Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17/18 Disco/Obs - Rain/Wind Event

Weather Will

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

Flood watch east of Frederick county MD....

Baltimore-Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-Charles-St. Marys-Calvert-
Northwest Montgomery-Central and Southeast Montgomery-Northwest
Howard-Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford-Southeast
Harford-Fairfax-Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Stafford-
Spotsylvania-King George-Eastern Loudoun-Northwest Prince William-
Central and Southeast Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-
Including the cities of Greenbelt, Germantown, Bethesda,
Sterling, Lexington Park, Annapolis, Laurel, Arlington,
Fredericksburg, Cockeysville, Eldersburg, Gaithersburg, Herndon,
Huntingtown, Manassas, Dale City, Leesburg, Severna Park,
Falmouth, North Beach, Franconia, Elkton, Ellicott City, Arnold,
Camp Springs, Falls Church, Dahlgren, Montclair, Reston,
Damascus, Ashburn, Washington, Alexandria, Lake Ridge, College
Park, Glen Burnie, St. Charles, Jarrettsville, Clinton,
Chantilly, Silver Spring, California, Odenton, Westminster,
Reisterstown, Dunkirk, Prince Frederick, Chesapeake Beach, Lusby,
Severn, South Gate, Rockville, Bowie, Aberdeen, Centreville,
Haymarket, Woodbridge, Annandale, Columbia, Lisbon, McLean,
Suitland-Silver Hill, Waldorf, and Baltimore
132 PM EST Sat Dec 16 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE SUNDAY
NIGHT...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of DC, including the following , District of
  Columbia, Maryland, including the following areas, Anne Arundel,
  Calvert, Carroll, Cecil, Central and Southeast Howard, Central and
  Southeast Montgomery, Charles, Northern Baltimore, Northwest
  Harford, Northwest Howard, Northwest Montgomery, Prince Georges,
  Southeast Harford, Southern Baltimore and St. Marys, and Virginia,
  including the following areas, Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria,
  Central and Southeast Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park,
  Eastern Loudoun, Fairfax, King George, Northwest Prince William,
  Spotsylvania and Stafford.

* WHEN...From Sunday evening through early Monday morning

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,
  creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.
  Flooding may occur in poor drainage and urban areas. Storm drains
  and ditches may become clogged with debris.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - One to three inches of rain are mostly likely Sunday evening
    through early Monday morning. This amount of rain could cause
    flooding of small streams, creeks and urban areas. Localized
    amounts up to four inches are possible along and east of
    I-95.

Early Monday morning is 1am to 3am, ha!

6 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 0Z 3K NAM

IMG_2341.png

IMG_2342.png

I know you guys want snow but man I am frackin' JEALOUS! All that rain! 5.5 inches on the Eastern Shore!

I'd give the first 100,000 I make from email marketing to charity for half of that rain!

But its no use. East Coast gets the rain, Tex gets sunshine lol :)

1 hour ago, bigtenfan said:

Just flew in to West Palm Beach.

It was one of the most turbulent descents that I have ever experienced and I fly about 25 times a year.

Florida is just getting demolished, by multiple weather modes. That storm is kind of like in beast mode. That's a rainstorm of several lifetimes, if you enjoy rain.

14 hours ago, bigtenfan said:

Just flew in to West Palm Beach.

It was one of the most turbulent descents that I have ever experienced and I fly about 25 times a year.

UGGHHH, sorry. My oldest son is in ATL tonight, flying between there and DCA tomorrow mid afternoon. Begged him to change his flight because of my suspicions for tomorrow, based on your report this evening. Mr. "I CAN HANDLE IT, DAD" was having no part of it, though.  :( 

Sun AM Update: I talked my son into changing his flight to Mon AM, he's seen some of the radar and storm coverage from FL last night and this morning, and I shared this post with him. Thx for the report, @bigtenfan...you helped me put his travel decision over the edge.  ;) 

• Like 1

Morning AFD from Mount Holly-

As the potent upper-level trough arrives and drives strong low pressure across our area, an intense east to southeast 925 mb jet of 50-80 knots is forecast to lift northward. The strongest part of this low-level jet is across the coastal plain on eastward later this evening into the pre-dawn hours of Monday. It is during this time when the heaviest rain will fall, as precipitable water values rapidly increase to near 1.5 inches across the region. The high precipitable water and ample lift will result in a period of heavy rain, which looks to occur from about late this evening to the early morning hours of Monday. For more details on the flooding potential, see the hydrology section below.

As the above intense low-level jet tracks northward later tonight and early Monday morning, the model forecast soundings particularly across Delmarva and then southern to central New Jersey show increasing elevated instability. The NAM is highest with about 500 J/kg. The profiles are moist therefore the overall instability should be on the weak side, however there will be a period of time where the low-level shear is rather impressive. Since buoyancy should be somewhat limited and rooted above the surface, severe thunderstorms are not expected at this time. Something to keep an eye on though based on the track of the surface low, and for now did add in a thunder chance late tonight and early Monday morning across the above mentioned areas.

The winds will increase dramatically tonight especially closer to the coast. There will be a robust low-level wind field and although the strong warm air advection over and off the cooler ocean waters tends to create a more stable boundary layer, the guidance continues to show 3 hour pressure falls of around 10 mb as the strong surface low arrives overnight. This can compensate for any stable marine influence and result in at least some of the stronger winds from aloft to reach the surface. The model forecast soundings show strong winds right near the surface during its peak later tonight into early Monday morning and this occurs as the boundary layer warms some. Given the latest forecast, no changes were made to the Wind Advisory for our New Jersey coastal zones and also Sussex County, Delaware. Peak wind gusts, as of now, remain forecast to be up to 50 mph. The thinking remains that not enough mixing occurs to bring the stronger winds (60-70 mph gusts) down to the surface, however there could be a small window of opportunity along the coast just ahead of the surface low where a few gusts are closer to 60 mph.

• Like 4

I know we all wish this was snow but I am pretty happy for the rainfall amounts from that last storm and now this one looking like a good 2-3" or more to put another dent in these departures.  I feel like even without ideal set-ups, getting regular storms like this we are going to hit on one or two of them for some good snow

image.png.8ebeed6cba3444c22a9974e35f6c1d33.png

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic