Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

This morning’s ensembles show something on Jan 4-6, something coming off the gulf with cold-enough temps. Still a long ways away, lets see if that potential holds. 

Btw, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! Happy Holidays all!

Anytime I hear Gulf and cold enough air it makes me happy!  I will drink to that!  

• Like 5

FWIW 12z op gfs shows a bomb off the coast Jan 3. BL a tad too warm verbatim, but it’s very close. Jan 5-6 wave a bit weaker, but with better cold air. I think I’d rather have it switch places. Weaker wave with marginal air, then bombs away on Jan 5. 

Usual disclaimer: it’s the op gfs so this analysis is mostly just for fun

• Like 3

Just now, Terpeast said:

FWIW 12z op gfs shows a bomb off the coast Jan 3. BL a tad too warm verbatim, but it’s very close. Jan 5-6 wave a bit weaker, but with better cold air. I think I’d rather have it switch places. Weaker wave with marginal air, then bombs away on Jan 5. 

Usual disclaimer: it’s the op gfs so this analysis is mostly just for fun

Gfs boutta cook too with the wave after‼️

image.thumb.png.d40fdadf0ae6ecac1e6137f5277d33b7.png

• Like 2

Wow, Haymarket Va Weather.com 8 Jan. for giggles
43°     56% NW 7 mph

Cloudy with rain and snow showers early changing to mainly rain showers in the afternoon. High 43F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

• Humidity61%
  • UV Index2 of 11
  • Sunrise7:28 am
  • Sunset5:05 pm

Mon 08 | Night

27°     60% NNW 4 mph

Snow likely. Low 27F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 60%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected.

• UV Index0 of 11
  • Moonrise4:48 am Waning Crescent
  • Moonset2:06 pm

TWC must get the the 12z GFS early
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

Thanks, I was wondering about that. 1996 keeps popping as #1.

Meanwhile, that was a La Nina lol.  The similarity seems to be with blocking, which we're forecasted to be headed towards. Whether that forecasted -nao comes to fruition might be what determines whether we're in here or the panic room in 2 weeks.

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Wooo baby, GFS brings some Christmas magic!!

8 minutes ago, Conway7305 said:

A little digital joy to the celebration today.  Nice Fantasy Storm on the LR.  

15 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Boom

Prohibition on post D10 snow maps is rescinded for Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

It’s hard not getting excited (unless you’re Webb or a few downers here) where we’re going in January looking at medium range ensembles.  GEFS is pushing + height anomalies into GL on NYD.  I picked this panel a few days later as -NAO is settling in but check out the Pacific.  -EPO, +PNA (and cross polar flow) with a STJ split flow undercutting the ridge with a parade of vorts continuing to enter the CONUS.   Roll this forward a few more days and I find it hard to believe we don’t see accumulating snow in the first 7-10 days of January.

image.thumb.png.05015601a440985b09ece2c98c7d940f.png

• Like 12

It’s hard not getting excited (unless you’re Webb or a few downers here) where we’re going in January looking at medium range ensembles.  GEFS is pushing + height anomalies into GL on NYD.  I picked this panel a few days later as -NAO is settling in but check out the Pacific.  -EPO, +PNA (and cross polar flow) with a STJ split flow undercutting the ridge with a parade of vorts continuing to enter the CONUS.   Roll this forward a few more days and I find it hard to believe we don’t see accumulating snow in the first 7-10 days of January.
image.thumb.png.05015601a440985b09ece2c98c7d940f.png

This frame here definitely intrigues me. The big storm being shown today is roughly 2 weeks out but the pattern load up that eventually rolls downstream to setup that storm is depicted at day 7-8. This timeframe will be crucial to watch over the next 5ish days
  • Like 1