Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Exactly! 
Also, the GEPS looks a little different than the GEFS at the end of its run.

IMG_3727.png

Yes, WW might have less anxiety with this look.

It's pretty clear where the pattern is headed for mid to late Jan. I have always thought any NA blocking for early Jan would be a bonus, and it appears we are headed in that direction. A relatively brief period of -PNA is not a death knell in a Nino, esp if the NA is favorable. Historically a neutral/-PNA has been a feature in some of our snowiest periods during a Nino. Maybe that doesn't work as well anymore, but that's another subject.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yes, WW might have less anxiety with this look.

It's pretty clear where the pattern is headed for mid to late Jan. I have always thought any NA blocking for early Jan would be a bonus, and it appears we are headed in that direction. A relatively brief period of -PNA is not a death knell in a Nino, esp if the NA is favorable. Historically a neutral/-PNA has been a feature in some of our snowiest periods during a Nino. Maybe that doesn't work as well anymore, but that's another subject.

Yeah, that blocking during a Nino is a big time difference maker, even with a -PNA.  Historical analysis is clearcut irt that. Even can mute the decent amp MJO warm phases to where we still score in the upper SE and MA. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This should be a snowstorm in the Shenandoah Valley in late December. Northerly winds and a nice 500 pass. Just sad. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_23.png

Don't be too quick to give up on Friday. 

The Midwest gyre gives many of us soaking rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. As the upper level energy moves across Virginia on Friday, timing and a little more consolidation could give some areas a snowfall similar to Dec. 11. Only a weak surface reflection offshore and no real source of cold air to draw from tend to stack the deck, but this system carries adequate cold air.

Slow it down and add a little more juice could turn the trick, something like planting surface LP over Norfolk at 10 pm Friday.

Some of you guys worry way too much about long range stuff. I haven’t seen anything that says, “Shut the blinds”. I only see things ramping up to get started. The best month of winter isn’t for another month yet anyway. 

Enjoy Christmas and time with friends and family :santa: 

Stop hand-wringing over something you have no control over! It’s bad for the psyche. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Some of you guys worry way too much about long range stuff. I haven’t seen anything that says, “Shut the blinds”. I only see things ramping up to get started. The best month of winter isn’t for another month yet anyway. 

Enjoy Christmas and time with friends and family :santa: 

Stop hand-wringing over something you have no control over! It’s bad for the psyche. 

If our early January HECS doesn’t lock in on the guidance by tomorrow than winter is cancelled!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

12z EPS-

Clear signal for the storm on the 5th- verbatim on the mean the interior looks favored for frozen.

Next wave incoming. Indication of some degree of NS interaction with both. Really good look up top with -EPO/-NAO and TPV over N Hudson.

1704434400-Z1vdQGSoIzg.png

The 5 day 10-15 mean & the end of the 12z EPS continue the good look moving forward.

IMG_3732.png

IMG_3733.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

If our early January HECS doesn’t lock in on the guidance by tomorrow than winter is cancelled!!

I only cancel winter when the temps are above freezing, it's not snowing, and there's no snow on the ground.  If any of those conditions aren't met, I uncancel winter.

28 minutes ago, CAPE said:

12z EPS-

Clear signal for the storm on the 5th- verbatim on the mean the interior looks favored for frozen.

Next wave incoming. Indication of some degree of NS interaction with both. Really good look up top with -EPO/-NAO and TPV over N Hudson.

1704434400-Z1vdQGSoIzg.png

I’m not quite ready to say I’d be surprised if we’re totally skunked through say January 10, but we’re heading in that direction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, WSWL said:

I wonder what the cold is on the other side of the globe crew will come up with now? They also claim it won’t snow because of lack of snow cover and blizzard warnings are up in the plains for over a foot of snow tomorrow with no snow cover. How can that happen?

The plains are farther north. Mid Atlantic has many more moving parts to get right for snow. It's just tough for us in the Mid Atlantic to get good snows.

I used to go up visit Chicago, relatives live up in that area. Gangsta on the mean side of Chicago so much as farts real hard, they get immobilized by meter deep snows.

7 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

lots of double negatives here, so you'll be surprised if we don't get something between now and january 10th?

I’m not there yet, but getting there.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It is looking a bit more complicated now than a few days ago.

Yeah, more northern stream than previously advertised.

• Like 2