Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Next 2 ...3 hours may see some sporadic gusts over 55 mph ... anywhere N/E of this line

image.png.7e642057a67b58bc50fcdfa3f767065e.png

Yeah that squall line will probably pack a punch. It kind of reminds me of a few of those severe events that took place late last summer that caught so many off guard. Amazing just how consistent this pattern has been even as we transition into winter.

• Like 1

Another good indicator that these wind gusts must be pretty uniform throughout the region is the spatial coverage of power outages. Power outages are quite high but they seems to be fairly evenly distributed within each state with the exception being like western Massachusetts but there really isn't any county or counties that are blowing anyone else out of the water. 

1 minute ago, Supernovice said:

As much it pains me, and trust me- it does....tip of the cap to @Damage In Tolland- I did not think there was a chance in h that Logan would verify TS conditions. Even a blind squirrel- haha

Also everything grounded at Logan supposedly.

Thanks man lol. See .. we can be friends 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Gonna rip big time when this front makes it to PWM.

yeah, I caught your sentiment on that last hr.  Thing is, ...I'm noticing - fitting with theory ... - that the shore-point/coastal exposed sites are having trouble with higher end wind gusts.  The obvious/most likely cause of that is this air mass has thermally exceeded the SST's in the bite waters and surrounding the horn at this point in the season. In other words, created a cooling inversion etc. 

I'm wondering if PWM is going to be "protected" some by that?

Event not at all special in terms of the synoptic gradient; kind of a once-yr event on that front.

It’s the extreme surface warmth that’s allowing efficient mixing that set this one apart from no big deal. More like a one in five/10. Would have had that one in 10 year “feel”, for sure, if leaves weren’t down. 

• Like 2