Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Looks like if we're lucky, maybe someone gets a chance at squeezing something out of a clipperish thang next Thursdayish. Hopefully no mixing issues with that <_<

Nobody kill me..(I know we all have been begging for a GLC).  But I miss the guarantee of a clipper.  One of those hybrid west to east overperformers with a gulf/Pac connection 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Nobody kill me..(I know we all have been begging for a GLC).  But I miss the guarantee of a clipper.  One of those hybrid west to east overperformers with a gulf/Pac connection 

That's exactly what I'm saying. I have only fond memories of them

• Like 1

Yeah - that whole pattern change sucked. Ground is pretty bare and what is around is just getting wind whipped into the fields

happened last year around Christmas time too. Ton of rain, then bitter cold and wind 

The current -EPO/-NAO/-AO/-PNA regime will transition to a temporary +PNA later this week as the NAO block breaks down. Long lived AK ridging (-EPO) will retrograde to Aleutian ridging, with deep troughing along the west coast up to AK, setting up a +EPO and amplifying the ridging downstream.

This entails a mild week next week, though how far AN will depend on getting a system with higher Td into the region and melting the extensive snow and ice cover. It appears possible but too far out to be a lock.

The warm-up does look to be relatively short-lived, however, as the EPS, GEFS, and GEPS are in good agreement in the typical El Niño Aleutian troughing being displaced well to the south/southwest, which will set up another round of -EPO, though 2 of the 3 (EPS and GEPS) ensembles indicate that pairing with a +PNA, which would tend to be a drier, clipperish, LES pattern. The GEFS is far enough west with the AK ridging to have an interesting look for more of the sub-forum. It appears we're looking at a +AO/+NAO for that stretch, unlike now.

We're talking out at the end of these ensembles though, so wouldn't put too much stock in either outcome yet. Main point is that the warm-up next week does not look to be the end of winter temps, and we'll see on the details, barring changes from the general pattern progression.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Chicago916 said:

Thursday and Friday look interesting for some snow? Lake enhancement/effect possible? Higher ratio snow without mixing issues.

Both NAM/CMC a bit further north and wetter than EURO/GFS.   0.4 of precip modeled and would get interesting with high ratios and some Lake Effect