Newark: 2.7"; and, Philadelphia: 0.2"

What could go right?

1. The PDO- could erode substantially introducing a 1965-1966-style breakdown of the generally warm pattern (albeit with less Arctic air than was available then)

2. Atlantic blocking could predominate given some storm track opportunities for snowfall

3. The sudden stratospheric warming event could ultimately lead to colder air coming into eastern North America toward the end of the month, even if it initially flows into the West

What could go wrong?

1. The PDO- remains strong (-1.000 or below)

2. Most of the impact of the sudden stratospheric warming event winds up in Eurasia

3. Atlantic blocking breaks down

4. The subtropical jet weakens

At present, it still appears that the first 1-2 weeks of January could wind up closer to normal than has been the case for December. Such temperatures would mark a dramatic departure from the "torch" that defined the closing week of December (widespread anomalies of 8° or more above normal in the Northeast). Initially, the first week of January could start dry, but a wetter pattern could emerge afterward. The key question concerns whether there will be sufficient cold still available. Afterward, there has been persistent guidance suggesting that the trough could shift out West with possible ridging developing in the East (2020 lite?). The EPS ensembles have been showing the development of a PNA- during the second week of the month, which would support conditions conducive to the trough's shifting to the West. Severe cold appears unlikely in the Northeast through at least the first half of January. Big snowstorms (6" or greater) for Washington to New York City also appear unlikely through the first half of January (ensemble guidance + strong El Niño climatology).

None of this means that winter has been canceled. It suggests that the best wintry conditions are not likely during the first half of January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Good post Don. 

Not many examples, but -PDO/El Nino December's are very close to verification for the month:

https://ibb.co/yfBVPXY

https://ibb.co/tmFPSmv

January of the 4 analogs I came up with:

https://ibb.co/2nnqHrG

https://ibb.co/sR01NT1

Talk about getting it coincidentally right for half of the Winter!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Want the trough axis further east for us to really be in the game. Heights are higher near Greenland but no stout block that would force a southern track. That to me says cutters/maybe SWFE that would be good for New England/I-90.

My hopes would be for something on the front end that goes to rain etc. I think that’s possible as long as the pna doesn’t go crazy negative in the sw