Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 10-11 Storm Event

Go Kart Mozart

57 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

For those craving damaging winds, be careful what you wish for. My house got split in half by a massive 140 year old Norway spruce on February 3 (arctic front - 64 mph gust) and we have been displaced ever since. Gave up on getting back in house anytime soon (Statefarm is so slow and contractors can’t find help) so we are closing on a new house on Friday (out in the country, more land, higher elevation and hopefully more snow). Gonna sell the old house which will be virtually brand new…. Hopefully late spring emoji1696.png. Damaging winds can change your life for sure. With that being said, wind gonna do what wind gonna do, so wishing for or against it won’t change anything lol.

Yikes. Well good things come out of bad sometimes. For God sakes clear any tree within 100 ft of the new house. Trees are nice until they are not.

• Like 5

So after sifting through 4 pages where every other post is a troll or a wishcast, I still can’t tell if i should prepare for high winds here. National grid just texted a warning about power but… seems CYA to me. Locally winds are not a concern here with few exceptions. Should I prepare for 25-30 or like 50-60. Leaning the former but?

2 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

So after sifting through 4 pages where every other post is a troll or a wishcast, I still can’t tell if i should prepare for high winds here. National grid just texted a warning about power but… seems CYA to me. Locally winds are not a concern here with few exceptions. Should I prepare for 25-30 or like 50-60. Leaning the former but?

You in Lowell? No concern. 

2 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

45-50 tomorrow morning perhaps as cold advection moves in. 

The following is a mash-up of climatology with personal anecdotal ( so tfwiw ) but pre-cold frontal: this system strikes me as not very much above mediocrity for W-N when considering the usual wind/mixing potential. 

The SE coastal plain/ Blue Hill, Cape Ann and up somewhere along coastal Maine - it'll depend on vertical mixing.  I haven't delved into the soundings because I'm not getting paid and frankly the situation is uninteresting otherwise.  But if you live in those area, you may hear it over the eaves, or even experience blinking or terminating lights - but comparing history?  Nah. I've seen more vivid synoptic tapestry fail.  I'm not sure this is an October 2017 (?) whenever that was

Having said that ... I'd be more concerned along the (probable -) ribbon echo squall as it cyclically bows and wanes it's way E; as separate very brief wind burst concern, that'll be turbulent mixing. That could happen inland. 

What makes this system different than a straight up climate cold front, the kind that displaces windy mist/showery WCB that happens every so-often in Novie and Decs (sometimes January's too), is that there is a rapid developing Miller A along the boundary. That does introduce a bit of an unknown over the climate picture of standard warm wet wind end abruptly in squall ordeal at this time of year.  There's a weird counter intuitive aspect - the Miller A deepening as it approaches actually offset the PGF in the other direction - or can. Depends on the d(p). This may lower the wind scouring inland during the WCB.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, snowgeek said:

For those craving damaging winds, be careful what you wish for. My house got split in half by a massive 140 year old Norway spruce on February 3 (arctic front - 64 mph gust) and we have been displaced ever since. Gave up on getting back in house anytime soon (Statefarm is so slow and contractors can’t find help) so we are closing on a new house on Friday (out in the country, more land, higher elevation and hopefully more snow). Gonna sell the old house which will be virtually brand new…. Hopefully late spring emoji1696.png. Damaging winds can change your life for sure. With that being said, wind gonna do what wind gonna do, so wishing for or against it won’t change anything lol.

Wow and from an Arctic front. This current storm has already ruined enough lives down in Tennessee.