Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 2023 Winter Storm

madwx

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

How about we hold off starting storm threads until it is within 3 days (i.e. worthless NAM range)???  

I think this is good plan, having a "rule" will help with the urge to start a thread the second it feels semi plausible for an event to occur. My issue is that the thought of not starting a thread early enough for an event that does happen gives me anxiety

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What makes it even worse/funnier is that it doesn't even look like the leading wave is gonna produce any snow for the upper midwest either as even thats turned into a strung out mess. Usually for us in Chicago/detroit, minneapolis and upper midwest gotta get their snow first as they see the colder temps earlier.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

The rug pull of all rug pulls.

Models are seemingly worse at 120 hrs than they were a few years ago.  GFS "improvements" have really turned it into a steaming shit pile. 

All deterministic models are shit for the most part. GraphCast had a much better handle on the overall large-scale pattern for this timeframe.

It seems like the models used to mostly under develop storms. This used to show itself in the form of the well known nw trend that seemed prevalent as recently as about 10 years ago. Now, it seems to have gone completely opposite. Is this due to attempts to fix that particular issue with models?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Just what is GraphCast?

It seems basically to be an AI composite of weather data/other models which is interesting, because that's more or less what I considered normal weather models to be already. Kind of cool if it actually works well which I don't see how it would be a downgrade in any way.

20 minutes ago, st0rmbrkr said:

Why does it matter if a thread is started and the storm doesn't come to fruition?  Is there a limit to the number of threads on this Forum?  Is there nothing to be learned or discussed from a system or model that changes?

Just our pride that gets hurt methinks 

8 hours ago, st0rmbrkr said:

Why does it matter if a thread is started and the storm doesn't come to fruition?  Is there a limit to the number of threads on this Forum?  Is there nothing to be learned or discussed from a system or model that changes?

You have a point, but you're taking the banter too seriously.

People are just frustrated about the general pattern, and the evolution of the storm that thread was created for only added to the frustration. People tend ot become irrationally flippant when they're frustrated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:31 AM, Stevo6899 said:

What makes it even worse/funnier is that it doesn't even look like the leading wave is gonna produce any snow for the upper midwest either as even thats turned into a strung out mess. Usually for us in Chicago/detroit, minneapolis and upper midwest gotta get their snow first as they see the colder temps earlier.

fooled u

image.png.a90a66bcdf41566d3351cf0c13793eb0.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

fooled u

image.png.a90a66bcdf41566d3351cf0c13793eb0.png

Instead of upper midwest, I should've said further east into Wisconsin and u.p. where models for a few days were showing decent snows there, now just rain lol. But yea atleast someone is seeing snow. If it ain't gonna snow, I'll take days like today in the 50s. Sun felt great.

• Like 2