Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 2023 Winter Storm

madwx

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Still too early to lock in a certain scenario, but the 12z guidance consensus suggests less of a snow threat for the LOT CWA and a severe threat potentially extending into a portion of the CWA on Saturday PM.

Seems like both the GFS and Euro are wanting to take the low right over the CWA. Cold air ends up late to the party. Ensembles are still all over the freaking place with some well north and some well south. Could be in worse positioning as this one gets dialed in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geddyweather said:

Might have to turn this into a late season SVR thread if the trend keeps up...:lol:

Seriously though. Went from snowmaker potential to nearly 60 degree dews getting advected in. Go figure.

It's December and in the words of Horace Greeley, "Go west young man". While Toledo has certainly cashed in before on early season storms, looking at the maps @Chinookhas on his website of past snowstorms the one common thread has been an airmass where temps are 10 degrees and below with a Miller C type track. Those two things happen and there's definitely a chance

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

It's December and in the words of Horace Greeley, "Go west young man". While Toledo has certainly cashed in before on early season storms, looking at the maps @Chinookhas on his website of past snowstorms the one common thread has been an airmass where temps are 10 degrees and below with a Miller C type track. Those two things happen and there's definitely a chance

Dude I saw so much snow out in Colorado, I don't even care. It's possible I'm still shoveling from 2021. I went to say goodbye to Cameron Pass in June 2022 and I made a couple of snowballs. But then again, Toledo had verifiable ground blizzard conditions a year ago... in one of the least snowy years ever. Actually it's nice to see green grass in every neighborhood without dozens of sprinklers on every lawn.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Dude I saw so much snow out in Colorado, I don't even care. It's possible I'm still shoveling from 2021. I went to say goodbye to Cameron Pass in June 2022 and I made a couple of snowballs. But then again, Toledo had verifiable ground blizzard conditions a year ago... in one of the least snowy years ever. Actually it's nice to see green grass in every neighborhood without dozens of sprinklers on every lawn.

Isn't that around 12,000 feet in elevation? 

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

I'd have waited another day or so on this one, due to the pattern.

The 18z GFS is what you'd expect to get in this progressive pattern for much of our region...a glorified FROPA.

you lose some and you lose some other ones

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Isn't that around 12,000 feet in elevation? 

Cameron is at 10276 and accumulates a lot of snow since it's in the north. I've seen two moose there and have heard others tell me they've seen moose. Some of the highest passes are 12000 like Independence. Monarch is 11300, Rocky Mountain Natl Park has 12108 but that's not a high-volume US highway for shipping and commerce. Berthoud pass is at 11300 on US 40, a main commerce road. If you've got a well-built SUV, and a lot of experience, you can drive an old mining road nearly all the way to Mt. Antero where the road stops at 13800. Then I-70 and US-6 almost go in the same spot but I-70 tunnels through Loveland Mountain (not to be confused with Loveland city.) If you like weather observations from METARS, K0CO (yes, that's right, mixed numbers and letters) is above Berthoud pass and pretty much just has a freezing blizzard all the time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

I'd have waited another day or so on this one, due to the pattern.

The 18z GFS is what you'd expect to get in this progressive pattern for much of our region...a glorified FROPA.

This is what I am expecting as well, southern piece is too slow northern piece too fast.