Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Of course the battery in my weather station goes bad tonight. Not going to have any real time backyard obs because I am too lazy and warm to go outside and change it lol 

Ironically enough mine just set off the “low sensor battery” about an hour ago as well. 

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Yet another miss for Northeast Indiana upcoming, especially if the King reigns. More rain and the bad thing about this one is that it will be followed by a barren arctic tundra for days on end.

I feel like a permanent resident in this forum.  Misses NW or south have been a reoccurring theme.  :(

Yet another miss for Northeast Indiana upcoming, especially if the King reigns. More rain and the bad thing about this one is that it will be followed by a barren arctic tundra for days on end.

Tomorrow evening is when the picture becomes much clearer. Sampling occurs, the current system moves out and the NAM comes into play. Patience folks

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

big pattern change looking like it could produce a couple rainers followed by CAD

not an ideal follow up to december imo 

If that’s what it ends up being, Dec would be more enjoyable. Been close to two years now since I’ve busted out the shovel. 

12 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

big pattern change looking like it could produce a couple rainers followed by CAD

not an ideal follow up to december imo 

It would almost guarantee a below normal snow season here because cold and dry doesn't yield much snow even with some lake effect.

A part of me wants Detroit to see a winter of relative futility, just to see how @michsnowfreak would react.

I know if all else fails, February seems to always come through to save the day. That said, January so far isn't looking as hot as the broader pattern originally suggested for snow prospects in/around the Motor City (it's looking cold but dry)...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Powerball said:

A part of me wants Detroit to see a winter of relative futility, just to see how @michsnowfreak would react.

I know if all else fails, February seems to always come through to save the day. That said, January so far isn't looking as hot as the broader pattern originally suggested for snow prospects in/around the Motor City (it's looking cold but dry)...

Not in a Nino, which is why if we don't get much Friday that would almost seal it for a below normal snow for the season. You can't just punt Dec and January and hope that Feb/Mar pay off.

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

I think @michsnowfreak would go nuts if he experienced 4 of the top 5 least snowiest winters on record in a period of 10 years like we did in Toronto from 2006-2016. And if so, he can pull out any historic stat but I know there's nothing as unprecedented as experiencing 4 futility winters in 10 years. 

That being said, February's are not as favorable for snow for our region as January is in El Nino's, especially strong El Nino's. But thing's can always change. Like how rare it is to get two sub 980 Low's in 4 days that both end up being cutters in an El Nino. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I think @michsnowfreak would go nuts if he experienced 4 of the top 5 least snowiest winters on record in a period of 10 years like we did in Toronto from 2006-2016. And if so, he can pull out any historic stat but I know there's nothing as unprecedented as experiencing 4 futility winters in 10 years. 

That being said, February's are not as favorable for snow for our region as January is in El Nino's, especially strong El Nino's. But thing's can always change. Like how rare it is to get two sub 980 Low's in 4 days that both end up being cutters in an El Nino. 

Well, there was February 2010...

• Like 2

Well this figures...

Hydrologic Outlook
National Weather Service Indianapolis IN
309 PM EST Wed Jan 10 2024

…Heavy Rainfall Expected over Central Indiana Friday…

An active weather pattern this week will bring a second round of
heavy  rainfall on Friday. Current forecast totals for Friday of
around one to two inches across central Indiana with locally higher
amounts will bring additional river rises after the responses from
early week rains of 1 to 1.5 inches. Area river and stream levels
have been very low up to this point due to ongoing drought, but this
round of heavy rainfall Friday could bring many river locations to
action stage, which will mean faster flows and higher stages than
have been seen in quite some time. While widespread flooding is not
currently expected, some smaller, faster responding streams and even
a few spots along the Wabash could see minor flooding develop
depending on rainfall rates and where the heaviest rain falls. Stay
weather aware and monitor for any possible flood watches or warnings
going into and through the weekend.
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Looking forward to that awesome bare ground for the coming arctic outbreak. Will have that really wasteland look to it

Does AA get LES during these outbreaks?  Normally my area will get LES while not Allegan/GRR worthy it still can be decent.  It is interesting how the LES band diminishes or even dies out prior to Lansing but then picks up over the hills around here.

5 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Im hoping we can get enough of a front end dump and backside 1-2" that we aren't fully looking at bare ground next week with the cold. Toronto saw 5cm yesterday so up to 23cm on the season. 

5 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Does AA get LES during these outbreaks?  Normally my area will get LES while not Allegan/GRR worthy it still can be decent.  It is interesting how the LES band diminishes or even dies out prior to Lansing but then picks up over the hills around here.

Really depends how they set up. Obviously not like the west side of the state. Definitely would like to be a couple more counties west at least. Hell my profile pic is of during a nasty snow squall I think 6 years or so back. I’ve always wondered if it’s possible to get a nasty lake effect event from Erie if winds come from the east.

8 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Really depends how they set up. Obviously not like the west side of the state. Definitely would like to be a couple more counties west at least. Hell my profile pic is of during a nasty snow squall I think 6 years or so back. I’ve always wondered if it’s possible to get a nasty lake effect event from Erie if winds come from the east.

I have not heard of Toledo or Monroe ever getting a big east wind LES event.  I know it is possible and probably has happened.  At MTU (Houghton) a couple of my best LES events were E/ENE winds off Superior but they were not common to get at all.

2 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I have not heard of Toledo or Monroe ever getting a big east wind LES event.  I know it is possible and probably has happened.  At MTU (Houghton) a couple of my best LES events were E/ENE winds off Superior but they were not common to get at all.

I experienced a freak lake event in Toledo in the early 90's.  Weirdist  thing I've ever experienced and remember looking at the radar in disbelief.  Don't remember the set up but it's the only time i've experienced it in my life time.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:23 PM, WestMichigan said:

Wish I had one of those for my tractor.  They are soooo expensive.

I want a thing with a big blade to brake off packed down snow and ice.  Snowblower is kind of useless if you procrastinate and pack the snow down hard by driving over it.  With winters lately I’m used to just driving over the snow and waiting for it to melt.

I was not sure it was going to melt before the coming cold so I had to chip it all off manually so that it doesn’t become a skating rink.  I somehow injured my rotator cuff shoving the shovel into the ice.  Ugh.  Maybe should have salted it first to get it softer.